Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can't manage router- typing IP address doesn't work(port fwd

by consistence247365 / June 6, 2009 1:17 PM PDT

Hey,

I have setup a Static IP address through Windows XP, and I am trying to forward ports to my Xbox 360 (to avoid Strict NAT settings). The problem right now is that I cannot access my routers set up page.

I am using a D-Link WBR-2310, which is not installed on the PC, but runs a password-protected wireless network. I have run IPconfig, and have obtained the IP address and Default Gateway. When I type either in my Web Browser (tried Firefox/IE) I am led to my DSL modem's setup page and not my wireless router.

I have tried every IP address possible (from the default router address to the IPconfig) and I cannot access my wireless router setup. Through the D-Link website, I have also tried to use an emulator, but I am unable to make any changed regarding Port Forwarding. Once again, my wireless router is not installed, and the installation is not working because "The router is not detected- Error 322"

I have been trying to solve this problem for the past 4 hours with no luck so I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't manage router- typing IP address doesn't work(port fwd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't manage router- typing IP address doesn't work(port fwd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Disconnect modem and reboot router.
by fihart / June 6, 2009 4:03 PM PDT

The problem is that the two have matched IP addresses.

Collapse -
Re:
by consistence247365 / June 6, 2009 6:49 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea as to how I can solve this?

Collapse -
I don't claim to know all about separate modem setups....
by fihart / June 6, 2009 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

....but my experience was that the router adopts the modem's IP address (or vice versa). In order to access the router you may have to disconnect the modem and reboot or reset the router (though I didn't have that problem you describe with a Dlink cable router I worked on).

Collapse -
"emulator" is a dead end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2009 11:50 PM PDT

Let's not use or speak of that again.

In this forum in the top or second post and reply number 17 shows how to use your DSL modem's router and add your new D-Link WBR-2310.

This setup is slightly advanced so until you read our top posts in this forum and specifically reply 17 I expect most to be confused by this.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by consistence247365 / June 7, 2009 6:50 AM PDT

Thank You Bob,

I have read the Reply 17, which redirects me to the following site:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

I am quite confused on what to do, I have had this router for over 2 years and I have usually been able to access its management. I had to reinstall Windows XP, and I have been unable to reinstall the routers software (which I am told is not too helpful). As mentioned earlier, I have set up a static IP address, and I am trying to forward this port to my Xbox 360.

I'm sorry if I am repeating myself, but I have no idea where to go. I am unable to manage anything related to the router, and therefore, I don't think I can follow the instructions on the website (which asks me to change the IP address of my router, which I am unable to do). I feel as I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

Thank you for help and patience

Collapse -
Since you did write
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2009 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

That you land at the modem+router page then it is very possible the moder+router (sorry can't find where you share it's make, model and settings) is performing as a router. When you have that situation then you configure the next router as noted in reply 17.

Now you write it worked before but since the modem+router could have been reset and taken up the job of the DHCP server and router we have to forget how it worked before and approach this as if it's the usual new setup.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.