PC Applications forum

General discussion

Can't find HP deskjet toolbox

by ruthlessinor / November 27, 2004 9:20 AM PST

About a month ago my computer crashed and was restored. I have an HP pavilion with windows ME. My printer is an HP deskjet 932C. I have been having trouble with color printing for a while (even before the crash). Some colors are missing and this has happened with 2 different color cartridges. In order to clean the print cartridges, I need to use the HP deskjet toolbox, which should be under programs, but it is not, nor could I find it with a search. When I tried to use the original installation disc for the printer, nothing happened, i.e. it would not install. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find HP deskjet toolbox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find HP deskjet toolbox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't find HP deskjet toolbox
by glb613 / November 27, 2004 7:28 PM PST

Try starting over. Sometimes I find trying to fix or patch a problem takes more time then uninstalling everything then reinstalling. Delete the printer, uninstall the software, reboot the computer and start fresh.

Collapse -
by ruthlessinor / November 28, 2004 5:04 AM PST

I believe that the tech who restored my computer was having problems with the printer and decided against uninstalling and then reinstalling again. I'm not sure why. Nor am I sure how the toolbox "disappeared". I thought about doing what you suggest, but I decided against it fearing that even more would be lost.

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 29, 2004 7:45 AM PST

I don't understand your reluctance to uninstall then reinstall the printer. There is nothing to it. It is an easy fix, try it.

Collapse -
by ruthinor / November 30, 2004 9:58 AM PST

glb613,I did what you suggested, i.e. uninstalled and reinstalled the printer. I DID find the toolbox, and I cleaned and calibrated the printer. Unfortunately, this did not solve the original problem....I'm missing both blue and yellow colors when I print in color. As I mentioned earlier, this does not appear to be a cartridge problem since it has occurred with 2 cartridges. If some one has another suggestion, let me know. Thanks.

Collapse -
by Snmyr / November 28, 2004 3:52 PM PST

Try Right clicking on your printer icon go to printer preferences, then clicking on Services. You can also find it under Printer Setup. Properties then Services. It should say something like Open HP Toolbox. Hope This Helps.

Collapse -
by ruthinor / November 29, 2004 5:25 AM PST

Hi Sam, I tried your suggestion, but I could not find toolbox anywhere....it's a mystery, but thanks anyway.

Collapse -
by jferrant1 / December 2, 2004 4:36 AM PST

I had a similar proble with my deskjet a while back. I used the HP forum on their site and a moderator said to take a clean cloth, one that won't leave lint, wet it with a little water, and rub the contacts where the cartridge contacts the printer. You could also try cleaning off the cartridge itself. This seemed to work for me.

John

Collapse -
by ruthinor / December 2, 2004 10:35 AM PST

Hi John,

I tried cleaning with a wet rag twice, and after reinstalling the printer, I used the toolbox to clean the cartridge. Nothing has worked...all I get are pink and black, no blue or yellow. But thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
by janchr / December 3, 2004 10:34 AM PST

I have the exact same problem that just started on my HP932C after going to XP. Reloaded drivers and did all the above with no luck.

Collapse -
by ruthinor / December 4, 2004 3:44 AM PST

I've tried everything I can think of. It must be something that would need repair. It's probably not worth it to me. I just got the HP photoprinter and I can use that instead. But it would have been nice to be able to solve this problem!

Collapse -
by glb613 / December 4, 2004 4:21 AM PST

I'm not sure how old you printer is but, they do go bad. And as cheap as they are today, it doesn't pay to try and fix them.

If you are looking for a new printer, you might try the HP all-in-one, PSC 1350. That is what I have and I really like it.

Collapse -
by ruthinor / December 5, 2004 7:52 AM PST

I got the HP photosmart 7760 which can be used for regular printing as well. I haven't actually used it yet since it just arrived.

Collapse -
HP TOOLBOX I FOUND IT
by pwarmouth / March 13, 2005 11:17 PM PST

When I installed my Printer software it created "HP DIRECTOR" icon on my desktop. Click on this icon and it brings up some pulldown tabs...one is :SETTINGS". Click on settings then chose "PRINT SETTINGS" this brings up "PRINTER TOOLBOX" . Respond back if this helps!

Collapse -
Printer Align and other services for HP Deskjet 880 or 882
by memargolis / February 11, 2008 10:42 PM PST

Since I could not find the Toolbox either, here is a way to align the print cartridge without it. Open the Control Panel, Click Printers, and Right Click on the HP Deskjet 880 or 882 Printer Icon. Click Sharing. Click Services. There you can Align the new cartridge.

Collapse -
Printer Align and other services for HP Deskjet 882C
by ksteil / February 27, 2008 5:57 AM PST

Hi,
I can't thank you enough for your posting. My whole afternoon has been spent looking through my manual, the help pages of Win Vista and HP. I've sent an e-mail to HP for help and not received an answer.

I should ALWAYS go to a CNet Forum first! The answers are there and fast.

Again, thank you to everyone who has the interest and takes the time to help others.
Karin

Collapse -
printing unwanted documents
by landyank / April 22, 2008 7:51 AM PDT

My OS is Windows XP. I just replaced a black ink cartridge, which I've done many times before, but since this replacement, when I boot up after the computer has been off, a sheet that used to come out only after I aligned the new cartridge now comes out automatically each time I boot up after the machine had been turned off. My printer is an hp psc1315 all-in-one. How do I stop this unwanted printing?

Collapse -
HP DeskJet toolbox
by ErwinFleet / February 23, 2010 3:11 AM PST

Can't find HP deskjet toolbox

Collapse -
Missing printer tool box hp
by Persist72 / January 28, 2013 1:43 AM PST

Hi,

For anyone with this problem, I got my toolbox back by,

1) Put HP disc in your computer
2) Go to Start and click on my computer
3) Double click on DVD drive
4) In the files displayed click on Set Up
5) Then in the menu click on the Solution Centre and install Solution Centre. This should do the trick
6)Now go to Control Panel double click and if solution centre is there click on it
7) In solution centre click on Settings then Print Settings and then Printer Toolbox. EUREKA!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.