Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't defrag C drive

by riversr_work / January 3, 2008 8:10 AM PST

I am having a problem getting Defrag to run on my C drive. I've tried it several times and it runs to completion but then when I check it again it is still very fragmented and says that I should defrag it. It reports that my drive is about 35% fragmented. I tried booting in Safe mode, thought that might do the trick but got same results, which means it did nothing. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

rivers

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't defrag C drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't defrag C drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual fix is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Can't defrag C drive

To leave the drive about 50% empty and try it in SAFE MODE.

Collapse -
I was afraid someone would say that.
by riversr_work / January 3, 2008 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: The usual fix is

I'm going to have a really tough time gettting to 50% free space, but I will work on it.

Thanks,

rivers

Collapse -
35%
by James Denison / January 3, 2008 8:37 AM PST
Collapse -
You could try this.
by Y4 / January 3, 2008 10:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Scan your C: and how to do it....
by The Bob / January 3, 2008 2:49 PM PST

Hi!
Administrator mode:
Go to your C:
Right click on it
Properties
Tools
Scan ( the first one )
check the boxes
scan now
restart the computer
and let go, it will clean the red in your hard disk and after the rest of the red is videos ans pictures on your hard disk.
Sorry if i'm not clear cause I'm French but I'll try to do better if you do not understand.
Take care!

Collapse -
Got it!
by riversr_work / January 4, 2008 4:52 AM PST

I finally got it to work although it took a lot of work. I had to delete files to get it to at least 35% free space and then boot in Safe mode and run defrag about 10 times to finally get it down to a reasonable amount of fragmentation. Painful but it worked.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

rivers

Collapse -
Defrag
by Birdman1890P / January 4, 2008 8:59 AM PST

Keep defraggin" until it"s done... Rome wasn"t built in a day!!!

Collapse -
answer
by yogeshdl / January 4, 2008 12:35 PM PST

1)transfer your all data to another (except system data+add or remove programm) and then try to defrag it.
2)format your c-drive. using windows xp sp2 cd.

Collapse -
iobit smartdefrag optimize and defrag hard disk
by vmff / January 5, 2008 2:47 AM PST

It was worked for me very well,
please Try this:
www.iobit.com/SmartDefrag/index.html

Collapse -
Easy!
by thebug / January 5, 2008 6:56 AM PST

Just download Win ASO registry defrag program, works great. I think it's free!

Collapse -
Get Diskeeper
by Ivan Thomson / January 5, 2008 7:05 AM PST

Get/buy a copy of Diskeeper and use that instead of the built in defrager. Works faster and better.

Collapse -
Be careful of Diskeeper..................
by tallin / January 5, 2008 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Get Diskeeper

It disables your Windows Defragger and you cannot get it back unless you uninstall Diskeeper.

IOBit Smartdefrag worked well for me as an alternative to Auslogics Disk Defrag and of course Windows built in defragger.

Collapse -
DK is cool.
by SerengetiValley / January 7, 2008 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Get Diskeeper

I second Diskeeper too; it's a great defragger. Fast and safe, with plenty of options. It's also easy to use for the less technically inclined, if you dont want to mess with the configuration settings. You can try the evaluation versions for (I think) a month for free from Cnet's downloads section.

And to clear up disk space, there is nothing better than ccleaner. it's free and does a fantastic job of disposing off temporary files and resetting the browser caches.

Collapse -
Defrag C Drive
by rickhernandez7 / January 6, 2008 1:00 AM PST

I downloaded and Installed Auslogics Disk Defrag (Free), and I like it and it works!!!

Collapse -
+1 on Diskeeper
by psytropic / January 8, 2008 1:44 AM PST

The company that makes Diskeeper actually made the Windows 2000/XP Defrag utility. The Windows version is essentially a stripped down version.

Collapse -
defrag win xp
by sharkbite42 / May 10, 2010 9:21 AM PDT

when I try to defrag my windows xp, an error message appears saying "the scan has been canceled because an error occurred in file c:\windows\msimgsiz.dat

Do you have a fix?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.