General discussion

Can't find Flash Drive in My Computer

by haris703 / September 28, 2006 8:21 PM PDT

Dear Sir,

My system:-
OS------WinXp Pro
HDD-----40 gigabit
Memory---786 MB

I can't find my Flash Drive icon in My Computer, but I can find it in Disk Management as H drive.
A search in Google and it said that to change the drive letter/path to K or higher will be alright but I changed from K to the higher one at a time, still can't find the flash drive icon in My Computer.
Please guide me what to do.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely yours
Haris

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find Flash Drive in My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find Flash Drive in My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Explorer can hide drive letters. A simple test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2006 11:14 PM PDT

1. Simple test. Click Start, run, type in ...

H:

Hit enter. What happens?

2. TWEAKUI lets you check that Explorer setting.

Bob

Collapse -
Re Explorer hiding drive letters.
by christy / September 29, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

Hi! Bob,
Is that a bug in Windows which Microsoft see no reasons to fix ? If it is by design, how do I hide drive letters (without TWEAKUI ) ? Thanks.

christy

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't suggest it without TWEAKUI. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2006 12:07 AM PDT

It involves editing the registry.

Bug? No.

Bob

Collapse -
Re why ?
by christy / September 29, 2006 4:34 PM PDT

Just wondering. If Explorer, I would suspect that it is not a perfect tool - ''Explorer'' is an .exe, right ? ''My Documents'' is a folder, controlled by Windows. So-why is the folder hidden, and we have to get a good yet ''unsupported by Microsoft'' tool to have the drive shown ?

christy

Collapse -
I have an answer. But is it acceptable?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2006 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re why ?

Let's look back to the days of Windows NT and Windows 2000. Back then it was expected that we would run text editors to alter configuration files to get hardware working. As we moved from tech heads to consumers this was no longer acceptable to the public.

This is a recent shift in thinking in less than 2 years from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Today consumers may expect a "click here" experience with supported applications. This is not true even today.

Look to the past to see why this is so.

-> About Explorer. There are many configurable features in Explorer that are not exposed via click here interfaces (ie the registry.) Since Tweakui does work for this hiding drive letter issue then that's the answer I'll give to keep us out of trouble.

Bob

Collapse -
O.K.
by christy / September 29, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

So TWEAKUI is the easy "click here" experience way to edit the registry to, as you mentioned, "keep us out of trouble". Still, it does not explain why drive letters "can be" hidden. I guess the answer would have to be "It's Windows!".

christy

Collapse -
Why drive letters can be hidden.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2006 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: O.K.

It's a feature asked for and implemented in Explorer. Not a bug. There are a few hundred other features too that you won't find on a menu or even Tweakui.

I won't attempt to list what you would want to hide a drive letter from Explorer but suffice it to write that some people want this.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.