AVG forum

General discussion

Can't Delete AVG 9.0 - Tried Everything

by NorthBeachnik / November 22, 2009 10:02 AM PST

Lenovo T60 MS Win XP Pro SP# Intel Core2 T5500 1.66GHz 2GBRAM

We tried to delete AVG 9.0, the Free version downloaded between (we think)Nov 4, 2009 and Nov 11, 2009. Unfortunately, I wasn't home and my partner opened Control Panel and used Add/Remove Programs...which didn't work...didn't get all of it and the message was that the Uninstall Failed.

I tried to Uninstall it with AVG 9.0's own Uninstall. This did not work. I then opened Control Panel and tried that again. Uninstall Failed. I tried AVG's Uninstall again Failure again. However, each time I check off or unchecked differetn boxes now: about the Firewall, User Settings Keeping Viruses in the Vault.

Everything failed but it seemed that some choices, such as leaving User Settings behind and the Vault led to my getting further along with the Uninstall before the green bar stopped and the Uninstall Failed error message appeared.

And, of course, before I got more than halfway through the attempted Uninstall, each time AVG prompted me to stay and keep their Free Program. We wouldn't conside that; we've had such problems on the one of our two computers that has AVG installed on it. Such a shame because in earlier versions it used to be such a good, trouble-free program.

SO, I WENT TO CCLEANER. Well, that Uninstall attempt ran like all the others, except that the green bar got a little further before stopping but ultimately the Uninstall failed. When I analyzed the Registry within CCleaner I could see that there are still lines referring to AVG.

At some point during my attempts to rid our Lenovo of this AVG program there was a Windows error message (which prompted me to report to Windows:

"AVGWdsVC.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Does anyone have any advice for how to delete the entire AVG 9.0? We do not want to download it again from CNet.com. We've tried that twice and still have the same problems with it that we had before which are prompting us to try to delete it. And redownloading AVG 9.0 has not helped us to then Uninstall it in anyway.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Delete AVG 9.0 - Tried Everything
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Delete AVG 9.0 - Tried Everything
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uninstall AVG
by Dusan_AVG / November 23, 2009 5:47 AM PST
Collapse -
AVG Remover Program Seems to Work
by NorthBeachnik / November 23, 2009 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: Uninstall AVG

Hi Dusan!

Thank you! We ran the AVG Remover twice and it seems to have worked. There is no AVG when we go to Control Panel > Add/Remove. However, when we click on Start > Programs there is AVG 9.0 and under that AVG Tray Icon, AVG User Interface and AVG Uninstall.

Does this mean that there are still harmless registry keys in the System Registry? I ave only used RegEdit with someon on the phone walking me through the deletion and/or weriting of lines so I prefer not to do and regediting if I do not have to.

Is it now safe now to download AVG 8.5 or Avira (my partner has not decided yet)with no interference from these remnants of AVG 9.0 in the Registry? Or will AVG, should we choose that program, have some way to handle and/or delete the AVG 9.0 registry keys remaining?

(If anything goes wrong we have saed the Notepad file AVG Remover created during the Remove process).

Thanks again!

Collapse -
RE: AVG Remover Program Seems to Work
by Ondrej_AVG / November 23, 2009 8:38 PM PST

mentioned AVG9 shortcuts in your Start menu could be removed manually.

You could check these registry entries created by AVG9:

But very probably are already removed by AVG Remover usage.

AVG 8.5 could be downloaded from this direct link - http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afe

Collapse -
by ceo62 / November 5, 2010 9:59 AM PDT

I had problems going from 9 to 11, had trouble uninstalling. Your remover worked like a charm.

Collapse -
by pete_ca / November 7, 2010 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: THANK YOU

After using AVG for about 5-6 years I recently decided to move on after I had problems with newest version locking up both my XP and W7 machines; and removing said version. Never had any issues in the past with version upgrades.

Collapse -
Unable to get rid of stuff avg loaded nor reverse changes
by windboater / June 2, 2012 3:56 AM PDT

Used the removal tools but It hasn't done the job. I'm not sure if its because it never properly loaded in the first place or what. I kno it didn't work because AVG is still listed as my default search engine and the option to change the default is still locked. What else might be left I have no way of knowing.

HP pravillion 700 desk top w intel 1.66 processor and 1 gig of ram running XP pro

Collapse -
Re: Unable to get rid of stuff avg loaded nor reverse change
by Ondrej_AVG / June 3, 2012 5:39 PM PDT

Hello windboater,

Please follow instructions in this How-To article to remove AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search.

In case of any troubles, please describe the situation in more details (screenshot would be helpful as well).

Thank you

Collapse -
I finally got rid of AVG because it took over everything.
by azloafer / May 29, 2012 5:06 AM PDT

I used the control panel first. That seemed to work. Then every time I clicked to go anywhere it filled the page as if it was my homepage. After going through my files manually and removing any listing of AVG it still came back. Finally, I went to Internet options and there it was, it had replaced my home page link with AVG as the new default homepage. I removed it from the homepage box and replaced it with my homepage address. That got rid of AVG for good!

Collapse -
Re: I finally got rid of AVG because it took over everything
by Ondrej_AVG / May 29, 2012 4:02 PM PDT

Hello azloafer,

Please be informed that change of homepage for AVG Secure Search is an optional check-box during AVG installation (together with setting AVG Secure Search as default search provider).

In case you want to remove also AVG Secure Search as search provider, please follow these instructions.

I would recommend to run AVG Remover tool to remove all AVG related remained files and registry keys. As manual removal can left some remains, especially in registry.

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG is gone!
by azloafer / May 29, 2012 10:52 PM PDT

I never purposely put AVG in my PC to begin with. It must have been part of a download of something else and I didn't catch it. Anyway, I went through every file and even the registry to remove it and that seemed to be the only way to finally get rid of it. My PC is running like it should now. I was having strange freezes and it had slowed down. Gone, but not forgotten.

Collapse -
Uninstall it automatically
by JJRammy / September 24, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.