Phones forum

General discussion

Can't make calls or text on unlocked Nokia e72

by 2morgans / October 8, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

I hope someone can help me with this. I am with AT&T and don't have a data plan nor do I want one. I have done alot of research and found alot of information on this forum about the nokia e72 unlocked unbranded phone. I got one off of e-bay that was almost new. I put in my sim card,ended up having to get the puk code and then entered a new unlock code. My sim card still works on my old phone and my contacts show up in the nokia but when I try to send a text or make a call it says the device is offline. It does say offline at the top and I don't know exactly what that means. I wanted to use it some with wifi and wanted the great camera and I really don't want to have to take it to an AT&T store. I had read what Pepe 7 had said about getting this phone and just pop in the sim. Can anyone help Me?!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't make calls or text on unlocked Nokia e72
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't make calls or text on unlocked Nokia e72
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sounds like
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 12:43 PM PDT

....you need to manually update the internet settings for the device. Are you certain it is unlocked??? The store won't be much help with an unlocked/unbranded device.

Collapse -
by 2morgans / October 8, 2010 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: sounds like

Thanks for your response. This is the first time I've ever joined in a forum. The guy I got it from on e-bay said it was unlocked. He used it with T-mobil and said the wi-fi wouldn't work with his school that it required a unique certificate and he'd only had it a week. It looks brand new and most of the accessories haven't even been used. I don't have a data plan and don't want one. When I turn it on it just says Nokia and it ask if I want to work online or offline. I can't find anything in the manual and I didn't know if I had it online if that would mean I'm using data. Also I don't have a signal and there is an x where the signal should be. We don't have 3G right where we live. I contacted him and he asked if I had a signal and said maybe I could try another sim card. I guess I need to know if I'm supposed to chose online if that doesn't mean I'm using data. I can follow directions well for manualy changing something if that's what I need to do. Thanks again for you input.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 2:47 PM PDT

If you don't plan on using data (internet) than leave it in "offline" mode, shouldn't have any effect on your voice usage. Hopefully someone will chime in and offer more specific advice. Wish I could offer more help. I can recommend howardforums.com as an excellent source of cell phone technical information.

Collapse -
by 2morgans / October 9, 2010 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: offline

Thanks for your help. I'll check out howardforums if I don't get any more answers. I just know that with it offline I can't make calls.Thanks again!

Collapse -
It does not sound like this device is actually unlocked
by Pepe7 / October 9, 2010 12:48 PM PDT

This is a huge reason why I do not buy from ebay from unknown entities. They will often say anything to make the sale. If you currently do not get voice service on this phone w/ your currently active ATT SIM, then the device is definitely still locked.

From whom did you receive the unlock code, btw?

Collapse -
by 2morgans / October 9, 2010 1:17 PM PDT

When I first got the phone my son put my sim in and replaced the battery. He thought he had locked it and handed it to me and said to put in the code. I did something wrong and then it said I had to have the puk code. I have a friend that works at an AT&T store and took it to her before closing. She went online and got it for me and I set a new code for it which when I put the sim in my new phone or old phone I have to enter it. I told her I didn't want the data plan but didn't tell her what I knew about the unbranded phones not being on their network. I didn't try to use the phone there. I've googled more about offline on this phone and there have been several places that they said it had to be turned to online. My son has a blackberry curve and he said he thought that if it's online doesn't mean your'e on the internet, that you have to go to a web site to be on and using data. I haven't even tried it again with it online until I'm sure that that doesn't mean on the internet. I emailed the guy I got it from and he said that it had to be online but just not get on the web. So by not getting voice service do you mean making calls? And when I first turn it on it says do you want to work online or offline. I have put offline. So if I had to put in a code the first time does that mean it was locked. If it's locked how do I get it unlocked. I really appreciate your help. I read alot of your post before I decided to try to get a Nokia along with a lot of reviews on the E72. Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Collapse -
by 2morgans / October 9, 2010 2:12 PM PDT

Thought I'd better make an update! I put my sim in the new phone. I have to put in a pin code now when I switch phones. When I turned it on I chose online. I had signal. I could make a call and send a text and received a text. So if I've got it online does that just mean cell network? Also it said AT&T up at the top when I was receiving signal online. I can't remember from previous reading if that's good or bad. I just want to make sure I don't get charged for data I don't want. Thanks again!

Collapse -
One more thing!
by 2morgans / October 10, 2010 8:33 AM PDT

I'm not using the Nokia yet! It did work when I chose online last night.Since it is unbranded and just says Nokia when I first turn it on, will they be able to detect it in a sweep with my sim card in it? I seriously can not afford a $30.00 a month plan! Any more replies that can help me!

Collapse -
You data charges may be per use
by Pepe7 / October 10, 2010 1:11 PM PDT

This is something you can see on your bill, or in the ATT online account manager. If you did not have data on your account previously and did not have your friend make any changes to your ATT account as such, then at the most you would have PPU (pay per use) data, or possibly a data block. If your friend did not go into the phone and configure the data settings for ATT, then you should be fine since it needs the correct settings to be able to access ATT's data network. It does not 'accidentally' happen unless these basic parameter are met. Always keep the phone 'online' if you want to be able to make/receive calls & text messages.

Collapse -
PUK code
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 10, 2010 10:07 AM PDT

The PUK code is a unique code associated with the SIM card, not the phone. The phone does have the option to have a PIN code assigned to it but is not the same thing.

Collapse -
You should be fine
by Pepe7 / October 10, 2010 1:13 PM PDT

Since the E72 is not carried by ATT, you will not have a data plan forced on you. Keep in mind this situation may change at some point in the near future.

Enjoy your new phone.

Collapse -
by 2morgans / October 10, 2010 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: You should be fine

Thankyou so much Pepe7 and birdmantd for all your info. She did not make any changes to the account and didn't change anything on the new phone. She said since it's a smart phone they will add the charge but I didn't tell her and she didn't seem to know that the phone was not carried by AT&T. I told her I'd just wait and see. I just needed to make sure it wouldn't trigger a plan with the sim card now that I know I do need to use the online to actually use the phone. I will start enjoying my new phone since I've had it since Friday and haven't gotten to use it. Guess I'll deal with it if the time comes and they try to force a data plan on me. I will keep track more now on this forum for any updates. I'm glad there are smart helpful people out there and I hope the major cell companies will change their policies in the near future! Thanks again!

Collapse -
Many ATT reps...
by Pepe7 / October 11, 2010 1:45 AM PDT

...still don't completely understand the policies of their own company ;).

I wouldn't count on this policy changing in our favor any time soon. They will all be using some varation of metered data very soon, along with some sort of messaging/data plan requirement for all smartphones and feature phones, if not all phones entirely at some point. More and more prepaid options will fill this niche as time progresses and the network backhauls get stronger to handle all the extra data traffic. Data will continue to be the cash cow which will rule the roost. We can enjoy the small loophole for now, I guess ;).

FWIW, I also wanted to help you understand the whole 'online'/'offline' mode in context, at least with smartphones and how they are used. More often than not I see 'airplane mode' as the equivalent of 'offline' for many smartphones. In this mode both voice and data are off and you are limited to running the locally installed applications on the device. If you start using the terms 'online'/'offline' it becomes confusing since these terms are frequently used to refer to internet access in the colloquial sense. Many cell phone users don't even know their device has an airplane mode they can enjoy once and awhile ;).

Collapse -
You are right
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 11, 2010 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Many ATT reps...

Unfortunately Pepe, you are correct about some reps not understanding At&t's own policies. This is coming from a former CS rep who tried to research these types of issues on my own time. The available resources from the company are limited, at best.

I agree that more tiered data prices are coming. At&t has already stopped selling unlimited data features on it's Smartphones and adopted the 200 MB or 2 GB data features instead. Verizon has essentially made a similar commitment (change date unconfirmed).

Collapse -
(NT) Many ATT reps
by 2morgans / October 11, 2010 2:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
Many ATT reps
by 2morgans / October 11, 2010 2:50 PM PDT

Thankyou for clearing up the online/offline mode.Actually my other phone did have the airplane mode. We have been with AT&T for going on 14 -15 yrs. We had the huge bag phone that we kept in the car to use. I told my husband that I didn't want to renew our contract with them when it came up next yr. There is an unlimited pkg with everything,I think it's connected with Wal-Mart, at Wal-Mart for 45.00. I'm not sure how good the service is but I have a friend that just recently got the package deal,and bought a phone. I will ask her how that's working out. I've been using my phone today and have been playing around with settings. The only problem I'm having is that everyone I talk to sounds like theyr'e in a barrel and there is a popping sound every few seconds when theyr'e talking. They say I sound great. Don't know if I've got it on the wrong setting or if it's something in the phone. If it doesn't get better I'm not sure if I can handle it as it's very annoying! Other wise the messaging works great and it sure has a great camera. Now I need to play with getting some songs on it from my computer. Thanks again!

Collapse -
You are right
by 2morgans / October 11, 2010 2:52 PM PDT

So if theyr'e not selling unlimited data does that mean They Will make even more money with the limited data?

Collapse -
I would wager, yes, they will
by Pepe7 / October 12, 2010 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: You are right

Their bean counters and business analysts have already studied this in great detail. Offering a $15 data plan gives consumers just a little more wiggle room. And most folks don't use the full bucket per month now, so it's somewhat of a wash when you look at the average current data usage.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.