Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CAN'T FIND VOLUME CONTROL ICON ON TASKBAR

by shinobi16 / March 30, 2006 8:12 AM PST

I have an HP zx5180us laptop, running Windows XP Home Edition. I'm trying to convert vinyl tracks to digital and in order to do so I have to play around with the volume control on the laptop. The icon should be on the taskbar but it's not. I went to CONTROL PANEL, SOUND AND AUDIO DEVICES, clicked on the tab VOLUME, then tried to put a check mark on the square next to PLACE VOLUME ICON IN THE TASKBAR. As soon as I click on the square I get the following error: ''Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.'' I went to the HP website, downloaded and installed the latest audio drivers, restarted the computer, but I still have the same problem. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CAN'T FIND VOLUME CONTROL ICON ON TASKBAR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CAN'T FIND VOLUME CONTROL ICON ON TASKBAR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CAN'T FIND VOLUME CONTROL ICON ON TASKBAR
by Tufenuf / March 30, 2006 8:16 AM PST
Collapse -
It Worked, Thanks
by shinobi16 / March 30, 2006 9:05 AM PST

It worked. Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it worked & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / March 30, 2006 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: It Worked, Thanks
Collapse -
this response was the key to fixing this problem
by daddynels / May 20, 2012 9:22 AM PDT

it wasn't simple, working in the DOS prompts, but Section 2 of this MS article fixed my problem. Biggest issue is that you must have a complete XP install disk. You wont install anything, but you have to pull a file from it.

Collapse -
Re: Can't find....
by WOODS-HICK / March 30, 2006 9:19 AM PST

I also lost mine. I think after some windows update.

My new OEM Dell had it when it first arrived 12/05. You can google and find the SndVol.exe.

What I did was:Explore>i386. Do the search, find SndVol.exe. Copy>Paste somewhere convenient. Open from there or drag to QL.

I don't have XP cd.

Collapse -
RE
by crazeebob2000 / March 30, 2006 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Can't find....
Collapse -
Another Problem
by shinobi16 / March 30, 2006 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: RE

Ok. I have the volume icon on my taskbar now but I need to find LINE IN and it's not there. When I click on the volume icon and the volume control window opens the only things I see are: VOLUME CONTROL, WAVE, SW SYNTH, CD PLAYER, MICROPHONE, and PC BEEP. Where do I find the LINE IN control?

Collapse -
Re: another problem will cost you....
by WOODS-HICK / March 30, 2006 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Another Problem

the time to go to the "options" on the panel. My SigmaTel Audio offers "line in", etc.

Hope yours does.

Collapse -
Re: Another Problem
by Tufenuf / March 30, 2006 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Another Problem

shinobi16, Click on the Volume icon, click Options click Properties and checkmark "Line In".

Tufenuf

Collapse -
NOTHING
by shinobi16 / March 31, 2006 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Another Problem

I clicked on the volume icon, then on OPTIONS, then I have a window that reads: "Adjust Volume For", PLAYBACK or RECORDING. If I put a bullet on PLAYBACK, at the bottom it reads: "Show The Following Volume Controls" and my choices are: VOLUME CONTROL, WAVE, SW SYNTH, CD PLAYER, MICROPHONE, AND PC BEEP. If I choose RECORDING my choices are: CD PLAYER, MICROPHONE, MONO OUT, and WAVE OUT MIX. No line in at all. Where is it?

Collapse -
Re: NOTHING
by Tufenuf / March 31, 2006 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: NOTHING

shinobi16, Which Sound Card do you have?. When you click on Options then Properties does it show the correct Sound Card for ''Mixer Device''? If it doesn't use the drop down arrow and choose your Sound Card.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
SAUND CARD
by shinobi16 / March 31, 2006 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: NOTHING

It shows a "SoundMax Digital Audio" It's the only one in the drop down menu.

Collapse -
There must be something ......
by WOODS-HICK / March 31, 2006 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: NOTHING

my options are only "line in" & "microphone". Plus advanced after choosing "recording". Did you click "help" to see if your device supports recording? Once you've checked every possible action, google for more info, let your fingers do the thinking.

Collapse -
This Is Frustrating
by shinobi16 / March 31, 2006 8:46 PM PST

I've checked every possible thing and no LINE IN. My desktop PC has the LINE IN option but not my laptop. The sound cards are different but that should not be an issue. The LINE IN should be there. So far nothing on GOOGLE. I'll have to keep trying. What a pain!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why not?
by WOODS-HICK / March 31, 2006 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: This Is Frustrating
Collapse -
Same problem as shinobi16
by Vyper16 / August 31, 2007 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Why not?

Hello Everyone

I tried to put a check mark on the square next to PLACE VOLUME ICON IN THE TASKBAR. As soon as I click on the square I get the following error: ''Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

I went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095 but I don't have my windows Xp installation cd,my computer came preinstalled.

Collapse -
Re: Same problem as shinobi16
by Tufenuf / August 31, 2007 8:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Vyper16 / September 1, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

When I did a search I found SNDVOL32.EXE-3928AE06.pf located at
C:\WINDOWS\prefetch

I also have a copy of sndvol32.exe which I downloaded at www.relaxingsoftware.com/sndvol32.exe

I tried what http://www.jakeludington.com/windows_xp/20060922_windows_volume_control_program_has_not_been_installed.html
said but when I enter expandc:\i386\sndvol32.ex_d:\windows\system32\dllcache\sndvol32.exe in cmd I get this message "Can't open input file c:\i386\sndvol32.ex_.

I did what you told me to do in folder options before doing any of the above

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / September 1, 2007 4:54 AM PDT

Vyper16, Put a copy of that sndvol32.exe that you downloaded into your C:\Windows\System32 folder then restart your computer. Hopefully it will correct the problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re: This Is Frustrating
by Tufenuf / March 31, 2006 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: This Is Frustrating

shinobi16, ''The sound cards are different but that should not be an issue''.

That could be why your laptop doesn't have the Line In option.

You could try updating the drivers on that Laptop and see what happens. Right click the volume icon aside of the clock, click Adjust audio properties, under the Hardware tab click the Properties button, under the Driver tab click the Update Driver button and see what happens. You can always go back and Roll back the driver if it doesn't work.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Did That Already And Nothing
by shinobi16 / April 1, 2006 3:08 AM PST

The first thing I did when I encountered the problem was to go to the HP site,downloaded and installed the latest audio drivers. So now when I follow your instructions on updating the drivers, it tells me that it could not find a better match than the ones already installed. The reason that I need that LINE IN option is to adjusted it in order to transfer some vinyl records to digital. Without it I don't know what to do next.

Collapse -
Re: This Is Frustrating
by Vyper16 / September 1, 2007 6:17 AM PDT

Hello Tufenuf
My problem has been resloved when I moved the downloaded sndvol32.exe file from www.relaxingsoftware.com/sndvol32.exe to C:\WINDOWS\System32 foleder and then I restarted my pc whent to Start--->Control Panel--->Sounds,Speech,and Audio Devices--->Sounds and Audio Devices--->check the box "Place volume icon in taskbar--->Apply--->Ok and it was there in my taskbar

PROBLEM RESLOVED

THANK YOU Tufenuf

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back.
by Tufenuf / September 1, 2007 6:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Task Bar Tool
by WOODS-HICK / April 2, 2006 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

Got it today. Worth it just to rid past tray items. Will play more with it. VolCtrl Icon not necessary for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.