Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Can't get past Windows password on startup

by F>T>S / May 30, 2004 3:18 PM PDT

I have a Inspiron 1100 laptop that wont let me in all of a sudden.Ive had this machine for about a year have never had a password on operating system.I have already checked the bios no password is enabled on it but now I cant get back into my stystem.I have used this machine to network information from my desktop to it with no trouble for months today I was trying to setup to transfer a file from laptop to desktop when the wizard told me it needed to reboot when it did it cane up with this windows logon password I have tryed every password I have ever had on it to no avail any suggestions as to get around this THANKS

windows XP PRO on laptop my first xp and still lost as to how to get around in it as old systems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get past Windows password on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get past Windows password on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't get past Windows password on startup
by Papa Echo / May 30, 2004 5:11 PM PDT

Does this only happen when you try to transfer files ? Does this happen when you boot up the computer ?

Are you sure it is the Windows log-on pass word ?

Have you tried leaving the box blank ?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't get past Windows password on startup
by F>T>S / May 31, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

This happens as the computer reboots I have tryed to disconnect power reboot cant get past windows password logon and no options but to shutdown.I'm at a loss HELP

Collapse -
TRY THIS
by nworley / May 31, 2004 6:01 AM PDT

F>T>S:

You may be able to go into "Safe Mode" if you have not assigned a password to Administrator. Try holding down the f8 key while W XP is booting, and at the menu choose "Safe Mode"

If you get into safe mode you have to get to user accounts.

Start
Control Panel
Double click User Accounts, the rest is self explanatory.

Norm

Collapse -
Re:TRY THIS
by F>T>S / May 31, 2004 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: TRY THIS

Tryed that even in safe mode it still wont let me past the windows password signin anything else I can try THANKS

Collapse -
Re:Re:TRY THIS
by maxieray / May 31, 2004 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:TRY THIS

hiu
Just hit enter with no password.

Or push F8 on startup and boots in safe mode with command prompt. Then type in control "userpasswords2"
With no quotes
Maxie Ray

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:TRY THIS
by F>T>S / May 31, 2004 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:TRY THIS

I have tryed that system will not even let me into safemode without a password even in command prompt any more suggestions PLEASE HELP NEED LAPTOP TOMMORROW BACK TO WORK.

Collapse -
Re:Can't get past Windows password on startup
by Yosemite Sam / May 31, 2004 10:05 AM PDT

Try restarting the Computer Into Safe Mode. (f8 when windows is starting up) This should allow you to get into Windows and change the password.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't get past Windows password on startup
by F>T>S / May 31, 2004 10:15 AM PDT

Thank Sam I have tryed to start in safemode it will not let me past windows logon to change anything it won't even let me into command prompt never seen anything like it.

Collapse -
It Seems to Me
by nworley / May 31, 2004 11:57 PM PDT

F>T>S

It seems to me that your non Activation(30 days) ran out and the machine is stuck at the log on window This event ocurrs if you install windows and ignore the nag to register. In effect the machine locks you out, both in the main screen and the Safe Mode. You can test this out yourself by installing a copy of Win XP on a separate machine and advancing the clock past 30 days and the machine will lock you out just as you indicated. Just a guess though.

Norm

Collapse -
''Understanding'' password use!
by Cursorcowboy / June 1, 2004 1:47 AM PDT

It is not always desirable to use one set of credentials which roam ? part of the user's profile and encrypted (%Userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates) ? for access to different resources ensuring that if one password is compromised it does not compromise all security. Group Policy allows you to limit use of the Stored User Names and Passwords. In the Group Policy MMC snap-in:

a. Double-click the Security Options folder (Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options).

b. Right-click Network access: Do not allow storage of credentials or .NET Passports for network authentication, click Enabled, and then click OK, [Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation].

Note: The certificates are stored in a location known as a certificate store -- the machine store used by the computer and the user store or My store used by the currently logged on user.

c. "Behavior of Stored User Names and Passwords (Q281660)."

d. "HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP (Q306541)."

e. "HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer in a Domain in Windows XP (Q306992)."

Collapse -
Re: ''Understanding'' password use!
by F>T>S / June 14, 2004 3:54 PM PDT

After a weeks worth of reading and going over the many links you sent me cursorcowboy and the college crash course on making a computer work I'm back to square one wouldn"t it have been much easier to just tell me to take it to a professional or trash it and get a new one? THANKS

Collapse -
You may have no choice but to reinstall XP
by David Chan / June 14, 2004 8:45 PM PDT

Since there is no way to gain access to the locked out laptop the only solution is to reinstall XP.

If you need to copy over your files you can pull the hard drive from the Laptop and attach it to the Desktop using a 2.5" ~ 3.5" Ide Converter.

See this link for the converter:
http://www.sewelld.com/25to35ideconverter.asp

Then copy over all the files from the Laptop to the Desktop.

Now attach the HDD back to the Laptop and reinstall XP.

Collapse -
Or use KNOPPIX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2004 9:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
''Willing to learn''
by Cursorcowboy / June 14, 2004 10:30 PM PDT
After a weeks worth of reading and going over the many links you sent me cursorcowboy and the college crash course on making a computer work I'm back to square one wouldn"t it have been much easier to just tell me to take it to a professional or trash it and get a new one?

Welcome and thank you. Since your question was on the forum it would appear you were willing to learn system password idiosyncrasies rather than running off to a repair site which cost money. I'm sorry you didn't find anything useful in my post but please understand that I do not normally furnish a simple point-&-click fix -- several others appear to have already done that -- since my way is to suggest a member use anything I furnish as references in such a manner to learn from and to re-use later -- perhaps even pass their learning on to somebody else.

Bill Gaston
Collapse -
Re: Can't get past Windows password on startup
by natalia / June 14, 2004 8:18 PM PDT

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.

Remove password and see if this action solves the issue. Try reinstalling present or new password again later. I have operated Windows XP Home for 15 months, and never installed a password on Startup. I decided to do so many months later for privacy reasons. Have'nt had any problems. Fran

Collapse -
Re: Can't get past Windows password on startup
by christy / June 14, 2004 9:29 PM PDT

You did not have any password before--well, did someone play a trick on you by inserting a password ? It happened to me once--I found the details on a text file while copying personal files before formating and reinstaling...never found out who.

christy

Collapse -
Reset password ...
by Cetin Denislam / June 15, 2004 12:31 AM PDT

Read the workarounds as presented in the following message. Try in this order:

- second method and if it doesn't do - or - it's too complicated because of command style interface,

- first method. In this case, make sure that you have a working firewall. The first thing after reinstall is to go to windows updates.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Reset password ...
by F>T>S / June 16, 2004 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Reset password ...

In my old windows 98 I had a floopy that I sliped in and recovered passwords when my daughter and wife were forgetful and forgot them is this not availiable in XP PRO.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 16, 2004 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Reset password ...
y'all....

Me again: Create and Use a Password Reset Disk, [Q305478].

Bill Gaston

Pardon ma ACKsent, ah'm frum Austin, Tex_As, USA

....its been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies.
Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / June 17, 2004 12:58 AM PDT

There is a method to use a password reset disk. Read the following MSKB article:
Q305478 - "How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP"
It's a preventive measure however, so you should prepare one ahead of time.

In your case, in order to exit the hole, you should use one the methods pointed in my previous message. It appears that you didn't try any.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Collapse -
reset password
by Crashhuffine / December 9, 2012 8:26 AM PST

Just put in user name Administrator and leave the password blank. go to user settings and change or delete the password of the original account and restart and your done. Works with all windows

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bump.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 11:43 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.