Windows Legacy OS forum

Can't get Quicken 2011 Premier to open after system restore.

by jimmycaps / January 23, 2013 2:40 AM PST

It's a long story, but here it goes in order of problems:

1.) My power supply went out on my PC. The computer crashed and I in a round about way did a system restore.

2.) When I did a system restore, Windows didn't work correctly. I had difficulty doing Windows Update, but eventually was able to install Windows Update successfully.

3.) Now Windows XP works essentially normal. Normal start up. No error messages. Can use the internet without problems.

4.) The problem I'm having most often is opening my Quicken 2011 Premier edition. When I click on the startup icon, I get a flash on the screen for about 1 second like it is opening, then the screen disappears and goes back to the regular desktop view of Windows like nothing happened. I cannot get the program to start. I did formally uninstall the program, followed by a reboot and reinstallation, but it did not work. I know the program is not out of date because I still use it on my laptop without problems.

5.) This led me to a quicken forum (
This essentially said this problem is frequently associated with a .NET framework problem. This is significant because when I was initially having problems after my restore, it was a problem with the .NET framework. I did run the Microsoft Fixit "Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically" program and there were no problems. That was Solution 2.1, but I could not figure out how to do Solution 2.2.

Do you have any ideas of how I can go about fixing this problem?

Thanks ahead of time

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get Quicken 2011 Premier to open after system restore.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get Quicken 2011 Premier to open after system restore.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you remove .NET and install that again?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 2:53 AM PST

There isn't anything to figure out about the .net cleanup utility. You run it and remove the old .net.

Collapse -
Cleanup utility didn't work
by jimmycaps / January 23, 2013 11:35 PM PST

I did use the cleanup utility, but it did not work. I received this "product cleanup failed. please see log" message. The log is REALLY long!!

Collapse -
I would save Q data, then uninstall/reinstall
by wpgwpg / January 23, 2013 11:42 PM PST

Usually a reinstall will fix this kind of thing, so I'd make a copy of the Quicken data, then uninstall and reinstall Quicken. If all else fails, you could buy Quicken 2013, although I'm sure you'd rather not have to.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Then try it in a NEW ADMIN ACCOUNT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 12:39 AM PST

Once in a while that does it.

After that, you need to read the log or have your tech support read it or just have it fixed for you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.