Computer Help forum

Question

Can't do a reinstall of Win XP after running Free Killdisk

by blood2wine / March 29, 2013 3:18 AM PDT

Had a Acer Aspire laptop with old version of Ubuntu on it. Used a free Killdisk cd on it and tried to reinstall Windows XP from a cd. Cannot get it to reinstall. Also, have some "non authentic " cds with windows on them that have worked in past and now they wont reinstall either. Have win 32 bit and win 64 bit.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't do a reinstall of Win XP after running Free Killdisk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't do a reinstall of Win XP after running Free Killdisk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What error message are you getting?
by wpgwpg / March 29, 2013 3:27 AM PDT

When you boot from the XP install disc, what error message are you getting? How far into the setup are you getting? Do you get to the point where it asks you if you if you want to create a partition? Does your laptop have a SATA hard drive? If so, did you disable AHCI in the BIOS? To install XP on a PC with a SATA hard drive, you need to disable AHCI because the XP install software doesn't support SATA.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
True. XP is usually too hard to install on these new things
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 3:27 AM PDT

Most Aspires use SATA HDDs and XP knows nothing about that. Google this to see folk have been discussing this for years.

-> How do I install XP to a SATA hard drive?

Not much new going on here. For more ideas, let's have you supply the manual to this laptop. I need to see if it can emulate IDE.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
One thing I've found

One thing I've found about XP, is that the installer doesn't like it when it finds a HDD with non-FAT or NTFS partition types. In theory you should be able to delete them and create new ones after the first stage installer gets rolling, but at least in my experience, it always stalls while loading files, you never even get to the part where you can start the install process.

So I would get a gparted disc, and use that to create an NTFS partition in place of the Ext3 (or possibly Ext2) partition that's likely there now. Whatever partitions exist now, get rid of them and make a new NTFS partition or partitions. Then if you use one of the pirated copies of Windows you have, don't bother coming back if you run into additional problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

EDITORS' PICKS

$16,000 used SUVs

Whether you like your SUVs cute or capable, or some blend of the two, we've got a wide variety of choices in Roadshow's first collection of Editors' Used Picks.