Computer Newbies forum

Can't make my PC transmit sound through HDMI cable to my TV

by alexandercruz / January 12, 2013 9:38 PM PST

So I connected my HDMI cable with one terminal to my graphics card and with the other one on the back of my TV.The image is amazing, but I can't get my PC to also transmit sound to my TV. I've set my default device as below, but it still doesn't work . My TV is a Samsung LE32C530 updated with the latest firmware version.

My pc specs are as follows :
Motherboard : Intel H55M-LE
CPU : Intel Core i3 540
GPU : nVidia GTS 250 (1 GB RAM version)
Audio : 7.1 CH HD Audio (VIA VT1718S Audio Codec) - integrated on the motherboard

for more information about my chipset, go here :

Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't make my PC transmit sound through HDMI cable to my TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't make my PC transmit sound through HDMI cable to my TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by samkh / January 12, 2013 11:49 PM PST

usually have a setting for turning internal speakers on/off for inputs to TV.

Collapse -
by alexandercruz / January 13, 2013 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: TVs

i don't know exactly what you mean, what setting are you talking about ?

Collapse -
Audio settings
by pgc3 / January 14, 2013 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: TVs

Look in your TV menu under sound/audio settings, typically with your remote handpiece, that I believe is what samkh was alluding to.

Collapse -
by alexandercruz / January 14, 2013 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Audio settings

i'm sure this isn't the problem because i used the cable with a laptop and it worked perfectly fine. i didn't even have to change the default playback device, everything was just instant and automatic.

Collapse -
Still need to check. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: reply

Because today's smart tv's update as well as our PCs and this means I get to check everything.

Collapse -
Looking forward to your reply
by alexandercruz / January 14, 2013 2:59 AM PST

Thanks for your replying to my post, I really tried about everything..updating to the latest drivers, updating the TV firmware version, unplugging the speakers, disabling the speakers playback device so that only the HDMI output option may remain available, but nothing seemed to work. I don't think that my chipset or my GPU is too old or too new or something, I know I really sound like a newbie for writing this.

Collapse -
No problem at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 4:09 AM PST

Since it worked before you only need to go over all the settings and be sure the cable is one of those current hdmi 1.4a ones.

Collapse -
my cable
by alexandercruz / January 14, 2013 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: No problem at all.
Collapse -
A HDMI cable from 2005 is iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: my cable

I'd borrow a newer one just to rule that out. gives a short overview of 1.0 to almost current day and a 1.0 cable would be stereo only. Go figure if that's true or not but the fact you have a cable from 8 years ago and HDMI is now 10 years old with 5 or more versions it's something to consider.

Collapse -
ne cable
by alexandercruz / January 14, 2013 5:16 AM PST

I'll buy a cheaper one to check if that's the problem, but if it works I won't know what to do with the other one . Thanks ,however, for your suggestion, I'll come back with a reply to tell you whether it works or not.

Collapse -
Remember I can't write that's it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: ne cable

It's just a possibility. We still get to check everything out from audio settings to trying PCM over Stereo, etc.

Collapse -
new question
by alexandercruz / January 14, 2013 5:22 AM PST

There's still a question : how come that when testing with the laptop, everything worked perfectly fine (sound too) ?

Collapse -
Forum bottomed out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 5:30 AM PST

It only means that this PC may not be setup to send audio over HDMI. You have to know your PC. I've yet to find 2 in a row that need the same setting changed.

Here's one of the screens I see.

See that ATI HDMI item? Your PC should have something like that. But only you know what you have.

Collapse -
GPU manufacturer difference question
by alexandercruz / January 14, 2013 5:33 AM PST

There's one problem : I don't use ATI as a GPU, but nVidia . Could this make a difference ?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 9:04 AM PST

But as the forum bottoms out I can only add that I have never encountered 2 machines in a row that had the same entries in that control panel.

I offered this so you would look and share what's there.

Collapse -
There are
by samkh / January 14, 2013 9:14 AM PST

2 things you need to know about HDTVs, not your computer:

1. If HDMI-CEC is turned "on", reactions with other equipment connected via HDMI are unpredictable. So turn "off" HDMI-CEC.
2. Turn "on" TV speakers if you want to hear sound from sources other than the antenna input.

Read your TV user guide for how to do.

Also am assuming you don't have a receiver in the setup.

Collapse -
I tried everything
by alexandercruz / January 14, 2013 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: There are

but nothing seems to work, I really don't know what to do . I remember that on the laptop, at the playback devices, the name of the device wasn't "HD Audio HDMI out", but "SAMSUNG" . This is what it also writes in my nVidia control panel from my PC( ), but in the playback devices settings there is just "HD Audio HDMI out" . And by the way, I think I'm sure that my cable is v1.4 because it supports 3D Transmission and Audio Return Channel ( ).

Collapse -
No wonder it doesn't work
by samkh / January 14, 2013 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: I tried everything

I looked at your first photo and there is no audio device for the nVidia. Currently the PC is outputting to the VIA (internal chip) audio on the mobo. You have to install a high definition audio driver for the GT250 card. Maybe on the driver CD that came with the card, or download from card mfr or nVidia site.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Still doesn't work
by alexandercruz / January 15, 2013 6:04 AM PST

I tried to install the nVidia HD Audio Driver, but my PC or my GPU doesn't recognize it.I tried to manually install the driver, but it still didn't work (The device couldn't start) . Nevertheless, I came up with what I thought would be a good working idea to uninstall my graphics and my audio drivers, unplug the speakers and my monitor and let just my TV connected to my graphics card through HDMI . The audio driver installed itself and it was different from the one that I previously had (the description differed) . Here's a printscreen I made when I tried the new way : . However, it was in vain and (of course, could it somehow be working ?) didn't get any sound . I manually tried again to install the nVidia HD Audio Driver, but obviously didn't work neither. Now I'm surely out of ideas and I can't imagine why doesn't it want to work.

Collapse -
by samkh / January 15, 2013 10:27 AM PST
In reply to: Still doesn't work

uninstalling all HD Audio drivers on the PC (and don't reboot it) before installing the nVidia driver. Did you install the right nVidia driver? What is your OS?

If you are certain you have the right nVidia driver, and it still fails to install, you could try:

1. In this order: Re-install the OS, then the Intel chipset driver, then the video driver, then the nVidia audio driver, then the remaining drivers.

2. If above fails, you would have to try a different HDMI card. See if you can get an ATI card to work.

Collapse -
I found the solution
by alexandercruz / January 15, 2013 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: Try

When you told me to look for the CD with my GPU manufacturer drivers, I found a cable which is called S/PDIF cable that establishes the connection between the GPU and the chipset audio card. This cable is only used with the nVidia 200 Series and other older types of GPUs from nVidia that support HDMI . I connected the cable and set the default playback devices as "HD Audio HDMI out" and it worked ! I would like to thank you and mr R. Proffitt for your time to help me find solutions. But for you, I don't think I would've found and tried that cable! Thanks again for your time, this website is really helpful !

Collapse -
Wow, congrats!
by samkh / January 15, 2013 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: I found the solution

And I thought I knew video cards SadSadSad
I had never heard of such a layout for audio until you mentioned it and I googled around. Thanks for the pointer. Current GPUs include audio features, which I had assumed.

Collapse -
At first
by alexandercruz / January 16, 2013 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Wow, congrats!

,before posting my problem in this forum, I had read some articles about SPDIF cables remarking that some GPUs need them to establish the connection, but I didn't think I needed it because my GPU is quite powerful. I searched this cable on some online stores from my country, but none seemed to have it in their stock, so this idea dropped at the first time. If it weren't for your suggesting me to look for the manufacturer drivers CD, I wouldn't have thought that this cable came along with the GPU card package.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.