Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Can't hear sound on my computer

by RAJKUMAR2007 / July 14, 2006 4:17 PM PDT

Hi ... I don't know what happened but my son was using the computer one day and then the next I was unable to hear any sound on the internet. But I can still hear it just fine using Windows Media Player files just not Adobe Flashplayer. I tried uninstalling the flashplayer but it wouldn't uninstall and when I installed a new one nothing changed. Please .. I need a resolution to this problem. I currently have a Dell running Windows XP. I have both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer and I have a comcast cable connection. I am not sure what exactly to do anymore and really need help. My email is yigberase@optonline.net but send them all to my son's blackknight91@comcast.net (since he checks it more often than me).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't hear sound on my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't hear sound on my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't hear sound
by eddie11013 / July 15, 2006 4:03 AM PDT

First off, just a reminder "not" to post your email address on this forum. You don't know who is out there looking to send you stuff. In addition, the forum is designed so that all responses are listed here so that others may gain some insight if they should encounter a similar problem. That said, have you tried going here: Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab - Settings - Multimedia and made sure that the box for "Play sounds in web pages" is checked?
A beginning,
Eddie

Collapse -
Didn't Work
by RAJKUMAR2007 / July 15, 2006 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't hear sound

Ok .. I tried that now I can hear sound from Windows Media Videos but all that use I think the Adobe Jave Machine still don't work.

Collapse -
Addition
by RAJKUMAR2007 / July 15, 2006 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't Work

Oh .. I tried using YouTube and it is Javascript that the sound doesn't work on, but everything else works perfectly .. so do you know how to fix that.

Collapse -
If you're saying YouTube needs Java
by eddie11013 / July 15, 2006 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Addition

and you don't have it installed, you can download it Here
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
No I'm saying
by RAJKUMAR2007 / July 15, 2006 2:20 PM PDT

that the YouTube uses Java which is where my problem is with the internet sound (so do you know how to fix it)

Collapse -
Have you checked
by eddie11013 / July 15, 2006 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: No I'm saying

all of these settings: open Control Panel, click Internet Options / Advanced tab - Scroll down to Java (Sun) section - ensure there is a CHECK mark next to: ''Use Java,....''. Click Apply - Scroll to ''Multimedia'' section - place a CHECK mark in the ''Play Sounds In Web Pages'', ''Play videos in Web Pages'', & ''Show pictures'' box - UNCHECK box ''Show download Placeholders:'', click Apply, Ok

Collapse -
I guess I don't know how to fix it
by eddie11013 / July 15, 2006 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you checked

because I just went to YouTube and played a video and switched the settings I mentioned on and off and the video played regardless. And since you say that other video's from windows work, and you have sound, I don't have a solution for you.
Maybe someone else can help you.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
One final suggestion
by eddie11013 / July 16, 2006 3:48 AM PDT

I went back to your original post, where you mentioned the Adobe Flash Player. Have a look Here about how to properly uninstall, hint its not through the Control Panel, surprise to me! And then maybe try and reinstall Adobe Flash Player, you can select ?not? to install the Yahoo toolbar.
Hope this helps, if not I suggest that you create a ?new? discussion where you list your problem and everything that you have tried thus far.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Thank-you
by RAJKUMAR2007 / July 16, 2006 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: One final suggestion

I will definetely try that

Collapse -
volume on my dell computer
by Letitia Odell / July 8, 2010 4:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't hear sound

I have a dell pentium4 it says optiplex gx270 on the power button i use dial up for my internet connection I've tried to go to tools internet options multimedia play sound it still will not play

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.