Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't find server or DNS fault

by Marlies / October 18, 2005 4:52 PM PDT

XP Prof SP1 - for weeks now I'm getting this CAN'T FIND SERVER or DNS FAULT mess right in the middle of working with my pc. I have tried unplugging and replugging the cablemodem, restarting my pc, checked IE and FF specs: nothing helps. At the same time the connection with another pc on this small home network is off. It doesn't show up on the router and my son cannot access the internet. What more can I do to repair this problem? Thanks for any help you can give.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find server or DNS fault
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find server or DNS fault
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: connection problem
by Kees Bakker / October 18, 2005 7:20 PM PDT

As far as I understand the problem, it seems to be a router or an ISP problem. But it would help if you tell more about the configuration and the symptoms of the problem.

There seem to be two computers connected to a router, that is connected to a cable modem, and sometimes some problems occur in the connection between one (or both?) of the computers with the ISP and between the two computers (file and printer access) also? Or not?

Collapse -
by Marlies / October 26, 2005 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: connection problem

Bedankt, Kees, het MOET de router zijn. Ik zal hem na laten kijken.

Collapse -
I am trying to connectg to internet via desktop
by asg9488 / September 10, 2011 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: connection problem

I am having trouble connecting my laptop to the internet. It has me in offline mode which I do not want. It is also saying cannot find server...I am trying to connect through my desktop which has a router & a modem

Collapse -
This discussion is over 5 years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2011 10:54 AM PDT

It's unlikely the problem discussed 5 years ago is the same as yours.

I'd start a new discussion plus add the missing details.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / October 18, 2005 9:35 PM PDT

1. Domain Name System (DNS), a locator service in Windows, is an industry-standard protocol that locates computers on an IP-based network. IP networks, such as the Internet and Windows networks, rely on number-based addresses to process data. Users however, can more easily remember name addresses, so it is necessary to translate user-friendly names ( into addresses that the network can recognize ( Before DNS, a Hosts file was used -- a manually created file residing on a host computer that associates host names with IP addresses -- still used today in fact.

Note: For instance, Host name addresses such as are addresses you see and may use every day and are what we recognize as intellectual information. IP addresses are numbers such as that mean the same thing and which the computers uses to actually find the sites. Even though a user may use either the "Host" or "IP address" as a site address using Internet Explorer, the computer must first look up and translate the "Host name" to an "IP address" before a connection is made.

2. DNS Servers map IP addresses to computer names and computer names to IP addresses. By doing so, they provide the mechanism to locate network resources. The DNS WMI Provider allows applications to interact with DNS Servers through the unified management framework of Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). A DNS Server is a computer that completes the process of name resolution in DNS and contains zone files that enable them to resolve names to IP addresses and IP addresses to names. When queried, a DNS Server will respond in one of three ways:

? The server returns the requested name-resolution or IP-resolution data.

? The server returns a pointer to another DNS Server that can service the request.

? The server indicates that it does not have the requested data.

3. A DNS zone is a set of files or records (more precisely, a database of resource record entries) that corresponds to part of the DNS hierarchical name space. DNS zones are used to delineate which DNS Servers are responsible (authoritative) for resolving name-resolution queries for a given section of the DNS hierarchy. DNS zones differ from the domain structure in the following fashion: zones can be composed of one or more DNS domains. One zone in the domain tree might be authoritative for the gadgets and widgets domains.

4. DNS WMI Provider Overview

a. A provider is an architectural element of Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). WMI defines a unified architecture for describing, accessing, and instrumenting objects. Part of this architecture is a large database of WMI classes used to carry out remote management tasks on specific objects.

b. WMI providers act as intermediaries between WMI and one or more managed objects. When WMI receives a request from a management application for data that is not available from the CIM repository or for notifications of events that WMI does not support, it forwards the request to a provider. Providers supply data and event notifications for managed objects that are specific to their particular domain. A provider extends the WMI schema of classes to allow WMI to work with new types of objects. The DNS WMI Provider defines classes for querying and configuring a DNS Server, along with its associated DNS zones and DNS records.

c. The DNS WMI provider exposes a number of DNS objects to clients, including DNS Server, DNS domain, and DNS RR objects. Through those objects, clients are able to perform DNS management activities.

5. Supplemental:

a. "HOW TO: Configure Windows XP TCP/IP to Use DNS (Q305553)."

b. "Logging WMI Activity."

c. "Reinstalling WMI."

d. "Secrets of Windows Management Instrumentation."

6. The article [Q175722] describes the following errors you may receive when starting Internet Explorer, suggests troubleshooting procedures, and discusses the reasons for the anomaly below:

? The page cannot be displayed

? The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

? Cannot find server or DNS Error

a. Multiple copies of the Wsock32.dll file are installed on your computer.

b. An incorrect version of the Wsock32.dll file is installed on your computer.

c. If you try to view a file (file://) you do not have permissions to view.

d. Intermittent connection problems, low system resources, and dropped connections while attempting to load the Web page.

e. You are using America Online as your Internet service provider, and there is not a Dial-Up Adapter installed, but there is an AOL Adapter.

f. Unable to resolve the DNS name, or the DNS server returned an error.

g. Corrupted cookies can also cause this issue with Internet Explorer 5.

h. The Internet Explorer connection settings for the dial-up connection are configured to use a proxy server.

7. Suggestions:

a. Download and follow the instructions for "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

Note: Else, some of the core Internet Explorer "?.dll files" may not be correctly registered or need registering. First, verify the exact path of where the Iexplore.exe file is found and used as noted for the "Primary. . ." example. Second, click Start, Run, type exactly "Primary Hard Drive Letter:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg, and then either click OK or press Enter.

? Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

? Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

"Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

"How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

? Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

Caveat: Using IEFix myself, the utility does not suggest or require a reboot, but I do suggest that you do. In addition, if an extra icon for IE is located on the Desktop afterwards, you may delete it.

b. "WinSock XP Fix" (Image) offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then "download" and give WinSock XP Fix a try, a 1,412kb file. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

c. "LSP-Fix" is a free utility that may be downloaded to repair certain problems associated with Internet software when you can no longer access Web sites due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of software. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

Collapse -
by Marlies / October 26, 2005 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Thanks so much for the lecture. I know what I am going to be doing this weekend. I have yet so much to learn in so little time.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.