Computer Help forum

Question

Can't get filmstrip view in all my folders.

by bruvensky / December 22, 2012 3:19 AM PST

None of my folders in the first level after "My Documents" has the filmstrip view, except "My Pictures". If I go to the next level of subfolders, some of them have filmstrip view, but some don't. If a folder does not have filmstrip view and I move it one level down, then it will have filmstrip view. How do I get all my folders to have the filmstrip view?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get filmstrip view in all my folders.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get filmstrip view in all my folders.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
More info needed
by wpgwpg / December 22, 2012 3:27 AM PST

You neglected to mention what version of Windows you're using. Details for solution require that info.

Collapse -
(NT) I use XP
by bruvensky / December 22, 2012 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: More info needed

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you select Use Windows classic folders in the Folder
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 6:20 AM PST

"If you select Use Windows classic folders in the Folder Options dialog box, Filmstrip is no longer available on the View menu in folders that contain pictures."

More at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299542

Collapse -
I have filmstrip view sometimes
by bruvensky / December 22, 2012 7:56 AM PST

Some folders have filmstrip view and some don't. So I think that it should work in all of them.

Collapse -
And it won't if that item is not checked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 10:33 AM PST

I supplied a link so you can get the full document on it.

Collapse -
I read it and
by bruvensky / December 22, 2012 2:15 PM PST

I did not have classic folders selected in the Folder Options dialog box. So I am back where I started. Why do some of my folders have filmstrip view? And why don't the others?

Collapse -
It also wrote this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: I read it and

"the Filmstrip feature requires that Show common tasks in folders be selected to view the full functionality."

That's why I supplied the link. I double checked here and sure enough, the article is correct but I fear many PC users will not like the answer Microsoft gave.
Bob

Collapse -
filmstrip view
by pde0129 / July 16, 2013 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: I read it and

i have been trying to figure this out for months. i got it this morning. go up to view and then to customize this folder, in the top drop down box it probably says, "document, for any file type". change that to, "pictures, best for many files", then check the box to include subfolders. now all of them will show filmstrip view. i had to go change it a couple of times before it stayed. hope it works for you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.