Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Can't make new folder in XP

by never_the_machine_forever / July 12, 2008 2:22 AM PDT

Okay,people. I need some help here. See i've been using clean up utilities 2007 to give my laptop a good enema to get it running well, and i think i've messed with a setting i shouldn't have. now when i right click in any folder it doesn't give me the option to create a new folder; all it does is give me the option to change the way i want to view the folder (tiles, thumbnails, etc etc..) and graphic options (eg the desktop gives me the ARRANGE ICONS BY option, but still no folder making option. when i switched on the common tasks option again, I DO get an option to create a new folder, but when i try all i get is the error chime, and--you guessed it--no new folder. what have i screwed with? I've tried to backtrack but i can't find any setting that will fix this and it's getting annoying now

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't make new folder in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't make new folder in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't make new folder in XP
by Tufenuf / July 12, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 286 (left column) and click on "Restore the "New" Context Menu to Default" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. It should correct your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
can't make new folder in XP
by never_the_machine_forever / July 12, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

nah, didn't help, but it's a handy site, nonetheless. thanks for trying tho Happy

Collapse -
(NT) And did you reboot after?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2008 7:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't understand.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 12, 2008 6:31 AM PDT

What software are you using when you try to create a new folder?

When I am in Windows Explorer and I have highlighted any folder, if I right click it I do not see an option to create a new folder. That seems proper to me unless my own system has been wrong all this time.

If I want to create a new sub-folder I have two options. In the pane on the right hand side, right click any blank area and select
New > Folder. Or, with the parent folder highlighted, go to File > New > Folder.

What did I miss from your post?

Mark

Collapse -
I don't even have the option
by never_the_machine_forever / July 15, 2008 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't understand.

to create a new folder anywhere. I used to be able to, up until maybe a month ago, but when i right click or try the clicking on the file tab there is no option at all for creating a new folder. eg: when i click file in my documents, but have no folder highlighted my options are (usually greyed out:

Create shortcut
delete
rename
properties
-----------
close

it's differenmt when i highlight a folder:

open
explore
search
----------
sharing and security
scan with antivirus
-----------
send to
-----------
Create shortcut
delete
rename
properties
-----------
close

and by right clicking an empty space in my documents (or any folder for that matter) my options are:

view
---------
arrange icons by
refresh
----------
paste
paste shortcut (paste and paste shortcut are greyed out)
-----------
properties

that seems to be the root of my problem: the function that allows me to make new folders seems to have disappeared or stopped working.

Collapse -
I think Markflax had it right...
by SanCarlosScott / July 15, 2008 2:45 AM PDT

I do not believe New with its New Folder sub-option is supposed to appear when you right click on a folder in the left pane of Windows Explorer, rather when you right click on a blank area in the right pane, just as Markflax said. Your response did not indicate that you had tried that. Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here.

Collapse -
Yes I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

Again, everything seems proper here.

Perhaps a test would help, never_the_machine_forever.

Open My Computer, and change the display by clicking the 'Folders' button in the button menu options. This changes My Computer to a Windows Explorer display with two panes, the left showing the drives, shared folders, and User Document folders, and the right showing the contents of any highlighted folders.

Nw, do the following;

1] In the left pane find and click the '+' sign against Local Disk (C: ). This expands the C drive.

2] Now, highlight the Local Disk (C: ).

3] If you now goto the 'File' menu option along the top, and click, the File menu should expand. Do you see "New >", and if so, if you highlight New, do you see options for Folder, Shortcut, and other options?

If so, that is how you create a new folder. If you don't, we need to investigate further.

Mark

Collapse -
I've tried your suggestion
by never_the_machine_forever / July 15, 2008 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I agree.

but still no luck. when i follow your steps and expand the file menu this is what i get:

create shortcut
delete
rename
properties
------------
HDD (C:) ------> (expanded menu) explore
----------- open
close search
-----------
sharing and security
scan with antivirus
-----------
format
-----------
copy
-----------
create shortcut
-----------
properties

i don't know if it'll make a difference, but its a 'british' OEM copy of windows that was preinstalled when i bought the computer 4 years ago, so i don't even own a copy of the windows disk.

also, tune up utilities has been scanning and cleaning out the registry. That's my prime suspect anyway, but does microsoft offer support for this type of thing?

and thanks for the advice guys; i really do appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Not quite right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2008 5:42 AM PDT

Sorry, but that's still not what I asked.

If I do the same as you I get the same options. Doing the same as you;

1] Expand C by clicking the '+' sign.

2] Hold the mouse cursor over C and right click.

3] Options in the Context Menu are;

Collapse
Explore
Open
Scan with AVG AntiSpyware
Sharing and Security...
Backup
Scan with AVG Free
Format
Copy
Rename
Properties

But that is not what I asked you to do, so, can we try again? Happy

Please, follow my instructions precisely. If you cannot see both my instructions and the My Computer window on the same screen, copy the text of my instructions, paste them into your Word Processor, or into Notepad, and print them.

1] Open My Computer

2] Click the "Folder" button on the button menu options.

3] Click the '+' sign next to HDD (C), (with my system HDD (C) is shown as Local Disk (C: ). It makes no difference).

4] Highlight HDD (C). Do this by clicking HDD (C) just once.

5] Goto the top menu options where 'File' is and click File

6] Do you see, as the first option in the file menu, "New >"?

7] If so, click New > to display the secondary option. You should see the Folder option. Click that.

If that still doesn't work, can you make sure the File menu is displayed, then press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. This will copy the display so you can paste this into your Image editor, (Paint will do). You can then save this as JPEG file, and upload it to ImageShack, let us know the url web address and we can see the image.

Mark

Mark

Collapse -
aha! got it!
by never_the_machine_forever / July 15, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I agree.

i tried tufenuf's suggestion again, and this time it seemed to work, when it failed twice before. thanks for your time and your suggestions guys. you have the know-how in far greater doses than I, obviously. but, er... if something goes wrong again, i know where to turn.

Thanks again. N.T.M.F

Collapse -
Crossed posts.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2008 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: aha! got it!

Glad you got it working. Our posts crossed.

I still think that the procedure I gave would have worked, but I'm glad you got it sorted.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark - I am having the same issue
by randyward10 / December 2, 2011 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Crossed posts.

Mark I am having the same issue there is no tab to create a new folder or link, i followed your advice and when i highlight the c drive and go to file New is not there.

Any advice would be appreciated

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.