TVs & Home Theaters forum

Can't get audio through direct connection to TV

by Blazin65 / February 2, 2013 5:27 AM PST

I have a Panasonic DVD Home Theater System, model # SC-PT750, Directv reciever, and an LG55LS4500. I use HDMI from Directv to TV, obviously. And the standard red and white audio cable from sound system to Directv.

Here's my situation: For sound, I am not able to hook the TV directly to the sound system, a connection between the TV and the sound system doesn't work. However, I am able to get sound if I hook the sound system into the Directv reciever. So this is a good work around. But here's where this stinks, if I use my set top box to play movies from Netflix, I can't get the sound because the Directv reciever is no longer in the mix.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Why can't the sound system go directly to the TV? And by the way, I have tried several TVs, none of them will work? Am I wiring something wrong? Is the sound system not capable of interacting with a new TV?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get audio through direct connection to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get audio through direct connection to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I understand completely
by Pepe7 / February 3, 2013 12:18 AM PST

The main problem you have is you really need different equipment to do what you want to do. Ideally, this would mean a traditional AV receiver, or at least a more full fledged HTIB with proper digital inputs/outputs.

That said, there *may* be a workaround, depending on which audio outputs your HDTV has. Since the Panasonic only has a single R/L analog audio input, this means you need to employ some sort of A/B switch when you would like to toggle between analog audio from your Directv box, and Netflix audio from the HDTV back to your Panasonic DVD HT unit. The main wrench in this idea is that the LG LED HDTV only has digital optical output and no analog audio output. So a digital/analog converter w/ built in A/B switch (etc.) is what you are looking for. Radio Shack or perhaps Monoprice/Amazon might sell such a device, but you normally have to test them at home with your actual equipment to verify it will work properly. Your connections would be as follows:

Directv (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) LG HDTV

Directv (analog audio out) --> (analog audio in) [A/B audio switch w/ digital-analog converter option]

[A/B audio switch] (analog audio out) --> (analog audio in) Panasonic HT

Panasonic HT (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) LG HDTV

LG HDTV (digital optical out) --> (digital optical in) [A/B audio switch w/ digital/analog converter option]

*Keep in mind sometimes what Netflix sends out via the digital optical port is throttled. IOW, instead of DD5.1 surround, you only get 2.0 stereo. If there's a 'matrix surround' option (e.g. Dolby Pro Logic, etc.) on your Panasonic, that would be the setting to use to achieve a larger sound field/utilize all speakers.

Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Thank you Pepe, Need Follow Up
by Blazin65 / February 3, 2013 6:21 AM PST

Thank your for this info. I was expecting that I would need something and I'll be going by Radio Shack this week.

I need to verify something though. Why does the HT need to be hooked to the TV by HDMI. See, the TV only has 2 HDMI inputs. One is for Direct TV, the other is for the set top box (WD Live). I never use the HT system to watch DVDs, the audio is all I care about. So can I exclude the HT going to the TV via HDMI?

Collapse -
Yes, that would be optional if you don't watch DVDs
by Pepe7 / February 3, 2013 2:21 PM PST

But why not add a generic $5 6' long HDMI cable for the one time you might need to pop in a DVD(?)

Collapse -
OK Thanks!
by Blazin65 / February 3, 2013 10:48 PM PST

Because the TV only has 2 HDMI Inputs, that would be why. I guess I could leave it dangling and unplug the WDLive if I ever watch a DVD.

I will get by Radio Shack in the next day or two. I will let you know how it works out.

Collapse -
Sure- but you confused the matter w/ duplicate threads
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: OK Thanks!

If you look above, there's nothing in this thread about WDTV Live Wink

Collapse -
Another question
by Blazin65 / February 3, 2013 11:00 PM PST

I've got to ask another question. If the new TV does not support analog why does it have the red and white on the back?

I just looked at the Radio Shack website and unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, those A/B switches are very expensive. $39.99? I thought it would be more like $10.

Collapse -
Look carefully- it has analog audio INPUT not OUTPUT
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: Another question

That's the rub.

Collapse -
by Blazin65 / February 4, 2013 3:43 AM PST

Collapse -
Got it fixed
by Blazin65 / February 24, 2013 11:23 AM PST

I told you guys I would report back and I'm happy to report this fixed the problem. Order both the switch and the cable from Best Buy.

Very happy with the fix. Sound is excellent.

Thanks Pepe.

Collapse -
Nice ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / February 25, 2013 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Got it fixed

Collapse -
Still doing well but I have a quicky qeustion
by Blazin65 / May 1, 2013 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice ;) (n/t)

I finally hear that loud noise that the converter switch or the Home Theatre System speakers make when I turn off the TV. Of course the noise goes away when I turn off the HTS.

My question is: Is this equal to wear and tear on the converter switch? Is the converter switch something that only lasts a set amount of time? Or is the noise just normal?

Collapse -
What kind of noise?
by Pepe7 / May 1, 2013 6:47 AM PDT

Please describe.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.