Computer Help forum

General discussion

can't download anything...nothing happens

by kennyboy09 / December 24, 2004 4:14 AM PST

I'm having some trouble donwloading lately. I first noticed it when I wanted to download an update to ZoneAlarm Pro, and it has since happened often. I click on the update button, which takes me to a page that says if your update doesn't start within so many seconds, press here. Well, nothing happens, so I press here, and nothing else happens, ever. No matter how many times I press it. I have tried adjusting my security levels to bare minimum, have set all firewall settings to off, and still same result. Could this be a conflict with XP SP2? Seems like this cropped up after I installed it. The SP2 firewall is off. Any ideas??
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't download anything...nothing happens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't download anything...nothing happens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Few Possiblities..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 24, 2004 5:02 AM PST

First, try to get another browser installed on the computer so you can use it as a backup. Personally, I like Firefox, but any secure browser will do. Here's a link to the Firefox site:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

If you are using Internet Explorer, XP's SP2 puts up some warnings for all downloads. The new "Information Bar" which pops up at the top of the screen allows you to download but blocks the downloads initially till you select to "Allow" them. Please change these settings and it should work:

While in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Internet Options". When that loads, click on the "Security" tab, then click on the Internet icon (the world globe), then click on the "Custom Level" button. When that loads, scroll to the "Downloads" section and place a CHECK mark in the "Enable" box for "Automatic Prompting For File Downloads". (If it's already at "Enable" try selecting "Disable".) Click OK, Apply, Ok, etc.

Here's the Microsoft KB about it:

How to configure Internet Explorer automatic download prompts on your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks, but... still nothing
by kennyboy09 / December 24, 2004 5:59 PM PST
In reply to: A Few Possiblities..

I tried all your suggestions, but no success. I appreciate the information you gave me, but it didn't seem to rectify my problem. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Installing Firefox Didn't Allow You To Download?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 25, 2004 3:03 AM PST

Understand that you may need to download the installer file from a computer which has download capabilities, copy it to a CD, then transfer it to the problem machine, then install it.

Here's the next thing you should try...Make sure that both ZoneAlarm AND the XP SP2 firewall are disabled, test the machine and everything works correctly, re-enable ONLY one. Do it this way: Shut down ZA Pro, then open the Control Panel, double click on the "Windows Firewall" icon, then set it to "Off", then click on OK.

Now restart the computer and see if you can download and connect correctly.

Another possiblity is that the SP2 pop up blocker is causing an issue. While in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Pop Up Blocker", then select "Turn OFF Pop Up Blocker".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
getting nowhere
by kennyboy09 / December 25, 2004 6:21 AM PST

I would like to install Firefox, but my computer will not download it!!!
This problem has only arisen a couple of weeks ago, so it's not like it has never downloaded anything before. I've downloaded tons of updates for various applications, mp3's, games, all sorts of stuff. I've run a complete virus scan; it's clean. I have tried all you suggested (shutting down ZA and SP@ firewalls, turning off Pop Up Blocker, etc.), still nothing. This is starting to drive me crazy. I don't have a problem downloading Norton Antivirus updates. HELP!!

Collapse -
Kenny, Please Read What I Suggested...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 25, 2004 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: getting nowhere

The first sentence of my previous post was this:

Understand that you may need to download the installer file from a computer which has download capabilities, copy it to a CD, then transfer it to the problem machine, then install it.

The problem appears to be related to Internet Explorer and it's ability to download. This could be spyware or simply a problem with Internet Explorer. You can try repairing Internet Explorer by reinstalling Service Pack 2 (assuming you have it on a CD or saved to a folder somewhere) or install a second browser which should then allow you to download and install possible fixes for Internet Explorer which would involve downloading and installing spyware removal tools, or other items as well.. The newest Windows Scripting engine fixes some of these issues BUT, you'll need to download it. It's your choice.

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
One possibility
by PudgyOne / December 25, 2004 5:40 PM PST

One possibility is that you have changed where you are downloading to. When I was first new, I changed a setting, and everytime I got an update, it would never install.

Using the control panel
Try uninstalling your Internet Service Provider
(example CompuServe, Netzero)

Restart your computer

Reinstall your Internet Service Provider

Restart your computer

Then try downloading and see if that works

Collapse -
question for PudgyOne
by kennyboy09 / December 29, 2004 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: One possibility

Forgive me if this seems like a stuid question, but... if I uninstall IE, how do I get back online to reinstall it, or any other ISP?

Collapse -
Kenny, Most ISP's Have An Installer File...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: question for PudgyOne

or a CD which can be used to install the Internet Service Provider's software...Remember, Pudge didn't ask you to uninstall Internet Explorer which is what you suggested. He asked you to uninstall the Internet Service Provider's software, then reinstall it..Once the software is reinstalled, you should be able to start the software again, then reconnect to the internet..

If you don't have a copy of the ISP's software installer, then you'll need to download it on another computer and copy it to your computer so you can use it later.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Kenny, Other Options For Fixing The Download Issue
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: getting nowhere

First, check the Internet Explorer settings like this:

While in Internet Explorer, click on ?Tools? in the upper left, choose ?Internet Options?. When that opens, click on the ?Security? tab, then click on the ?Internet? icon (the world globe), then click on the ?Custom Level? button. When that loads, scroll to the ?Downloads? section and make sure the boxes next to ?Enable? are CHECKED. If you make any changes, click on ?Apply?, then OK.
_________

If that doesn't help, then follow the steps below in the order I've given them.

BROKEN DOWNLOAD PROMPT FIX:

If you click on "download" and no longer get a dialog box asking if you want to "save the file to disk" or "open from this location", how can you get this function back?

There are a few things you may want to try. One is to right click on the file you want to download and choose "Save target as..." and then it should prompt you to put it in a specific folder. This should revert your settings to prompt you to save to disk and place it in a specified folder when you left click to download.

The other option is to check your registry settings. IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "Regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, Click on Registry in the upper left corner of the window, choose "Export Registry File". When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like. While in Regedit go to the following key:

HKEY CLASSES ROOT\exefile
Double-click on EditFlags, and change the
value from 38 07 01 00 to 38 07 00 00, then close Regedit.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
That's got it
by kennyboy09 / December 30, 2004 4:59 AM PST

Your idea to "...right click on the file you want to download and choose "Save target as..." and then it should prompt you to put it in a specific folder" worked! Yippeee!

Thanks for your perseverance, Grif.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kenny, Way To Go !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 30, 2004 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: That's got it
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.