Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

can't get a program to open?

by monak007 / May 13, 2013 11:09 PM PDT

Hi,

I have downloaded a program related to forex trading like an EA alert system, but it won't open. I know several people with the same program who don't have this issue. I have been able to open it in safe mode but not in normal mode. I am using windows 7 I downloaded using Google Chrome.

I can click on the Icon in programs which goes to the task bar, but when I double click it it will not open up, when I hover the mouse over the icon it shows a vacant white box.

I have tried uninstalling and re installing numerous times but to no avail. Does anyone know what the issue is here?

Kind Regards

Neita

monak007 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't get a program to open?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't get a program to open?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by monak007

Collapse -
I'd uninstall & reinstall the program
by wpgwpg / May 14, 2013 11:45 AM PDT

It sounds like whatever program that's supposed to open this file has gotten corrupted. So I'd uninstall and reinstall it. If I'm right, that would fix it.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Have uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count
by monak007 / May 14, 2013 5:40 PM PDT

Have done that after trying everything that has been suggested on 3 different forums but still nothing. Would you consider it to be a problem with my computer or with the software, which I really can't see how it would be the later as no one else has this issue.

thanks

Neita

Collapse -
Re: troubles
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 6:09 PM PDT

As had been said above already, it's time to contact the author of the program. If anyone can help, it's him. It's quite unlikely that anyone here can find the cause and remedy.

Kees

Collapse -
I have Won - Thank You All
by monak007 / May 14, 2013 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: troubles
Love Firstly I would like to thank everyone who took the time to try and solve my problem. I would also like to say I did try every suggestion I was given, not only on this forum but 2 others as well.

I discovered by accident and can't really remember how I got the pop up box but it mentioned resolutions. When I went to screen resolutions I discovered of my 3 monitors 1 was 6 resolutions lower than the other 2. when I made them all the same suddenly the program opened up.

I can't tell you how excited I am to have solved the mystery, but it has also been of great benefit to me as I have learn't so much more about how to navigate my computer, because of your input.

Many thanks

Neita
Collapse -
Great job. Thanks for telling.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 11:13 PM PDT

Based on what you told, nobody could have guessed the cause, unless he happened to be one of the hundred users of the program who had experienced the same.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Usually it's that app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 12:20 AM PDT

When this happens and it's just one app then you find the support or the app's author to tell them it doesn't work for you.

They or the company are interested in such because where there is money at stake they want it to work.

Most likely it's an issue they know about. Be sure to ask them.
Bob

Collapse -
dozens of people don't have this problem
by monak007 / May 14, 2013 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Usually it's that app.

thanks for responding, but if everyone I have spoken to doesn't have this issue and program works for them, would it not be something on my end?

thanks

Neita

Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 12:35 AM PDT

So this app has only dozens of users? That's good news as the author may be more accessible to find out why your system is different and failing.

It appears you are talking to users and not the author or the company that provides this. I don't expect that to work.
Bob

Collapse -
Program
by pgc3 / May 14, 2013 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Usually it's that app.

Since it will open in Safe mode but not normal windows it could be a security issue, firewall, etc. It would be helpful if it were known what you are trying to open this item with, perhaps MS word, as an example. Another issue could be Adobe Reader, assuming you have this in the system. it could also be a file association issue but it strikes me as odd that it will open in Safe mode and not normal windows. I'd be curious to know what the others are using to open the item. As Mr. Proffitt stated, you my have to contact the author or perhaps one of the users to see how they are set up for this particular software.

Collapse -
program file types
by monak007 / May 14, 2013 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Program

couple of other things I have discovered.
when I do the trouble shoot compatibility test I get the ABSDatabase1: database file 'tmdb4.abs' does not exist

It is an EXE. file when I right click on icon in program files which is 4,781KB
then there is a tmdb4.abs ABS file that is 117 KB
also a appsettings VCD file 1KB as well as a sound folder and uninstall application

that is it. Why would it say the ABS file doesn't exist if it is there. I have done a scan on it and says "no threat found" also did a malware scan with "No Malicious items were detected"

does this shed any light?

thanks

Neita

Collapse -
Yes a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: program file types
http://www.componentace.com/help/absdb_manual/faq.htm tells me this uses a SQL component and you never open said databases directly. I don't think we need to go over what a SQL server is but this app seems to use such.

In short, the install looks to be corrupt. Did you copy this app over, or did you install it?

Also, such apps do not run in limited accounts. But the author/company should tell you that.
Bob
Collapse -
Dowloaded from Website
by monak007 / May 14, 2013 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes a little.

Hi,

I have downloaded the program direct from the owners website, each time I have uninstalled and downloaded direct. Have tried turning off the firewall while downloading as well.

I can't understand why everyone else does not have this issue, if there are a couple of 100 people or more using it and I am the only one with this problem, then I would assume it is something to do with my system, how could the file be corrupt just for me?

Thanks

Neita

Collapse -
It could be just that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Dowloaded from Website

Did you try a new Admin capable account?

Collapse -
Admin capable Account?
by monak007 / May 14, 2013 7:17 PM PDT
In reply to: It could be just that.

I have tried opening as Administrator if that is what you mean. if not can you explain how I do that?

Thanks

Neita

Collapse -
Re: new admin capable account
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 7:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Admin capable Account?

That's a new Windows account with administrator capabilities. You make a new Windows account in Control Panel. That's rather standard use of Windows, so I won't tell more aboutit.

Log into in after you made it and try (1) run that program again, (2) download and install that program again. It's a 5 minute job, I'd say.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.