Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Can't open Icons from the desktop

by vibeman / June 11, 2010 3:40 AM PDT

When I click on the desktop icons as usual, nothing will open.
I have to go to the start menu and click on them to open the programs.
Please assist.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open Icons from the desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open Icons from the desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure you are not the victim of a practical joke?
by dannydee1978 / June 12, 2010 2:06 AM PDT

I wonder if you have been the victim of a practical joke, I say this because what you are describing is similar to a joke a played on a friend recently.
I took a screen shot of his desktop and saved that. I then made a new folder, put all his desktop icons in it and moved that folder to his documents.
I then replaced his original wallpaper with the screenshot I had taken, resulting in the desktop looking the same as before yet completely unable to click any icons as they were simply part of the screenshot image

Collapse -
not much to go on...questions
by Brechan / June 12, 2010 3:16 AM PDT

when did this start to happen (icons not working) ?
did you install (or remove) any programs lately that could affect your desktop?
have you checked for malware or viruses (using a program such as SuperAntiSpyware)?
have you tried restoring the PC to an earlier time when it worked properly?

Collapse -
Can't open desktop icons
by vibeman / June 12, 2010 3:40 AM PDT

Thanks Guys.
I eventually did a "System Restore'. All is OK.
Still don't know what caused this problem.
Have a great day.

Collapse -
Same with me
by Mqqses / June 14, 2012 12:38 AM PDT

This is happening to me too. I believe it began after Windows did some updates a couple of days ago. I can only open folders and programs on my dektop by going to C:\users\me\desktop. Not very convenient!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.