Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Can't open .doc or .pdf mail Yahoo mail attachments

by toryander / December 17, 2008 6:06 AM PST

This is a strange one. I am working on a Dell Laptop running Vista. When I receive an email on my premium Yahoo mail account with a .doc or .pdf attachment I can download it just fine (it appears). But when I go to open it (and I have the programs on board to read either type of file)MS Word tells me that the file name in invalid or the path name is incorrect. I can go find the file I downloaded and everything looks correct. The files are recognized as .doc or .pdf by the computer. But they will not open. I have tried changing the file names to no effect. What is interesting is that I can forward the email to my gmail account, download and open the file just fine on the same computer. A major clue is that the 67kb file is listed as only a 57.9kb file when I download through Yahoo (it's a 67kb file through gmail). I called Yahoo support. She logged into my account, downloaded and opened the very same file just fine through Yahoo. So the problem appears to be a combination of my computer/yahoo. Does anyone have any insights on this phenomenon?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't open .doc or .pdf mail Yahoo mail attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't open .doc or .pdf mail Yahoo mail attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thats
by CMN240967 / December 17, 2008 6:21 AM PST

Thats quite a strange one, does this happen to every email with either of those types of files attatched?

Collapse -
Every time
by toryander / December 17, 2008 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thats

Yes. I first noticed it when my son emailed me a college paper he had just written (.doc). I couldn't open the downloaded file. Then he sent it to me .pdf. Still couldn't open it. I then chose a .doc file on my own computer that I had created and could open just fine before emailing. I emailed it to myself, downloaded it, but could not open it (appears to missing about 10kb. I then forwarded the email to my gmail account and downloaded and read it with no problem (no missing bytes). It's annoying. Someone who can correctly explain this one gets my vote for Master Computer Geek.

Collapse -
Every time
by dawn_vaughn_court / March 18, 2013 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Every time

I am so glad to find your post. I have had the same problem since yahoo changed again. I had to forward my email with pdf attached to my old email address and I could open.

Thank you, thank you

Collapse -
Found someone else with the same problem
by toryander / January 19, 2009 11:30 AM PST

I actually ran into someone else who is experiencing the same problem. When she downloads files from Yahoo Mail her files arrive, but are corrupted. When she downloads the same file through gmail there are no problems. Now I don't feel so alone in the world.

Collapse -
I am experiencing the same problem.
by texan76063 / January 20, 2009 5:14 AM PST

I have had my yahoo acct for years and so has my husband. As of 1/16/09 I had people email me doc & pdf files and all of a sudden could no longer open them. I forwarded them to my husbands email acct and was able to open them. The strange thing is that I did it on the same computer..did not change locations. I did no updates or anything on Friday, was able to open them in the morning and now cant do anything unless I send them to a different email address...

Collapse -
Here is a fix for Yahoo Attachment Downloads
by NickGlenn / February 26, 2009 10:18 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.