Computer Newbies

Question

Can't delete folder

by Jonathan Huffman / March 16, 2013 5:42 AM PDT

I have this folder that I try to delete(nothing in it). when I click on the delete tab i get a message "could not find this item" but it's right there on my desktop. is there a way to remove it permanently from my computer.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't delete folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't delete folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try the other way?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't delete folder

Which is to click on the start button, type desktop, press enter and delete it from that view?

And since we can re-create that folder is it ever truly gone permanently?

In closing, no OS mentioned so this won't apply to most Apple and other OSes.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) this didn't work
by Jonathan Huffman / March 16, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
May not work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: this didn't work

No OS noted so I can't be sure. Your choice to supply details.

Collapse -
Details.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 6:28 AM PDT

Details such as: did you see that folder? In detail view also? What happened when you tried to delete it?

And more:
- Open the command prompt, go to that same Desktop folder and do a dir? Do you see it? Can you delete it?
- Do a chkdsk to see if that finds any errors.
- Reboot and log in as another user (with administrative capabilities). Try to delete it from there.
- Big trick: If you see it, set its (right click) hidden attribute. Then you don't see it any more (unless you've got your settings to show hidden files).

Kees

Collapse -
Folder
by pgc3 / March 19, 2013 2:20 AM PDT

Does it appear in PROGRAM FILES? As prior posters stated, more info, OS etc....

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: folder
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

1. Reboot
2. In Windows Explorer go to the Desktop folder in your own Windows profile. Something like c:\Users\yourname\Desktop. Set the view to 'detail'. Do you see that folder? Can you delete it?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Another thing or button.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 6:32 AM PDT

Click on the open area of the desktop. Tap F5 so the desktop refreshes it view of the Desktop folder you see Kees and I are writing about.

Sometimes it's just some leftover that needs the F5 refresh.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Unlocker
by The ancient one / August 11, 2013 10:16 AM PDT

You might try to get rid of this by downloading a program called "unlocker" from CNET. I have found this to be a most useful bit of software for getting rid of folders and files that "don't want to be deleted"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.