Audio & Video Software forum

Can't delete iTunes from my thumb drive

by darthzyrus / February 10, 2013 11:37 AM PST

I bought a used pc and copied some songs on it to a thumb drive. Now I can't delete any of them off the thumb. Keeps saying copyright protected. I have tried everything I can think of under the sun to delete them. I used a 32 gig thumb and can't do anything with it until I can remove those stubborn songs. HELP!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't delete iTunes from my thumb drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't delete iTunes from my thumb drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Usually it says write protected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 11:47 AM PST

You could format the drive after you copy what you want to save off it.

Collapse -
Write protected
by darthzyrus / February 11, 2013 2:32 AM PST

It says write protected. I have tried to format it but it won't even let me do that. I don't understand why. The drive was practially brand new and I'm at the point of throwing it away if I can't remove the songs.

Collapse -
Let a friend format it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Write protected

If it fails, it's just another brick. I wish there was more to the story but sticks only last so long.

Collapse -
by darthzyrus / February 12, 2013 1:29 AM PST

Do the same on every computer. Won't let me format it either. So I'm stumped now. Tried safe mode, unlock, loads of suggestions and nothing has worked. Of course I can't get any help from Apple either. Their customer support sucks bad.

Collapse -
just as a matter of curiosity,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Write protected

is there a little sliding switch that has a tiny picture of a padlock unlocked and a padlock locked on that device?

If there is, push the slider each way a couple of times and then settle on the padlock unlock icon

Collapse -
by darthzyrus / February 12, 2013 1:26 AM PST

Tried that many times. Won't do it.

Collapse -
I've seen 32 GB ones for $10, buy another one
by wpgwpg / February 12, 2013 1:33 AM PST

You're going through a lot when you could buy another 32 GB flash drive for as little as $10. I would've bought another one a long time ago. As Bob says, these things can and do go bad sometimes. Stuff happens.

Collapse -
by darthzyrus / February 12, 2013 3:44 AM PST

Yes. Looks as thought I will have to get another one. Thanks all.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.