Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

can't open cd-r x-ray picts .dat file

by mitch klein / February 29, 2012 12:09 AM PST

downloaded microsoft recomended Free File Opener,it only shows binary 01 etc. no picture,says format not recognized,type of file not supported.What can i do?really need to monitor progression of x-rays.Can anyone help? mitch

mitch klein has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't open cd-r x-ray picts .dat file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't open cd-r x-ray picts .dat file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mitch klein

Collapse -
Frequently, Such X-Ray Discs Contain The Viewer Software
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 4:44 AM PST

You may need to install it from the disc, or in some cases, go to the website of the disc manufacturer and download their viewer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Re: .dat file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 12:45 AM PST

The .dat extension generally is used to mean "this file contains data. You have to run the right program to open it. Ask the person you got the file from what the right program is. And even then, it might be necessary to rename the file to another extension.

Kees

Collapse -
THANKS,I appreciate the input it is a KODAK file so now
by mitch klein / February 29, 2012 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: .dat file

so now i guess i will see if KODAK is free or it is a pay to use service.I use 2010 hp-pavillion laptop,running win7 64bit home premium pkg 1

Collapse -
Whoever you got the CD from ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 29, 2012 12:15 PM PST

can tell you what software you need to view it with, and might even be able to provide it to you as the viewer software is normally free. They can best tell you what works best with what they use.

If you don't want to wait to talk to them, the file is normally in DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communications In Medicine) format so here is a list of DICOM file viewers you can try (and some are better while others are worse than average):
http://xrayscan.com/software/free-dicom-viewers.php

You might also want to look at the DICOM home page where, under Technical Assistance, they offer a link to obtain free viewers - http://medical.nema.org/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.