How To forum

Question

Can't get sound to receiver speakers while streaming Netflix

by DAWAYNE10 / May 24, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

I am using a LG tv to stream Netflix and sound will only come through tv speakers. I have used the componenet cables to hook up (red, blue, green) and also the audio cables (red and white)to run to a Denon receiver. I know the HDMI is only a pass through and is worthless in this setup. Can anyone help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get sound to receiver speakers while streaming Netflix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get sound to receiver speakers while streaming Netflix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Which LG TV model?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 25, 2011 3:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Which LG TV model?
by DAWAYNE10 / May 25, 2011 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Which LG TV model?

The TV is an LG LE5400 the receiver is the Denon AVR-1709

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'll try with this idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 2:56 AM PDT

Samsung and other TVs have that issue too. It is usually a requirement to hook up an optical cable from the TV to the Denon for the Audio Reverse Channel (ARC.)

ARC is rare to see today and we hope more makers will get it working over HDMI.
Bob

Collapse -
i have same issue with Samsung Smart TV forget & Denon A/V
by techread25 / December 20, 2013 8:47 AM PST

Ive been hunting for a resolution. I use my Denon for Blu-ray, TV, and cable box w/stereo tower spkrs which can crank. I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime movies but must always use the tv spkrs. When watching tv through cable box or a bluray dvd, Denon works the stereo spkrs great, its just an issue w/streaming through the Samsung Netflix, Amazon. Its a pita to have to grab the remote and switch sound every time, plus itd be great to hear my spkrs in streamed movies. Id never heard of ARC before. I thank you very much for the information and will also try to connect optical cable now. One last thing, this is also a phenomena w/Panasonic TVs so not just LG and Samsung but other top tv, Panasonic. These are the top brands! My pal has same issue when we stream her Netflix over her older A/V receiver. I'll have to inform her of this and order her an optical cable. Thanks again!

Collapse -
This thread is more than 940 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 9:22 AM PST

This thread is more than 940 days old.

Please top post with the details.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I have to agree with Bob -- optical digital audio out
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 26, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

Unless the (red/white RCA cables) audio cables are OUTPUTs from the TV, it will not deliver the sound to your receiver. From looking at the manual of your TV, as Bob suggested you'll have to use the Digital Audio Out (Optical) which will be feed audio source out from your TV to your Denon receiver. The only other audio OUT from your TV that I can see is the headphones OUT which you can use also.

Hope this helps.
-Lee

Collapse -
by DAWAYNE10 / May 26, 2011 6:30 PM PDT

Thank you Bob & Lee I did not notice that RCA's on my TV were outputs only. I have order a TOS link optical cable off Amazon and will post an update when I receive. Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
by DAWAYNE10 / June 1, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

****UPDATE****

I would like to thank you guys for the help and advice you gave to me. I receieved my optical cord today and I hooked it up to the tv and the receiver changed my settings on the receiver to optical input and it WORKED! I now receive sound while watching Netflix.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Great I'm glad you got it working!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 1, 2011 7:50 AM PDT

Now how about marking one of our answers as the one that help solved your problem Happy Thanks!

-Lee

Collapse -
Good to hear (all puns intended.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 3:33 AM PDT

Glad you found it was the usual. Let's hope others find this useful as I see this question a lot.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Please further Clarification on the No sound while streaming
by suzieqtk / August 27, 2011 1:07 PM PDT

So I have the newest Samsung 3D TV and the newer Yamaha Reciever RX- v671 which supposibly has ARC (yamaha). The TV is hooked up all with HDMI cables. So why if the reciever has the ARC capabilities doesn't it convert it normally ? Is it the TV as you said up above. Now if this is the case please talk in layman's terms, I'm not that well versed in these things. So I would put an Optical cable as I used on my old reciever and plug it into where on the receiver? Sorry for sounding Technically challenged. Best Buy hooked it up and everything is great except this. Please help and thank you!!!!

Collapse -
Knowing why does not fix this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 1:00 AM PDT

Sorry but a lot of the why is a) the makers haven't got it working and b) the issue of the industry trying to protect content. Let's try to avoid the usual discussion on DRM and skip to solutions.

Read above about the optical and Lee's addition about the RCA jacks. When ARC is dead, this is how to hook up to get sound out.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry for the question.
by suzieqtk / August 28, 2011 9:31 AM PDT

Wow Bob, It was a question to help me understand what was going on. No need for a reply as such. If I 'understood' the above responses I would have not asked for clarification. Sorry, but I don't do this for a living. I will figure it out on my own. I wasn't even sure what ARC was let alone the rest of what everyone was saying. Sorry for the apparent foolish question

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 9:36 AM PDT

Let's simplify it to an acronym many have heard of. It's called DRM and it's part of the HDMI and HDCP implementation. In the case of audio, it's a rule that any audio that is passed out of a device that can produce audio will be degraded to stereo.

I hope the short version will suffice here. It's not a matter that the technology can pass 5.1 sound but a decision by the industry to not allow it.
Bob

Collapse -
More about ARC or Audio Return Channel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 9:48 AM PDT

When it works, the idea is that content such as Over The Air (OTA) can feed from the HDTV across the HDMI in reverse. Hence ARC. However since the HDTV has speakers, with a fine exception for OTA, all content is usually stereo.

Add to this the DRM, not all HDMI cables can do this and the makers are in disarray with one product working and the next does not you have the makings for an industry of folks zipping around towns installing cables and setting settings for everyone.

We can only hope these designers never re-design the kitchen toaster.

Like I said, this can be explained but it has never helped one person get ARC to work in full 5.1 glory.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks but...........
by suzieqtk / August 28, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

Thank you for the reply and explanation and no it doesn't SOLVE my issue but it sure helps me understand all this stuff and believe me for all the future things I'll run into it may help to solve things............
however, your right===it still didn't answer my question right now. <div>So everything is HDMI cables. One from the TV to the receiver then everything else through the receiver. So question is, do I run an ADDITIONAL Optical cable from the TV to the receiver? and if so where on the receiver? is there something labeled ARC? I could look but it's a major project to get to it so i don't want to until I know where I'm going to hook it. <div>
</div></div>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.