Question

Can't find boot.ini file

by Jerdonald / March 18, 2012 3:06 PM PDT

XP froum,
Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 SP3

I can't find my boot.ini file using the "search" function
only a boot.ini.backup

I have checked "show hidden files and folders" and unchecked
"Hide protected operating system files".

The BOOT.INI tab in msconfig shows the content of a boot.ini
file and using the settings tab in "Startup and Recovery"
I can edit the boot.ini file but it still isn't found
by "search"

Any suggestions?

jerryd

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find boot.ini file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find boot.ini file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's a hidden protected file.
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2012 8:10 PM PDT

Windows explorer won't see it unless you un-hide it. You need admin privileges to do that. Rather than step by step instructions, just google "display hidden files and folders in windows xp".

Collapse -
Answer
May I ask
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

why you want to see it?

We generally don't recommend changing the boot.ini file. Any errors made can halt loading an OS.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Since you already know ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 20, 2012 4:10 AM PDT

that you can edit the file through the msconfig interface but can't find the file through the Search utility it would appear that you have not set your Folder Options to UNHIDE protected system operating files (you uncheck it and accept the dire warning then it will start showing up).

If you do not want to take that step but do want to find and see and manipulate the file here is what you do (this leaves the rest of the system files well hidden):

1. Open a Command Prompt (various methods but Start > Run> type CMD and click OK works well)
2. In the command prompt window type CD \ then press the enter key
(if you now type DIR boot.* you should only see boot.bak)
3. The prompt should change to C:>
4. now type ATTRIB -s -h boot.ini and press the enter key
5. Now type DIR boot.* and you should see both boot.ini and boot.bak because the file is no longer marked as system nor hidden
6. after doing what you want to do reset the attributes by typing ATTRIB +s + h boot.ini and pressing enter key so someone else doesn't come along and play with or delete the file.

Collapse -
Answer
boot.ini
by Jerdonald / March 21, 2012 2:05 PM PDT

Edward,

Thanks for the reply.

As I stated in my post above I had unchecked "Do not show hidden
files and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files"
but search didn't find the boot.ini file.

I'm not trying to edit the boot.ini file just copy it to a
flash drive.

Your suggestions worked and I was able to copy it.

jerryd

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.