Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't get Win98SE to boot. 2 files missing msvcp60.dll & msvcrt.dll

by jldipert / May 25, 2004 12:25 PM PDT

Once again I'm stumped trying to help someone getting WIN98SE up and running and I'm stumped. When you try and start the machine the first error is that MSVCP60.DLL is missing or can't be found. If you click okay it goes to problem #2 MSVCRT.DLL is missing or can't be found. click okay brings up the last error message explorer can't be started must reboot and then the vicious circle starts. The computer hangs up and nothing happens so you have to reboot and the same thing happens again & again. Anyone got a suggestion for dumb old me??? How do I reinstall those 2 files.

He's never backed up hid machine - "why backup it's just a waste of time" maybe now he'll see a reason to backup the data now, even if it's only My Documents. In most cases that's where the most important files live or at lesat should live. Sure could ue some help. He's trying to upgrade to XP Home but until we can get it to boot to Win98 we can upgrade. In a nutshell, I need to find out how to replace those 2 pograms so the system will give us a clean boot into WIN98SE then the upgrade should XP should be a piece of cake - yeah right!!!!!! I thought the upgrade would be simple, I've done several dozen of them without trouble just be following the /checkupdateonly before hand and do what it says regarding updating drivers for this program and completely uninstall the the other. you do that and the upgrade goes through without problems. I think this problem was do to shared files and do you want to delete all - there could be other programs using those files cause that's what he did, he erased all the files and then all the problems started up and it hasn't booted since and of course he had tried it again before calling me and then I could have told him about last known good configuration and we probably wouldn't any problems. Thanks in advance, Jimd

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get Win98SE to boot. 2 files missing msvcp60.dll & msvcrt.dll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get Win98SE to boot. 2 files missing msvcp60.dll & msvcrt.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't get Win98SE to boot. 2 files missing msvcp60.dll & msvcrt.dll

These apparently are files needed to boot windows, and they should be in the windows\system folder. Try to copy copy them to that location from another Windows 98 system (booting into MS-DOS, using diskette for file transfer and copy commands).

Or extract them from the Windows 98 CD (I hope your friend still does have it). See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605 and note you can download a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com if your friend doesn't have it any more.

Other possibilities to escape from this mess (it's rather stupid to manually delete critically Windows 98 files, isn't it) are:
1. From the bootdisk, reinstall Windows 98 over the of the existing installation.
2. Use a full XP Cd, not an upgrade version. Then you certainlywon't need 98 up and running to install.
3. Try if the upgrade CD will work without these two dll's.

It's far from sure that these two files missing are the only ones. Using one of the three alternatives might really be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't get Win98SE to boot. 2 files missing msvcp60.dll & msvcrt.dll

kees he can wipe out the hard drive, then insert the upgrade xp it will ask for a 98, me, 2000 cd insert that then go ahead and install full install from upgrade cd i do that for customers in shop all time with there upgrade cd after they save what they need

Collapse -
Just asking. Are you setting up these people for a future failure?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2004 11:46 PM PDT

No offense intended, but too often I read (and hear) the screams of agony as an owner finds out they don't have the 98CD required to install another OS.

Its a tough road to travel, but if you are doing this, you may be a source of a problem that I see all too often.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Just asking. Are you setting up these people for a future failure?

Bob,

I don't quite understand your message but I would never start an upgrade without first asking if they had one of the previous OS's that are acceptable to upgrade from and then I run the CheckUpgradeOnly to see which software we can upgrade the drivers and there are many time that I find out what software just might not run under XP (in this instance) and if MS says it might run I ask them if they can live without the software if it will not run under XP because the company who made the software has made the business decision to not make an a new driver for the new OS (again in this case XP even though XP is the best yet with either finding drivers or with the drivers they supply). Then I run Belarc to have all info about the current system on hand. This is all before even starting the upgrade. Is this what you would consider the proper procedure or am I setting them up for a future failure? I sure don't want to cause problems instead of fixing them.

Collapse -
The setup...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2004 6:19 AM PDT

Imagine the poor user that was helped out by someone that lent them a 98 CD so they could install some XP Upgrade CD. Happy user leaves but since it's not their 98 CD, they don't get that (and rightly so.)

Not soon after they have some catastrophy and have to reload the OS. The XP Upgrade asks for the prior OS CD and they don't have it.

It's a scenario that is repeating too often...

Bob

Collapse -
It's a good advice, in principle, but ...

considering 'He's never backed up his machine - "why backup it's just a waste of time"'it might be a little bit difficult to 'save what he needs' using only MS-DOS (Win 98 doesn't boot).

If he can't get Windows 98 functioning and can't update in place, I should be inclined to buy a new hard disk, install XP on it, and then copy everything releveant from the old disk, configured as slave, to the new one.

Well, it's all his own fault, of course, but that shouldn't be a reason the have him lose everything.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:It's a good advice, in principle, but ...
by jldipert / May 28, 2004 6:25 PM PDT

Just for general knowledge I had followed Bob's Advice some time ago and got myself a copy of Knoppix, started out with 3.2 then got the 3.4 upgrade and it's reporting two main problems. There are bad sectors on the hard drive and there seems to be problems with the Motherboard as well. Rather than throw good money after bad I asked him how long he had been using this computer. He said 5 years so I suggested that rather than put a lot of money into a machine that would probably have more problems as time went by I suggested that he put the money to good use and buy a new box. There are some mighty fine deals out there now. Checked to make sure he had the manufacturers discs for the programs on his old machine and he not only had then he knew where they were. Now everything is okay in Muddville again.

Collapse -
I'm trying to run a game...

I've recently downloaded a game called Diplomacy. It is only a demo. I'm using a windows 98 OS. After installing the game, i try to play it but it wont let me. It is trying to load "msvcp60.dll". An error is displayed on my screen saying, "A required .dll file, MSVCP60.DLL was not found." What should be the solution to my problem?

Collapse -
An issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2005 8:14 PM PST

You've replied in an existing discussion which is to write you are offering help for the discussion underway. But it doesn't appear to be helpful.

Try this. Make your own post or consider that the error message you write about is noted in prior discussions on google.com

Bob

Collapse -
Reinstall Windows 98
by whizkid / November 9, 2005 11:00 AM PST

That is the only thing you can do. "Sir/Madam, I have some very bad news. Your Windows installation has died."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.