Computer Help

Question

Can't get google search page to load

by goreycat / April 25, 2012 4:45 PM PDT

This has been going on for a few days and it's getting really weird. I suspect some sort of virus/malware/etc, but I'm not having any luck.

A few days ago I went to search for something in the google search bar, and got a page saying that the connection to the server had been reset while the page was loading. This is in Firefox 12. Reloading didn't help, so I tried to type in google.com in the actual address bar - and got the same message. I don't have any problems with any other search sites, or any general sites. The even weirder thing is that I don't have a problem with any other google pages. I can still use my gmail, my reader - if I use the bar across the top of a google page, I can get everything else to load - even the image search and google maps, just not the actual google search page. The other computers in the house on the same network can access the page fine. It won't load in Firefox, Chrome, or IE.

Most of the searching I have done suggests it's some virus/malware/etc, but after running avast, adware, malwarebytes, and two things for specific programs, while they came up with a few things, the problem isn't fixed.

It gets weirder, because every time I restart my computer and start firefox, I type in a search and the google search page pops up! I think it's fixed, go about my business, and ten minutes later do another search - only this time it won't load, and it will not load again until I've restarted my computer - only to go through the same thing again. Also, just as I started typing this, I gave it another try, and it worked! For three searches. Then Firefox crashed, and I'm back to it not loading.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I'm running Windows 7, don't know what else you need to know.

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get google search page to load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get google search page to load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Google search page
by KenHusveg / April 25, 2012 4:52 PM PDT

Have you tried another browser? It's most likely a cookies and cache problem with Firefox. Empty Firefox cache and although it's a pain remove cookies as well.

Collapse -
by goreycat / April 26, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Google search page

Like I said above, it doesn't work in Firefox, IE, or Chrome. I've emptied the cache and removed cookies, even though yeah, that's always a pain, and it didn't help any.

Collapse -
can"t get Google search page
by GClef / May 16, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Google search page

I have a similar problem. Have tried several browsers and each time I get an error message stating that I am not connected to the internet. I have to keep clicking on "favorites" web sites again and again before I finally break through. This can take a couple of minutes.

Collapse -
Having the exact same problem
by wellhelloitsdan / July 22, 2012 11:54 AM PDT

I'm having the exact same problem with my PC. Neither Firefox nor IE will load google, except immediately after booting. I've swept my system as thoroughly as I know how to, and haven't been able to locate a virus. I've also double-checked to make sure that google isn't blocked as a restricted page in my browser settings.

Were you guys able to figure this one out, and if so could you share your solution?

Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Update
by wellhelloitsdan / July 22, 2012 12:26 PM PDT

Thought I'd pass this along - I'm pretty sure this virus is the problem, although in this case they're talking about in in the context of affecting mac users. I'm trying to figure out the solution for a PC user now...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.