Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't load Windows XP on new SATA hard drive

by tkostuik / April 8, 2010 9:48 AM PDT

I have an Pavilion a6734f desktop. have just installed new Seagate SATA 250 GB (Barracuda 7200) hard drive. I know I need to partition it and format it, however, I do not have a floppy drive or disk with the FDISK option.
Also, the computer does not recognize the harddrive when I use the Windows XP set up disk. The old drive had Vista on it but I want to use my Windows XP instead. I also do not have Vista CDs.
I understand from reading other posts on other forums and this one, I need to install drivers for windows XP to recognize a SATA drive.

Where do I find the drivers? I have looked on ASUS website and they do not have the model of my motherboard listed?? it is an asus IPIBL - LB model - aka: HP Benicia GL8E with socket 775 and Intel G33.
And without a floppy drive can I download drivers from the internet to CD and install them on new drive from CD drive?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't load Windows XP on new SATA hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't load Windows XP on new SATA hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This has been covered
by Jimmy Greystone / April 8, 2010 9:53 AM PDT

This has been covered countless times. Ask HP for the driver, and if they don't have it or won't cough it up, then you're SOL.

What exactly is wrong with Vista anyway? Forget what other people say, what problems do/did YOU have?

Collapse -
It Usually Can Be Accomplished By....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 10:02 AM PDT

...disabling "Native SATA Support" in the BIOS.. Depending on your particular BIOS, it may say "Native SATA Support" or you need to change to "IDE Emulation", "AHCI", or something similar to change the SATA support option in the BIOS.. Once that's done, XP should then recognize the hard drive.

Obtaining the SATA drivers is usually a good idea bu may, or may not be necessary to run the system well.

Hope this helps,.

Collapse -
Can be a tough one
by Steven Haninger / April 8, 2010 10:03 AM PDT

You could try entering the BIOS to see if some IDE emulation or compatibility mode exists for SATA which is common in many MBs. If so, this could get you past your problem for now but, if that PC came with Vista, there's a good possibility that you'll be facing other driver issues as well. ASUS has used at least 2 manufacturer's for SATA controllers that I know of. Originally it was Promise but I believe they currently use Intel's. What you'd be trying to find is an ASUS retail board that matches the specs of your board in hopes that the XP drivers were compatible. SATA should be on the southbridge chip. If you can find it on your board, it may have the manufacturer's name and PN that could be helpful. You're going to need the chipset drivers anyway. Happy hunting.

Collapse -
Thanks to Steven and Grif!
by tkostuik / April 8, 2010 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Can be a tough one

I have changed the RAID setting in the BIOS to IDE and it has allowed me to get to windows setup. One more question though, I haven't continued yet because I haven't partitioned or formatted the drive....does windows do this as part of the set up? I'm sorry but it's been a couple of years since I loaded windows on any computer and don't remember if windows does that or not?

Thanks again for the information!

Collapse -
See the step by step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 11:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yep, Windows XP Has A Step to Parition But Remember...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 12:44 PM PDT mentioned by others, be sure to get all the XP compatible drivers for ALL of your hardware, including chipset/motherboard, audio, video, ethernet, wireless adapater if you have one, etc. I usually write down all the various devices and their driver types while in the previous operating system so at least I know the device names and manufacturers which allows me to hunt down the correct XP version of the driver.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.