Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Can't install WIN 7, Windows Installer error

by royj47 / October 31, 2009 6:12 AM PDT

I have a Gateway GM5684E, 32 bit, Dual CPU E2180 2.0 GHz, 1.0 GB RAM machine, put in service 12/28/2008 (which is also the last backup of the C: drive). When I try to install WIN 7 I get a "Windows Installer has stopped working" message, followed by a DEP explaination. I have tried to "repair" and "unistall" the Installer thru the Control Panel but, get a message saying it can't be accessed and it must be installed wrong. I have tried to reinstall the Installer, and receive a message saying there isn't enough storage space, and it terminates. I also receive a popup saying "setup.exe the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click to terminate the application." I guess my question I guess is, since I think I am ready to install WIN 7, I have coppied all of my files/photos/etc to disk and deleted them, did a registry cleaner and defrag, can I just do a recovery off of the D: partition, and go from there. I realize that I will lose all updates and will have to wait for all of them to reload but, I've been at this for 16 hours already.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't install WIN 7, Windows Installer error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't install WIN 7, Windows Installer error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why would registry cleaner and defrag help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 7:02 AM PDT

It won't. To install Windows 7, why not boot your Windows 7 DVD and see what it offers?

Collapse -
Windows Installer won't let WIN 7 Install
by royj47 / October 31, 2009 9:43 AM PDT

Started, license clicked, selected upgrade - then the system said to remove the disk and restart in the normal mode and then reinstall the disk to procede. Did that and it still won't install. I get the same error messages. Have tried to reinstall the installer (4.5), have unregisterd it, and re-registered it to no avail.

Collapse -
Looks like a clean install is next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

Sorry but some upgrades can't happen. I can't see enough detail in your posts why yours failed except that nagging registry cleaner. Those tend to break the Windows OS instead of helping.

Collapse -
Installer won't let Windows 7 in
by royj47 / October 31, 2009 11:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Take 2. Try this test.

I had run this prior to starting. The machine is compatible, will need to reinstall a few things, e.g. I-Pod, Windows Mobile Devices. Everything else was a go. Looks like I going to wipe it clean and drop back almost a year. Hope this gets it. Will have to reload all of the updates to VISTA SP2. Guess that's why it's "Trick or Treat" night.

Collapse -
Happy Halloween
by royj47 / October 31, 2009 3:26 PM PDT

Tried to install the factory back up - of course it crashed. So, had to boot with the WIN 7 disk, and do a custom install. I took only 3 hours, including the 1 hour before the Vista crash. Already have over half of my programs reinstalled. Like the way WIN7 looks, and the faster speed. Thanks for the recommendations.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.