MacBooks forum

Question

Can't find or use built in Camera

by Technocratus / March 4, 2013 6:32 PM PST

I have a MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" Mid2010
and I have never yet been able to find or use the built in camera. Every time that I try to use Photo Booth it says "there is no connected camera." I would like to be able to use Photo Booth and to Skype. I have been doing some online reading and have tried resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) several times to no avail.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find or use built in Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find or use built in Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Two possibilities here,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 8:43 PM PST

1. The camera is defective
2. There is a problem with the software.

To check #2, create a new ADMIN account for yourself in System Preferences > Users and Groups. Make sure it is an Admin account.
Log out of the existing account and into the newly created one.
Try the camera now.
Does it work?
If yes, problem solved, if No, assume #1 is correct.
Check any remaining warranty and book a trip to the Apple Store

P

Collapse -
Answer
Built-in Webcam on MBP...
by jnsturges / March 8, 2013 9:25 PM PST

You didn't mention whether you installed and configured Skype, or if Skype actually recognized the WebCam. If listed, and video is enabled in Skype's Settings, you should be able to see yourself on the WebCam when you tinker with Skype's Video Settings.

In Applications > Utilities > USB, you should see the webcam listed, also.

If it's NOT listed, the WebCam may be defective. Fortunately, it's PORTABLE. So, take it into the nearest Apple Store, and they can help you.

Collapse -
Where, exactly, would I find this?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 11:14 PM PST

""In Applications > Utilities > USB, you should see the webcam listed, also. "

I cannot find it on my iMac

P"

Collapse -
I think he meant
by ziptie / March 9, 2013 12:36 AM PST

about this Mac > hardware > USB

I had this problem on my C2D iMac, after trying to use an aftermarket web cam, and the only fix was to reinstall the OS.

Collapse -
Note that the original poster has not been back
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: I think he meant

so we are just guessing about the problem now

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.