Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Can't download anything programs

by Zacash / May 18, 2010 1:17 PM PDT

I am using Windows7 and IE8 on a Dell2350. The computer was working fine till last Friday and now I can't download anything. I keep getting a message saying "Unable to download... Unable to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later." The dialog box itself doesn't show how big the file is or the download speed or the time left. I also keep getting a message saying a program has corrutped my program setting.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't download anything programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't download anything programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This can be several things
by BSharpe37 / May 19, 2010 7:31 AM PDT

First off a little m ore information.

Can you access websites other then this one your trying to download from? Can you download from those other websites? (Rule out a website issue)

Try flushing your DNS
go to START > RUN > Type "CMD" > Press Enter(On your keyboard) > type " ipconfig /flushdns" then type "ipconfig /registerdns"

That should refresh the DNS. Then what were going to do is a general 'Reset' on your Internet Exploder 8 (IE8). Launch Internet Explorer (Your web browser) and go to "Tools" In the menu bar. (By the top address bar normally) Select "Internet Options". This wil;l open the options for IE8. Select the "Advanced" tab. Its on the top by the other tabs. Under the Advanced tab select "Reset". A pop-up will ask if your sure and a summary of the reset. Check the box "Delete personal settings" then click "OK"

After it finishes it will state you need to close the browser for the settings to take affect. Go ahead and close the web browser.

Reopen IE8 and try to download something. If you get the same message, hold "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" on your keyboard (No do not hold the "+" thats just soemthing we use to indicate all 3 at the same time) This will open task manager. Another way to open task manager is to right click your task bar and select task manager.
once task manager is open, select the "Processes" tab. Sort the processes by name by selecting "Name" or "image Name". Look down in the "G" area for a program called "gamevance" or "gamevance32.exe" If you see this you have got some adware on your computer. Sadly this stops IE from working correctly. You can end the task int he processes and IE should start working correctly again. You will need to remove the adware from your system if you dont want to have to do this every tiem you try IE.

To remove gamevance open you "My computer or "Computer" from your start menu. Select your "C:" or "Local drive" Expand the "program files" folder. Find a folder int here relating to "gamevance" It may be hidden under some oddly named programs tryign to discuise itself as a video game.

try reinstalling IE8.

Of course you will have to use another computer to download the software if your current wont download.

If reinstalling doesnt solve the issue. Try another browser like firefox. personally Firefox is much better then IE8 and you can even download free ad-blocking software to make your pages load faster and store less ad cookies on your machine.

Collapse -
Can't download any programs
by Zacash / May 19, 2010 9:28 AM PDT

thanks BSharpe..I tried what you said..ipcongig/flushdns worked fine but when I tried ipconfig/registerdns I got a message saying "The requested operation requires elevation." The whole thing started when I was opening Skype. I kept getting an error saying I/O disc error. After that I got another message saying " A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider,Softonic-Eng 7 Customised Web Search ( Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers."
Everytime I try to install a new search provider it doesn't work. I can access different websites but I cannot download any programs like Skpe, Adobe Reader or Adobe Flash. I keep getting a message saying "Unable to download that particular file. Unable to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later." The dialog box appears but doesn't give any details about the size of the file, time left or speed. Only the Cancel box is highlighted and then a while later I get the above message.

Collapse -
Did you try it?
by BSharpe37 / May 19, 2010 9:47 AM PDT

Did you try the other steps? As far as Resetting IE8 and downloading at another PC IE8 adn reinstalling it on yours?

Collapse -
Can't download any programs
by Zacash / May 19, 2010 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you try it?

Yes I did..keep getting the same message

Collapse -
Other things to try.
by Kees Bakker / May 19, 2010 5:45 PM PDT

1. Get rid of that Softonic-Eng 7 Customised Web Search. Why did you install that?
2. Disable all add-ons in IE (from Tools>Manage Add-ons) and try again.
3. On another PC, download Chrome or Firefox and install those via a USB-stick on this PC. Can you download using that browsers?

Collapse -
by Zacash / May 20, 2010 9:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Other things to try.

Thanks guys...I really appreciate everything. I managed to reboot and downloaded Mozilla Firefox straightaway. Everything is working fine but Skype. I keep getting a Disk I/O error and I don't know what to do about it. The Skype help line is not much help. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Run CMD as Administrator
by jfaulkenberry / April 26, 2011 6:02 AM PDT

I realize that you are past this problem now, but I had the same problem with not being able to download anything...including AV software updates. I followed BSharpe37's instructions above and initially ran into the same problem you had when I tried ipconfig/registerdns - "The requested operation requires elevation."

I then opened All Programs and right clicked on Command Prompt (normally in Accessories/System Tools) and ran it as Adminstrator. The ipconfig/registerdns command was then accepted, so I followed the next steps to reset IE8. After closing and reopening the browser, everything works more download problems. Thanks Bharpe37!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.