Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Can't log into Netflix

by makaiguy / January 6, 2013 10:59 PM PST

Model UN55ES6100FXZA
Serial Z4TG3CYC600090Z
Purchase May 28, 2012

Netflix worked perfectly until this weekend. After this weekend's Smart Hub reload, I'm unable to log into Netflix via Smart Hub. It brings up a screen where I can enter an email address and password, but I have no way of doing this.

I had this problem when I first bought the TV but a Smart Hub update several months ago fixed it -- when first going to Netflix it gave me the screen providing the code and instructions for logging into Netflix and activating the set. Now the old behaviour has returned.

makaiguy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't log into Netflix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't log into Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by makaiguy

Collapse -
Re: Can't log into Netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: Can't log into Netflix

Hi makaiguy,

Smart Hub had some issues over the weekend. If the problem is still persisting, please let me know.

HD Tech

Collapse -
No change
by makaiguy / January 9, 2013 5:25 AM PST

No change.

When clicking on the Netflix icon, after the red Netflix flash panel is done loading, I get a screen offering two choices - "Member Sign-in" and "Start your free trial". I have had a Netflix account for many years, so "Member Sign-in" would be the proper choice. When I do this, the next screen gives me spaces to log in with my email address and Netflix password -- but with no keyboard there is no way to enter this info.

I had this same problem when I first purchased the set, but after a Smart Hub update, this changed. Then, I didn't get the "Member Sign-in"/"Start your free trial" screen, but rather a screen giving me an access code that I was instructed to enter at www.netflix.com/samsung. When I did this, the set was authorized and on subsequent clicks of the Smart Hub Netflix icon, I was taken directly there with no further need to log on.

Parenthetically, after this weekend's fiasco and manual reloading of other apps, when I first tried to go to my Amazon account, it automatically took me to the access code screen giving me the code to enter at www.amazon.com/samsung (or whatever the address was). Amazon works right, Netflix does not.

I have tried some of the suggestions given in other threads:

- Set time manually rather than automatically (and back, no difference).

- Changed DNS settings to a different DNS server.

- Reinstalled via Tools/Reinstall (although with Netflix highlighted at the time it is not clear if this is reinstalling Smart Hub or Netflix).

I tried to uninstall the Netflix app via Samsung Apps so that I could re-install it, but apparently Netflix is considered a default app and the Uninstall button is greyed out.

Info from Tools/About Smart Hub (I've replaced some digits with * in this public forum where it seemed prudent):
Smart Hub version: 45191-5.0
Memory Usage: 278.77MB / 797.94MB
Unique ID: XTCGYQLK*****
Netflix ESN: SSTV-X***-120***-00 0752***-***(3.13)

Collapse -
Re: No change
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 10, 2013 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: No change

Hi makaiguy,

Very sorry to hear about the continued problems, but I do appreciate the details you've provided. The Netflix ESN means that the TV is associated with a Netflix account currently. So let's see if we can force a dissociation. Try these instructions: http://support.netflix.com/en/node/428#gsc.tab=0

Note: just get as far as you can into the Netflix app, I know you won't be able to get to browsing or instant queue screens, as that would mean you're logged in.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Progress of sorts, I guess ...
by makaiguy / January 10, 2013 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: No change

When at the red Netflix log-in screen described before, then following the instructions in that reference takes me to a gray Netflix screen:

Netflix version: 3.1.3

UI Build: Release-45

Device Software version: T-MST10PAUSC-1025.0 / 3.1.3-release-907160

ESN: [my ESN as before]

Last Error: [nothing listed]

Below this are two buttons:
[Back]
[Start Over]

.. but both of them just take me back to the red log-in screen.

So ... what now?

Collapse -
Re: Progress of sorts, I guess ...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 11, 2013 12:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Disconnect all Netflix devices.
by makaiguy / January 11, 2013 4:47 AM PST

Actually, I saw that was a link in the previous reference you gave me and already tried this this morning. It indicated it could take up to 8 hours to take effect. This afternoon, my Sony Blu-ray player required re-activation but brought up the screen with the required code, as it should, and I was able to go online and re-activate it.

But no change for my Smart Hub tv. Going to Netflix just takes me to that same red sign-on screen mentioned several times already. It doesn't get me to the screen which provides the activation code.

FWIW - the tv still lists my Netflix ESD.

Collapse -
Re: Disconnect all Netflix devices.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 11, 2013 5:32 AM PST

Hi makaiguy,

OK, then I guess the next thing would be to try resetting Smart Hub again. As I mentioned, Smart Hub had some issues this week, so I'd delay trying this step until late this weekend. I'll be back on Monday, so let me know what happens.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Resetting Smart Hub
by makaiguy / January 13, 2013 3:35 AM PST

Okay, now I am truly embarrassed!

"When clicking on the Netflix icon, after the red Netflix flash panel is done loading, I get a screen offering two choices - "Member Sign-in" and "Start your free trial". I have had a Netflix account for many years, so "Member Sign-in" would be the proper choice. When I do this, the next screen gives me spaces to log in with my email address and Netflix password -- but with no keyboard there is no way to enter this info."

Just discovered that by pressing Enter in the text fields, it brings up an on-screen virtual keyboard. Once I entered my email address and standard Netflix password, the logon was completed and everything worked. Upon exiting and returning to Netflix, it now logs me in automatically.

My sincere apologies for taking up your time on a pebkac problem, and thanks for your willingness to work with me.

Collapse -
Please change the "Best Response" indicator
by makaiguy / January 13, 2013 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: Resetting Smart Hub

The first response has been labeled as the "best answer". The solution is actually given in my response directly above, written 1/13/13.

Collapse -
It's a forum limitation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 1:40 AM PST

I've yet to see it change.

Collapse -
Re: Resetting Smart Hub
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2013 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Resetting Smart Hub

Hi makaiguy,

It's no big deal. I guess I should have suggested you try that, but I often have to assume certain information so as to not antagonize people. Wink

Glad to hear you got sorted out.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.