Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can't get wireless printer to work-help me b4 I lose it!

by Spark1e / May 18, 2007 5:09 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba laptop w/windows XP home, remotely connected to my Mom's cable using a linksys router WRT54G w/her HP Pavillion desktop with windows millenium and her HP printer. It was working last year. Since then I have also added cable at my home using a linksys router WRT54G connected to my desktop which is an e-machine w/windows media center and an HP printer. I recently had Best Buy come in because I had screwed up my connection at home. He told me he hadn't changed anything at my Mom's and that all I would have to do is to specify her printer when I print at her home. Not true. I am trying to send a copy of a works spreadsheet. I pull up spreadsheet, go to file menu, then click print, when print screen appears I change to Mom's printer, then OK. Get "microsoft works" window that says "Cannot print the document. Close other applications and check that you have specified the correct printer port, then try again." Still doesn't work. I'm soooo frustrated, I hope someone can help. Thanks so much in advance for any assistance I am given.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get wireless printer to work-help me b4 I lose it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get wireless printer to work-help me b4 I lose it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by ChuckT / May 18, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

First, from what I read, you do not have a wireless printer, you connect to your mother's wireless network. She has a printer on her computer that is shared. Now you want to print (through her) to her printer.

If that is correct, then, it sounds like the printer you have in your Printer selection is, or was, your mother's shared printer when you initially had your network only as hers. Since then you have gotten (and screwed up - so you said) your own network. I think your current printer selection, to your mother's printer, is invalid.

I would just delete that current printer selection, then get a new printer once you are on your mother's network again.

By the way, just so this does not go without saying, that setup requires your mother's computer up and running in order for you to used her shared printer. That also means that you both have to be on the same workgroup. A way to avoid those requirements is to get a print server box. That print server will put the printer on the network, so that any computer can access the printer without requiring any other computer to be on at the same time.

(Some of the newer printers are now coming out with network connections built in. Some of those network connections are even wireless. And those are not real expensive computers either. Something you might want to get.)

Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by Spark1e / May 18, 2007 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

Chuck, You're right it is not a wireless printer, I'm trying to print from my wireless laptop to her printer. I did remember that her computer has to be on for me to print, but I can't understand why if I change the default printer to her's it won't print. I guess there's no quick fix and I don't want to mess with it too much, it just frustrates me. When BB came in to fix my last mess up I specifically asked about my Mom's connection and didn't want anything to change there. Anyway, thanks for the info about the print server box, that sounds like a real good idea and anything that eleviates the frustation is certainly worth it. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.