Desktops forum

Can't install windows after upgrading motherboard

by djbroadben / December 18, 2012 2:00 PM PST

Ok, I picked up an internal cd rom HP dvd1260 in hopes of smooth sailing to getting my computer online. However, when I went to install windows 7, there is zero option to boot from disk, or even a noticable attempt to read the disk.
The motherboard is a GA-990fxa-ud3, with a AMD phenom II CPU.
I have no idea what to do here.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't install windows after upgrading motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't install windows after upgrading motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does it show in the BIOS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 2:09 PM PST

If not try other SATA ports.

Collapse -
Bios shows the cd drive
by djbroadben / December 18, 2012 2:11 PM PST

Yes, looking into the bios, the cd drive is showing.

Collapse -
OK. Some BIOS have this AHCI/SATA/IDE setting
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 2:16 PM PST

And the boot only works on some ports. try others and try other SATA settings. It's not a CD drive so I'll take that is a typo.

Collapse -
Certain ports?
by djbroadben / December 18, 2012 2:31 PM PST

Is there a way to tell which port or ports have the boot ability, or is it a veritable guessing game?

Collapse -
Which setting?
by djbroadben / December 18, 2012 2:41 PM PST

To further that, which setting?

Collapse -
Yes. Ask the maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Which setting?

Here I just move the cable and re-try. I also look in the BIOS and try the other setting. This can be very upsetting to those that want everything documented.

All Answers

Collapse -
Review setting
by Willy / December 19, 2012 1:52 AM PST

Use SATA 1 or the next available SATA PORT. Also, if it still doesn't appear or acknowledged, then be sure the bios uses legacy or EIDE type links even if SATA. -OR- don't use RAID type connection set in the bios, reset to other setting usually std. ports. or wording noted. If none of this works, then you may have a bad drive, return for warranty issues. Of course, under the bios area again, be sure the setting is showing the boot order as CD drive 1st, save upon exit. I hope this helps.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.