Computer Newbies forum

Question

Can't download programs- timing out after very short time?

by ayngelwing / March 27, 2012 1:12 PM PDT

OS Windows 8
IE

I tried downloading Picasa from Google, got Error of

"Unable to Download Picasa - Download has timed out"

so I came here to CNET and tried.... got the same message.

The download starts, reaches about 95% within 10 seconds and then I get the error message! Is that not crazy fast???
Is there some setting somewhere that I can change or???
Help, please?
Thanks in advance to all!
glenda

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't download programs- timing out after very short time?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't download programs- timing out after very short time?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is this where you tried to download it from?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 28, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Will try again...
by ayngelwing / March 28, 2012 3:14 AM PDT

Hello Lee,
I tried at the CNET Downloads and the Picasa Sites, both at least a dozen times with the same negative results.
Having said that, I will try again today, and let you know... I appreciate your help.
Best Regards
glenda

Collapse -
BTW we also tried on a computer with IE8 running Windows XP
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 28, 2012 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Will try again...

and the file downloaded and installed without any issues.

Can you tell me what the error messages says?

Thanks,
-Lee

Collapse -
Okay..here we go...
by ayngelwing / March 28, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

Just read the rest of the posts, and so I'll let you know I'm running both Windows 8 AND IE8, lol.

I tried again, and the download whips right thru in just a few seconds, till it gets to 95% and either 1 or two seconds remaining. Then the error box comes up. The exact wording is:

"Unable to download Picasa-39-setup.exe from software-files-a.cnet.com
The operation timed out"

Oddly, the download box continues in the background, with the file pages moving from the earth to the file, but it doesn't go any further....

It's so frustrating! How can it time out at five or six seconds???

glenda

Collapse -
I really can't tell you as I don't have Windows 8 beta...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 28, 2012 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay..here we go...

This looks like it's more an Windows 8 beta issue than on our end or on Google Picasa Sites. Windows 8 is in beta now, so I'm not too sure what is or what isn't compatible.

And as Mark asked you, have you reported it to Microsoft? Since you are testing Windows 8 beta, I'm also curious as why would you run IE8 on Windows 8, should it come with IE9 or some higher beta version like 10?

I've downloaded this title on Windows 7 and Windows XP machines using IE8 and 9 with no problems whatsoever, which leads me to believe, it's something with Windows 8.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help here, but our site as of now doesn't support Windows 8 until it is official released to the general public.

I hope you do find a solution soon. Good luck!

-Lee

Collapse -
Hi again...
by ayngelwing / March 28, 2012 10:26 AM PDT

Hi Lee,
Thank you very much for your efforts, I do appreciate it.
I have not reported the problem to Microsoft, but will after this post.
You asked:

"" Since you are testing Windows 8 beta, I'm also curious as why would you run IE8 on Windows 8, should it come with IE9 or some higher beta version like 10?""

I have to say that I can't say that I'm "running" anything with anything, lol. ( I didn't for example, know that I'm "testing" Windows 8!) It's somehow is just what I have. To be honest, I don't recall choosing to have either Windows 8 OR IE8!

At any rate, I will report the issue to Microsoft, and perhaps look at making some changes in my system.

Thanks again for all your help!

Best regards,
glenda

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 8
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 4:32 AM PDT

I see you are testing Windows 8.

How do the downloads go with your normal OS?

If they work with no problems, have you reported this possible bug to Microsoft?

Mark

Collapse -
This is my bad
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 28, 2012 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 8

I overlooked Windows 8 and just assumed it was IE8..Oops.

I'll let Glenda know if it is Windows 8 OS and/or IE8 that she is using.

Thanks for pointing that out Mark.

-Lee

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator on 03/28/2012 at 1:44 PM PT

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks, Mark...
by ayngelwing / March 28, 2012 10:30 AM PDT

Hi Mark.
I went and tried to download some random software just to see if it would work, and it was fine, so I guess the problem is some kind of compatibility issue with Windows 8 and Picasa.
I will be reporting it to Microsoft, thanks for the suggestion. I'm really not terribly computer savvy.

Thanks again for your help!
glenda

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.