Storage

Resolved Question

Can't Extend Partition?

by ClockWork747 / August 23, 2012 9:22 AM PDT

I've been working with gaining space on my hard drive, I had 3 partitions:
Primary (220 GB)
Backup (around 8 GB)
Empty (1 GB or something)
Now, I've deleted the empty one and shrunk the backup one (It was Vista and I have 7 now), but I can't extend the primary partition in to the unallocated space. the problem might be that the backup partition is "in between" the primary and unallocated areas. Is there a way I can fix this? By the way, I already know about the diskmgmt thing, that's what I've been using. Feel free to ask for clarification.
Thank's for your support,
Deven

P.S. Can I upload pictures to this, or is that not allowed?

ClockWork747 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Extend Partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Extend Partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by ClockWork747

Collapse -
The only way I know is to get 'partitioning SW' as
by VAPCMD / August 23, 2012 9:56 AM PDT

generally speaking you can't change a partition if it's the one you're booting from. If I needed to do it right now....I'd use Acronis DIsk Director. You usually get the SW, load the program and create a bootable CD that allows you to modify the primary bootable partition and the other partitions, if any.

Question is....why do you want to do this ?

Before going further....have you backed up your data ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks!
by ClockWork747 / August 25, 2012 4:21 AM PDT

Thank's for your input. And to answer your questions:

"Question is....why do you want to do this ?"

For two reasons. 1. I've made more space than a gigabyte free since I've shrunk the backup partition because wasn't in use.
2. I'm paranoid about having as much free space as I can manage without having to skim down on progams and stuff too much. You'd probably be AMAZED at some of the things I use on my laptop(s).

"Before going further....have you backed up your data ?"

Not yet, but I'm about to. Thanks for your concern.

I guess that I'm going to have to put the space-getting on hold for now, since the wireless internet capabilities have recently given out on me. That's why I took so long to respond. I typed this on my other laptop.
Thanks for all the help,
Deven

Collapse -
Answer
Why do you want to do this?
by ahtoi / August 23, 2012 12:50 PM PDT

1GB is nothing. Why not just extend the backup?

Collapse -
More than that...
by ClockWork747 / August 25, 2012 4:06 AM PDT

I've shrunk the backup drive since it wasn't in use. Now it's more than just a measly little gigabyte and a half. Thank's for the concern, though.

Collapse -
Answer
Your data. Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2012 2:10 AM PDT

Once you've decided you have a few backups and a few recovery plans, you could use GPARTED to push the partitions around and extend them.

This is not an offer to write the tutorial here. This is YOUR DATA and YOUR CHOICE. When you do this, it's never a sure thing and this has confused folk new to playing with partitions.

It's safer to juggle sticks of dynamite.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.