Computer Help

Question

Can't get computer/monitor speakers to work

by toneman1 / July 28, 2012 7:56 AM PDT

I have these external speakers that I have been using for a couple of years that I started using from the beginning with my current computer since I first tuned it on; I have never used my computer without them. Just now, one of the speakers stopped working. So I figured that I would use the speakers on my computer and/or monitor until I could get out to buy a new set of speakers. But when I unplugged the speakers from the back of my computer, a red circle with a line through it appeared on the speaker symbol on my screen, like what happens when I press mute. When I click on it, it says that my speakers are not connected. I know that, I want to get the sound to come out of the speakers on my computer or monitor; how do I do that? I've tried right clicking on the symbol, that doesn't tell me anything. My computer is a Dell Optiplex 745 and I am running Windows 7.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get computer/monitor speakers to work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get computer/monitor speakers to work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If your monitor has speakers you just use the same
by Steven Haninger / July 28, 2012 9:10 AM PDT

output from your computer's audio output (usually green) jack. You plug a cable from there up to the input jack on your monitor.

Collapse -
TY
by toneman1 / July 29, 2012 6:33 AM PDT

Thank you for this information. I really think that I should be able to have my computer's sound come out of the speakers of my monitor by just the main cord connecting my monitor to my computer without attaching a separate cable.

Collapse -
The only cable that does that is ... HDMI ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2012 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: TY

Those VGA cables do not carry audio. Never did.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.