Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Can't get out of safe mode

by nmilam / April 20, 2007 4:29 PM PDT

I've followed the directions that I've found which states to restart, hit F8, click on Run Windows Normally and I still keep ending back in safe mode. Please advise as to how to get out. Am I missing a step???

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get out of safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get out of safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony VAIO and VISTA
by nmilam / April 21, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

(Thought I'd add some background) I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE880, 2gb ram, 160 gb hard drive, with the Vista operating system.

I ended up getting into safe mode in the first place since I had read here in a forum that this is what one needs to do to disable the pop up prompt for permission.

I've followed the directions on the support page Vista has which states to restart, hit F8, click on Run Windows Normally and I still keep ending back in safe mode!

Please advise as to how to get out. Am I missing a step???

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Try using the Vista DVD...
by John.Wilkinson / April 21, 2007 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony VAIO and VISTA

I'm not sure if Sony gives you this ability or not, but the Vista DVD has the option to repair "startup problems" that may arise, including situations such as this. Thus, my first suggestion would be to click here and see if you can utilize that new feature to resolve the problem. If not, or it doesn't work, let us know.

John

Collapse -
No disc
by nmilam / April 21, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

Sony doesn't provide this. The problem is fixed though. Sony support got me through it. Happy

Collapse -
Good to hear, and...
by John.Wilkinson / April 21, 2007 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: No disc

To recover from future problems it is advisable to burn a set of recovery CDs/DVDs, containing Windows and any preinstalled software, using the utility Sony provided in the Start menu.

John

Collapse -
back up disc
by nmilam / May 3, 2007 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to hear, and...

Yeah, I need to do this. I'll have to do the research to figure out how to get this started.

Collapse -
msconfig
by luscus / May 8, 2007 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: back up disc

Had the same problem- go to run, type in msconfig then go to the tab BOOT, uncheck under Boot options the mark on safe boot.

Ta--da all set.

Collapse -
Thank you, sir
by theshapeofsmoke / June 9, 2009 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: msconfig

I was troubleshooting an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop that had apparently gone into safe mode after Norton 360 asked for a reboot (so says my client anyway). I found your solution to be effective.

Collapse -
vista msconfig
by garyapeterson / November 12, 2010 9:38 AM PST

There is no "run" in safe mode, so I put the cursor on the "all programs" line. The msconfig.exe option popped up -- all bettter now.

Collapse -
(NT) thank you! worked for me...
by sociel / September 9, 2011 2:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
msconfig
by sweetnsmart2 / December 31, 2011 1:58 PM PST

Thank you Luscus, I was having the same problem with my Lenovo. Your reply fixed it right away. Love

Collapse -
stuck in safe mode vista help ??
by mauserman--2008 / August 19, 2008 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: No disc

help me get to normal.......... so i can load new window infromation ?

reuning pentium

thanks

Collapse -
More information please...
by John.Wilkinson / August 19, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

In this case, also define what you mean by "new window information."

John

Collapse -
Help! Vista is stuck in safe mode
by champduke21 / February 18, 2009 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Sony VAIO and VISTA

I had to put my computer in safe mode to remove a virus using Norton. I've tried all of the suggestions on this page. However, if I sign in as a different user, Normal mode is running. Any Ideas?

I have an HP Desktop running Vista 64.

Collapse -
(NT) How Do I Get Out Safe Mode
by Ospreys25-22456317775480479156516526111750 / August 1, 2009 7:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
STEP BY STEP TO GET OUT OF SAFE MODE
by Cockar / February 11, 2012 7:41 AM PST
Cry Please help me with safe mode as I have tried every thing on it now.When trying to system restore it comes with THE VOLUME SHADOW COPY not working error 0x81000202.I have even screen with administrative but no idea code to put to to active. ConfusedSadCry Thank You
Collapse -
What is your problem with Safe Mode?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 11, 2012 9:28 PM PST

And how does Normal Mode work?

It's never a good idea to post in old threads like this, this one is getting on for 5 years old now, as your post might have gone unnoticed and anyway systems and options change over the years.

But tell us more about the problems.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.