Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Can't download Windows Updates.

by caktus / October 14, 2005 7:24 PM PDT

When I go to Wundows update http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us The Window Update dialogue opens saying "The updates are being downloaded and installed". Windows Update indicates 8 Critical Updates neet to be installed. I have tried both Express and Manual install. The Windows Update site has even rechcecked to make sure I am using an genuine Windows product.

I niticed in the Start menu there is also a Microsoft Update When I go to http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Although it appears to be the same URL all I get is a blank page and the IE window freezes and I have to End Task.

The Windows Update dialogue opens saying "The updates are being downloaded and installed". Windows Update indicates 8 Critical Updates neet to be installed. I have tried both Express and Manual install. The Windows Update site has even rechcecked to make sure I am using an genuine Windows product.

But nothing happens. The Installation status box stays blank and the download progress bar continually says "Preparing for download" After about 10 minutes the Installing Updates dialogue says "Updates were unable to be successfully installed". No error messages or codes received.

Meanwhile the Windows Connector icon in the Taskbar indicates no data being transfered except it occassionally flashes as though it is attempting to connect to the server.

Currently updated AVG, S&D, Ewido, MS Antispyware, Registry Mechanic and Adawre indicate no problems. HJT does not seem to indicate any problems. Trying System Restore didn't help.

Using XP Home, IE6 SP2.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

But nothing happens. The Installation status box stays blank and the download progress bar continually says "Preparing for download" After about 10 minutes the Installing Updates dialogue says "Updates were unable to be successfully installed". No error messages or codes received.

Meanwhile the Windows Connector icon in the Taskbar indicates no data being transfered except it occassionally flashes as though it is attempting to connect to the server.

Currently updated AVG, S&D, Ewido, MS Antispyware, Registry Mechanic and Adawre indicate no problems. HJT does not seem to indicate any problems. Trying System Restore didn't help.

Using XP Home, IE6 SP2.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't download Windows Updates.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't download Windows Updates.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be an intermittent problem with the site?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 14, 2005 8:04 PM PDT

Hi Carol.

I don't know for how many days you have tried, but this has happened to me a couple of times, and without making any changes to my system the downloads went through ok a few days later.

Could be the same this time for you?

I note you now have Ewido. Have you set "Realtime protection" to Active? I don't know what this would do if you have, or why it would halt windows updates, but if instaling Ewido is the only security change you have made since the last WU, it could be worth a look at.

My own Ewido has passed it's 14 day trial period now, so my realtime protection is disabled anyway.

The Microsoft Update is the newer version of Windows Update and was put onto your Start Menu some while ago from a previous update. That's the one you should be using, but I reckon at this stage it is the web site and not you.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
Could be...
by caktus / October 15, 2005 10:56 AM PDT

been trying three days now. Both lnks seem to work now except no successeflu download.

I'd use Auto downloads but I hear it checks for updates every 5 seconds or so and slows down the puter. Any thoughtd on this?

Guess I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Just one, (thought)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2005 6:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Could be...
Collapse -
No fix, but got'em...
by caktus / October 21, 2005 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one, (thought)

I tried MS free email support and received back the following troubleshooting steps:

To troubleshoot this issue, we can perform the following steps:

Step 1: Clean Boot
===================
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type ''msconfig'' (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
3. On the Startup tab, click Disable All.
4. On the Services tab, check the box before ''Hide All Microsoft Services'' and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.
A dialog box will appear indicating that some changes have been applied to Windows Configurations. Please mark the check box and then cancel this dialog box.
6. Please check if the issue persists in Clean Boot mode.

Note: To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, click Normal Startup on the General tab in the System Configuration Utility, click OK, and then restart the computer.

Step 2: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder
=======================================
One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Step 3: Reset Internet Explorer settings
=======================================
1. Click Start, Run, type: inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click Delete Cookies, and click OK.
3. In the same tab click Delete Flies, check the ''Delete all offline contents'' box and click OK.

4. Click on the ''Security'' tab. Click on each zone and click the button ''Default Level''.
5. Click the Advanced tab, and click ''Restore Defaults''.
6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restarting).
7. Click to select the Use HTTP 1.1 and the Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections check boxes.

After we perform all the above steps, I recommend you try to install the updates from the Windows Update Site again to test the issue.

If it still does not work, please let me know which update you want to install and help me collect some information to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Please send me the ''WindowsUpdate.log'' file for further research.

The file is located in C:\WINDOWS (assuming the system drive is C:).
Please send it to v-30suwa@mssupport.microsoft.com <mailto:v-30suwa@mssupport.microsoft.com>

2. Please capture a screenshot when you receive the error message (code):

1) Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2) Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
3) In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as ''Save as type'', and click Save.
4) Please send this file to the email account: v-30suwa@mssupport.microsoft.com <mailto:v-30suwa@mssupport.microsoft.com>

I look forward to hearing from you. I am happy to be of assistance and am standing by for your update.

However none of it helped. I sent the JPEG mentioned and am still waiting to hear back. (Four days now and nothing.)

However since I am able to download the list of Critical updates I need, I was able to search for and download them at http://www.softwarepatch.com/index.html using their search window. The patch downloads seemed to be signed by MS but I scanned each one for viruses and scumware anyway and they came up clean. After installing them I went to Windows update to download a list of updates and no needed updates were found. It was a hassle downloading them one at a time but I got them.

I found other such sites but was wary of them.

Collapse -
Sorry for the delay
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2005 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: No fix, but got'em...

Hi again Carol. I'm sorry I've delayed in replying.

It seems you've got all the updates now so hopefully you're ok for the time being.

Come back if you have problems with the next batch.

Mark

Collapse -
No problem Mark. BTW...
by caktus / October 22, 2005 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the delay

I'm still not Carol. Prefer Charlie.

Before the big forum format change awhile back I was using my real name. But after the format change had to re-register and goofed it up and never bothered to correct it. Just changed it. Guess we'll now see if I got it right this time.

Have a great day.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope. Guess I'm stuck with it.
by caktus / October 22, 2005 12:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
I ''really'' don't know
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 22, 2005 7:34 PM PDT

why I insist on calling you Carol.

I do have one excuse, a faint one and it wouldn't hold up in court, but I am old and decrepid, and my mind is going.

I think I'll call you Fred from now on.

Sorry Charlie, I will do better next time. (Is Charlie your real name, or do you just prefer that, like you would prefer "anything" to Carol? Happy ).

Mark

Collapse -
Hi Mark...
by caktus / October 23, 2005 3:21 AM PDT

If your memory is really that bad I'm not far behind. In fact, I'm dead on your heals. i.e. My dialup takes about 15 seconds and by the time I'm online often I've littetally forgotten why I was going online. It's amazing I get to where I'm going when I'm behind the wheel (mabe it's a different deminsion).

As in my updated profile you'll see I'm Charles Kunz. Used to prefer Chuck until a commrade in the Corps started calling me Charlie and everyone else followed suite, so now I'm Charlie.

Have a great day.

Collapse -
Can't download Windows Updates
by lohnsteuer / October 22, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

I am using XP PRO SP2 IE6 and for some time now have been experiencing similar problems. The updates are downloaded but on each occasion after downloads have been completed I receive message saying unable to install.
The next day when I enter site again, there are no downloads showing so I do a review of update history. There are times when the files which were downloaded the previous day show in the review as having been installed. H/ever for October updates, nothing show up as being installed. That is the situation at this time of writing.
Having said that, I decided to utilize MBSA which in turn found these downloads and I installed them manually
My question is, the fact that they have been found using MBSA and installed manually, why is it that they do not show up as having been installed within microsoft updates review of update.

Collapse -
Who knows...
by caktus / October 22, 2005 12:32 PM PDT

Guess there's a right way, a wrong way, and the Microsoft way. I occassionally consider throwing XP out the window.

Since I am able to download the list of Critical updates I need, I was able to search for and download them at http://www.softwarepatch.com/index.html using their search window. The patch downloads seemed to be signed by MS but I scanned each one for viruses and scumware anyway and they came up clean. After installing them I went to Windows update to download a list of updates and no needed updates were found. It was a hassle downloading them one at a time but I got them. And after installation I'm storing them on CD in case I end up having to install them again.

I found other such sites but was wary of them.

Collapse -
Troubleshooter
by Cursorcowboy / October 22, 2005 11:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Success...
by caktus / October 23, 2005 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Troubleshooter
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm glad you got it sorted at last Charlie
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 23, 2005 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Success...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.