Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Can't Delete Ghost Folder

by wy737 / July 26, 2013 7:10 AM PDT

In my desktop has one system folder, it is no name and no properties, I can not delete and rename it, even I use windows safe mode. Only when I use different name to login windows, it is disappeared.

This ghost Icon no name and no property. After right click on the folder, Only show three items "Cut", "Create Shortcut" and "Delete" in the box, not like normal will show lot of items in box. If click any one of three item, can not cut or delete this icon.

Any one can help me ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Delete Ghost Folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Delete Ghost Folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Boot from a live CD & delete it
by wpgwpg / July 26, 2013 7:23 AM PDT

Get a live CD like Ubuntu, boot from it, and delete the folder in question.

Collapse -
Live CD
by wy737 / July 26, 2013 8:27 AM PDT

What is that ?

Collapse -
Must be hundreds today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Live CD

If I type LIVE CD at yahoo, google, ask.com and more I find them. There are so many that I suggest you go with what you like.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Wait
by mchainmchain / July 26, 2013 5:37 PM PDT

There's more to it than meets the eye here.

Assuming you have two user accounts on your system, in which one does the hidden folder (ghostlike) folder appear and does it appear on the desktop? Could it be that, if indeed there are two separate accounts, one of them has the file attributes set to show hidden folders.

Google how to hide/unhide files and system files on XP. Maybe that is all you need to do. System folders, btw, should never be messed with, in most cases, just so you know.

If you are getting an "access denied" error, best to leave that one alone. It helps to get all details, including error messages, so we can get to the correct and best answer possible sooner, rather than later. Guessing will cause bad answers more often than good ones.

Collapse -
Can't Delete Ghost Folder
by wy737 / July 29, 2013 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait
Collapse -
There are good options here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

You can use a Live CD or learn to use the command line to delete it. At least it's just an annoyance and does not appear to be anything more than that.
Bob

Collapse -
Live CD
by wy737 / July 30, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

I build Live CD follow the "How to make windows XP live cd step by step guide" , but the CD doesn't work for my computer.

Anyone can help me to delete ghost icon ?

Collapse -
Never found that to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 9:03 AM PDT

Dead end in my opinion. If you wanted XP why didn't you use HIREN'S? It at:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

And it has that ready to use portable XP. It may still obey NTFS PERMISSIONS but as NTFS PERMISSIONS has been so widely documented and discussed I'll stop and repeat the following.

Next time try Ubuntu. You don't have to know Linux to use it.
Bob

Collapse -
Live CD
by wy737 / July 31, 2013 4:26 AM PDT

Good news, my Live CD is working now.
But I don't know how to login my windows account, some one could help me ?

Collapse -
-> I NEVER HAD TO LOG INTO MY ACCOUNT <-
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 4:41 AM PDT

I just had to open Explorer (I'm making a brash assumption this is the XP Live CD) and find the user's home folder then the Desktop folder to delete the offending item.
Bob

Collapse -
need login account
by wy737 / July 31, 2013 4:49 AM PDT

Hi, bob,

If I not login my current account, this ghost icon will disappear.

Collapse -
We need a bigger boat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: need login account

In other words we are going to deeper waters.

To delete an item on a Desktop, that item is in one of two places (99.999% of the time) and that's the folder named Desktop in the user's home folder.

I would NEVER need to log into that account to do this delete.
Bob

Collapse -
Login account images
by wy737 / July 31, 2013 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: We need a bigger boat.
Collapse -
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Login account images

And all this is supposed to happen as each user has their own Desktop folder.

Collapse -
Can't find
by wy737 / July 31, 2013 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: TRUE!

The problem is I can't find in my own desktop folder.
Anywhere else to story this ghost icon ?

Collapse -
So far you are sticking with Windows and as such
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't find

You may be unable to get this fixed. Here we can open a command line to use the DIR /A command in the Desktop folder for more clues but I find folk need some mousified OS. Sure, we can do that. A Live XP CD is useless in this work!

That's why I use a Live CD with Ubuntu since no Linux knowledge is required plus it does not have the user learning NTFS permissions.

-> We have a lot of posts here and I've yet to see you try the usual Live CD.

http://johnsonyip.com/wordpress/2009/11/03/if-you-cant-delete-a-file-in-windows-you-can-always-boot-into-ubuntu-to-delete-it/

Is one of thousands of web pages about this. It's a shame this appears to not have been done.
Bob

Collapse -
did you just try
by itsdigger / July 31, 2013 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't find

dragging and dropping that icon into the recycle bin?

Collapse -
Thanks
by wy737 / July 31, 2013 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: did you just try

I try already, doesn't work.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Sometimes I feel like I'm dragging the members
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 11:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bob is right though
by itsdigger / July 31, 2013 11:27 AM PDT

it's so simple to use a live cd for this stuff . You should give it a try . Put the live disc into the disc drive,don't install it but run as a Live CD, click on the Home File (Ubuntu if you're using it) , click on user, choose user , click on desktop, click on file or icon you wish to remove and send to recycle bin, empty recycle bin, close the program, remove disc and restart Windows. It's pretty easy

Collapse -
Re: Ghost Icon
by mchainmchain / July 30, 2013 6:52 PM PDT

Since one account does not show this file anomaly, and the other one does, could be issues with the user account in question; have you tried to create a new separate user account with the same user credentials (admin or standard user)? You've not said what this account is, admin or standard.

Creating a new user account could solve this issue and more. Could be worth a try.

If it works, then migrate all data from the old to the new, and use that one to login to your company network. Do not delete the old account until you are satisfied that the new account works as it should and all data is brought over.

BTW, where are your corporate IT people in all of this?

Collapse -
Use new accoutt
by wy737 / July 31, 2013 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ghost Icon

Yes, another account does not have this ghost icon.
The problem is IT people doesn't want to me change my new account, they say they don't have time to fix this small potato problem.

Anyway thank all of helpers.

Collapse -
curiosity again
by itsdigger / July 31, 2013 11:19 AM PDT

you said "The problem is I need use my current account to login my company network." Is this a company computer that you need ADMIN rights to make these kinds of changes?

Collapse -
Answer
Let's create this mess again for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 11:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Thanks Everyone !
by wy737 / August 5, 2013 2:35 AM PDT

Good news, I find this ugly ghost icon where save to.
I use regedit, find in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{55AAF5DC-BF9F-4D8A-92D4-869B040D54A1}", this icon is old "Internet Explore".
And This Icon from my "ntuser.dat" file.

I use try use "regedit" to delete this key, but still there. Can't delete it.

Anyone know:
!. How to modify this key in "regedit" ?
2. Or how to use software to edit "ntuser.dat" ? I open this "ntuse.dat" in "regedit", but still can't delete that key.

Anyone can help me, plx.

Collapse -
Keys in the registry have owners and permissions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Everyone !

Just like the NTFS (NT File System.) I strongly suggest you make a restore point then you can take ownership of the key, add you as an owner with full rights and again, since that is widely discussed, I'll stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks Everyone!
by Wialliam / August 6, 2013 9:25 AM PDT

Good news!

I use regedit to solved this problem.

Thank every one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.