Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can't Get Into My Yahoo Mail. Help!

by Ley6451 / June 20, 2004 8:07 AM PDT

Its been 3 days now, and I am unable to get into my yahoo mail account. I would be able to get to the screen where I would enter my Login, and Password, but once I hit summit, the process bar at the bottom would just keep on processing. After a long minute, it would just bring me to an error page, at first it brought me to Internet Optimizer, and it would say like: "help/navagation error dns r dsn" and say could not find server mail.yahoo.com. I have spybot, internet organizer pro, and Ad-aware on my laptop. All the computers in my household seem to have the same problem since we are connected by a router. I use internet explorer 6.0, and windows xp. Someone suggested I download spy sweeper and scan. I did, I saw I had a Trojan called 2nd-Thoughts. I erased it along with other adwares, and it seems that my computer is even slower, and I still can't get into my Yahoo mail.

Please help. It's getting pretty frustrating.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Get Into My Yahoo Mail. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Get Into My Yahoo Mail. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't Get Into My Yahoo Mail. Help!
by dawillie / June 20, 2004 8:15 AM PDT

Yahoo has as a result of offering the free 100MB mail box, an unprecedented amount of traffic.
in addition there is talk of a DOS against Yahoo last week.
all these may have contributed to your slowdown.
in addition there is also the possibility that you have a lot of unneccessary programs starting when you boot.
you might want to login to Yahoo mail, key in user ID and change your password.
I did this late last week as a result of the slowdown in mail.
let Yahoo generate a new pw for you, login in and change it back to what it was.
this usually helps.

YOu may also want to read this article regarding start up items.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1158517,00.asp

hope this helps.

please post back if further information is required.

finally since you are running behind a router, go to the router website and refresh your MAC address.

david williams

Collapse -
Re: Can't Get Into My Yahoo Mail. Help!
by Ley6451 / June 20, 2004 8:20 AM PDT

I was able to reset my pw to one that they assigned for me temporary, but but I try signing in with the pw, the same thing happens. I would just be brought to a blank error screen. It seems to be only my house. My relative live a block away and can sign on perfectly. any other suggestions?

Collapse -
by Josh K / June 20, 2004 8:17 AM PDT

It's been that way for me too. Three days now, and it doesn't matter what browser I use. I wish Yahoo would let its users know what's going on!

Collapse -
by Ley6451 / June 20, 2004 8:22 AM PDT

Gosh its good to know I'm not the only one. I think its only affecting certain computers because my cousin lives a block away and has a yahoo account, and she can login perfectly, even with my login and pw. any ideas on what it could be?

Collapse -
by Larry38 / June 20, 2004 9:55 AM PDT

Iam useing WXP Home SP1 IE6 & OE6.I have Yahoo as homepage and as e-mail,have not had any problems at all, but I created one this morning. Since I am going to a different browser I tried to make Yahoo my default mail, went to Google and found out how to do this, followed the instructions and it made Yahoo my default,signed in and kept giving me page can not be displayed, tried my wifes Yahoo account and it pulled right up.I deleated it as a default, rebooted and it is working fine again. Haven't heard from their support as yet but maybe they will get all the bugs worked out as I like the Mail Plus and the 2GB box, as well as the format.
Larry

Collapse -
by Ley6451 / June 20, 2004 10:37 AM PDT

the strange thing is i can make a new e-mail account and yet i am unable to login period. i've always used yahoo, for about 8 years, never had a problem until now. my cousin apparently can sign onto my account at her house while at my house, my siblings and i can't access our account. strange... i think i've tried everything, hotmail seems to work fine. yahoo is definitly getting on my nerves. any solutions? i've tried the "click on secure" button as others sugguested, still nothing.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 20, 2004 10:43 AM PDT

Maybe you try this:

You can also use the Yahoo! ID Search form to find your Yahoo! ID. To access this form:

Click the "Get help signing-in here" link on the login page.
Click the "Yahoo! ID Search" link near the bottom of the the next page.
Enter the alternate email address, birthday and Zip Code (or country) you provided during registration.
Click the "Send Request" button.
Your Yahoo! ID will be sent automatically to your alternate email address. (If you did not provide an alternate email address during registration, then unfortunately you will not be able to use this form.)

http://help.yahoo.com/help/au/mail/access/access-05.html

Collapse -
Manually log out
by crowsfoot / June 20, 2004 4:53 PM PDT

Me too, about a week ago. I had to manually log out and back in from the yahoo home page. It brought up a page bragging about the new features, lay-out and mailbox size. Got a new cookie in the process. Are you allowing yahoo cookies?

You may not be the prob. It might be them. Try logging out and in for a couple more days.

Collapse -
Re: Manually log out
by Josh K / June 20, 2004 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Manually log out

I tried that and wasn't able to (same problem - link just would not load). I tried going into Account Info, my Address Book, Calendar, same thing, no dice. I also tried logging on with our 2nd computer and had no luck there either.

If anyone who CAN get in can get any information from Yahoo, please post it!

Collapse -
by Cobban / June 21, 2004 1:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Josh K / June 21, 2004 1:48 AM PDT

One of the posts in that forum suggested trying Yahoo Mobile, which I did and it worked. It's no-frills but at least you can read your mail. I had two messages from Yahoo confirming that it's a problem at their end -- too much traffic overloading their servers.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.