Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't install KB973768

by volvogirl / September 9, 2009 4:48 AM PDT

Hi,

I d/l MS Update KB973768 ok but it won't install. The green bar never moves so I finally cancel out. All the other updates installed ok. I have a Dell E520 Windows XP MCE sp2. Searched around and didn't find any info. Anyone else have trouble?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't install KB973768
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't install KB973768
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is for "HtmlInput Object ActiveX Control"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2009 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't install KB973768

I can see by reading http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-037.mspx that a number of antivirus programs, Spybot and a long list of other protection softwares could step in and block this update.

Read the bulletin and think over if you can disconnect the internet, disable firewalls, antivirus, spybot and what else to do this install.
Bob

Collapse -
Security Update for Windows XP (KB973768)
by oldmacdonaldtoo / September 10, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

I am also having a problem and tried closing AV and Firewall with no success.

Dave

Collapse -
Deep thinking required.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2009 3:38 AM PDT

Reading the article gave me pause about how to convey all that could stop this from being installed. I can't list all that there is at play here from registry permissions to spybot, antimalwarw software to machines damaged with a registry cleaner. Sadly I think people will have to read and understand why it fails, think of what to do next or just skip this one.
Bob

Collapse -
Can't install KB973768
by oldmacdonaldtoo / September 10, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,

I am running XP Media Center 2004 and it is installed on a new HD. Another problem is the annoying Yellow warning shield that keeps comings onto my program tray reminding me for this update. Not sure I want to turn it off like I did for IE8 because it was flaky with XP.

Dave

Collapse -
To skip it for now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2009 6:18 AM PDT

Go to windows update and ask it not to bother you about it for now.

Or turn it off till you or someone gets a fresh idea. http://www.theeldergeek.com/disable_automatic_update.htm

I might try downloading the kb's standalone installer to boot to SAFE MODE and try updating it there.
Bob

Collapse -
KB973768 Info
by Michael-CCITS / September 11, 2009 1:33 AM PDT

looking at the install log for KB973768 and the details from Microsoft on this update, it appears that it is only for Media Center 2005. You likely have Media Center 2002. Right click My Computer, choose properties. It should tell you what you have on the General tab.

To force the update to install anyways, you could try the following. WARNING: Since the update is for MCE 2005, I dont know if it will break the Media Center Edition 2002. But this update CAN be uninstalled from add/remove programs if it does break MCE 2002
1) Go to Start, Run, type in RegEdit. Click Ok.
2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Media Center
3) Note the current value for Ident.
4) Change the value for Ident REG_SZ to 3.0
5) Run the update again (or download it from www.microsoft.com/downloads by searching for KB973768)
6) once the update is complete, change the Ident registry value back.

-Michael
www.CollinCountyITServices.com

Collapse -
KB973768 Info (2)
by Michael-CCITS / September 11, 2009 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: KB973768 Info

It appears that update KB973768 does in fact break MCE 2002, so probably not worth trying to force it to install. For anyone who already did, simply uninstall it from Add/Remove programs (check the box to show updates and look for KB973768 near the bottom and uninstall it)

Probably best to simply hide the update in Windows update so it will not prompt you again.

-Michael

Collapse -
It installed
by volvogirl / September 11, 2009 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: KB973768 Info (2)

It's me the op. I rebooted a couple times and told it to install again and went downstairs for lunch. When I came back it had installed sucessfully. I do use XP MCE2002 sp2 and so far nothing is amiss. Should I leave it or remove it?

Collapse -
KB973768
by iggydoll234 / September 27, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your help. I followed your directions down to a tee, and it worked perfectly. I changed the settings back to 2.8 (in the registry edit), after the download completed.

For so long, this error message kept popping up and I had no idea how to fix it. Recently, I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and had some problems downloading a few updates, and was finally able to install them through an intricate internet search, so, I figured I could go back to this problem on my old laptop and fix it, and your instructions did it!!

Thank you!!

Collapse -
Thanks
by brownox / March 16, 2012 5:02 PM PDT

Thanks Michael-CCITS this regedit trick fixed the situation, it was driving me crazy.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!
by katelinebaugh / July 10, 2014 5:46 AM PDT

Michael,

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge regarding installation of this update!!! I recently had to do a system recovery from discs and re-install all windows updates post-2006 and could not get this update to install. I realize it's the year 2014, XP support has been over since April and I need to upgrade my OS, but....I'm between jobs....and....well, things are a bit topsy-turvey at the moment with regard to finances Silly I do have MCE 2005 and the above fix worked great! Thank you, again!!! Happy

Collapse -
RE: Can't install KB973768
by pimgsimp / September 26, 2009 12:23 AM PDT

Hey everyone,
This issue came up on my home computer as well and I think the underlying issue is that the update is not meant for Windows XP. The manual download page for this update describes the compatibility, etc, and it only lists versions of Windows Vista. You should be able to "Hide" this update in the online update interface but I am unable to do that - I believe because it is a listed as a "Critical Security" update. I am submitting a request to Microsoft on how to remove this from the update list and will post back my findings. The MS page for KB973768 is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=59fefa17-0ad4-4a62-82be-e6a2b7a0aec3&displaylang=en

Hope this ends up helping!
- Jaymes

Collapse -
RE: Can't install KB973768_2
by pimgsimp / September 26, 2009 1:25 AM PDT

I contacted MS about this update and they advised me, personally the update was not for my system so I just hid it. You can do this from the Automatic Update window: click "Custom" > by now that update should be the only one in there, uncheck it and click "Close" > it will give you another message window with a check box to hide that update > Check it, and you're good.
However, while talking to the MS rep, he confirmed this update is compatible with XP Media Center Edition. So if you do have that OS and are still having issues contact MS through their Security support (All security related issues/problems are covered for free either by Email or chat session). The direct link to that MS page is:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/resources/support.aspx
Then select the second link down for "Email for individual chat support" They will get you straightened out right then and there.

Hope this helps.
Jaymes

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.