Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

can't download anything from Download.com!

by dd.oliver / August 13, 2010 4:36 AM PDT

I use Firefox (always up to date, currently 3.6.8) and within the past week or two, any and all downloads on CNET Download.com stopped working in this browser. When I paste the url into Chrome, those same downloads work just fine.

I haven't made any changes or added anything to prevent this (I do have the NoScript add-on running, but everything on CNET is set as "allowed")...I have even tried adding exceptions in the security and pop-up tabs in Firefox, but that doesn't fix the problem.

Any help? I would really like to continue using Firefox and CNET, which has been a great combo for me for some time now!

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't download anything from Download.com!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't download anything from Download.com!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
download.com is not enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: download.com is not enough
by dd.oliver / August 13, 2010 5:36 AM PDT

Thanks, but I don't see any solutions there. I have NoScript set to allow all of the sites listed on CNET/Download.com, and have included both of these in my exceptions in Firefox settings, so I'm baffled as to why the site suddenly stopped allowing me to download (I have to use Chrome)...

Collapse -
Then turn noscript off till someone discovers what else.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

I've seen facebook and other sites come up when I hit cnet, download.com but let me just tell you I don't have the entire list. I know that download.com, cnet.com is not enough.

Maybe someone will share the entire list soon.
Bob

Collapse -
Required domains...
by John.Wilkinson / August 14, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

Off hand, I believe you should only need to whitelist *.CNET.com and *.com.com (yes, that's com.com). Note that the preceding asterisk means all subdomains...that must be included to avoid continued blocking. Regardless, let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.
John

Collapse -
I agree with Bob here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

At the very least it's a good test.

Open your browser, disable NoScript. Visit CNET and try a Download.com download. if it works, then you have your culprit. If it still doesn't work then you've lost nothing from the test and we look at other possibilities.

Mark

Collapse -
Re Firefox Problem cannot download anything-
by andreaborman / September 3, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

Since I have upgraded to Firefox 368,I too have had problems. Firefox crashes several times and slows down. But did you know if you have windows on your computer including Windows 7 like me.There is a new Firefox browser made only for Windows,it is Pale Moon browser. This is exactly like Firefox but with none of its problems and is much faster than Firefox.Pale Moon is not open source but has the firefox code so works the same as Firefox and all of the Firefox add ons will work with this browser. You can use it alongside Firefox or instead of Firefox on its own.I have now uninstalled Firefox and am now using Pale Moon instead it is only a Pity that C net has not yet added this new browser Pale Moon to its download list as it is exacly the same as Firefox but without all the problems Firefox has. Andrea.

Collapse -
tried your cookies/cache?
by CNET_TechTracker / September 10, 2010 7:43 AM PDT

Hi dd.oliver,

I'm sorry for chiming in so late. I have just a few questions for ya:

1) What is the error message you receive, or the behavior involved?

2) Are you logged into CNET.com at the time, or logged out?

I'm not sure whether or not you have tried this already, but have you tried just a cookie/cache dump of that browser and then a browser re-start? I'm wondering if there's some corrupted preference or cookie that is causing a problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.