Samsung

General discussion

Can't connect VCR to 1080p Samsung LED TV, but OK with Visio

by VCRTV / October 13, 2010 6:06 AM PDT

I have a new 1080p Samsung LED LCD TV (UN55B800), with HDMI and component video inputs but no AV(red, yellow and white) input. I tried to connect my VRC and lower-resolution DVD to the TV and got no video signal. The new DVD machine with up-convert feature I have has HDMI cable, and works on my 720p Visio LCD TV, but not on the Samsung. Similarly I have the same problem using the component video connection. The VCR I have is the DVD/VCR combo (GO-Video). It has AV (no AV input on the Samsung TV) and component video. I used the latter, but got no video signal on the TV. I suspect this problem is caused by the 1080p resolution of the TV, since my DVD works with the 720p Visio through HDMI.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect VCR to 1080p Samsung LED TV, but OK with Visio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect VCR to 1080p Samsung LED TV, but OK with Visio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't connect VCR to 1080p Samsung LED TV, but OK with Visio
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 13, 2010 6:21 AM PDT

VCRTV,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

You might check the output menu of the DVD player to see if changing the menu output resolution of the player itself might allow the TV to accept the signal through HDMI. Both DVD and VHS is standard, and 480 or under. The television will not support a VCR unless it's upconverted. If your player can send a signal, 480p or 720p are good resolutions to test on. For DVD upconverting, 720p or higher is ideal.

There is an AV input, and it doubles as the component input. If you use the "Y" input and the audio red-and-white cables to the far left, you should be able to use the AV input.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Can't connect to Samsung but OK with Vizio TV
by VCRTV / October 13, 2010 2:24 PM PDT

Thank you for the useful information. I will try the AV input (using the Y) for the VCR. I assume that input is resolution independent. Right? As for the upconverting DVD player using the HDMI connection to the Samsung TV, you suggested checking the output menu to see if the output resolution is right (OK if 720p or higher). However, I already know it works for the 720p Vizio TV. So it should work for the Samsung if the latter accepts 720p input. Does the Samsung require 1080p input?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 14, 2010 1:52 PM PDT

VCRTV,

No, and I don't think that 1080p will be possible through the AV input. That's usually a 480i/480p resolution.

Did changing the resolution help at all?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by VCRTV / October 15, 2010 3:20 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply. I didn't mean changing resolution with the AV input. My question was, can this Samsung TV display VCR content through the AV input?

To change resolution on the DVD player output through HDMI, I need to have it displayed on the TV. But now no display is possible through HDMI on the Samsung TV.

I also tried the component video. That should be resolution independent, right? Yet I still can't display DVD content on the 1080p Samsung.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 15, 2010 8:30 AM PDT

VCRTV,

It should be able to display through the AV input, I would imagine. But to get to that menu, you'd have to be able to see it. You might try connecting with the AV input, or to your other TV to change the resolutions, and then try re-connecting it to the TV.

If I'm on the wrong track, let me know and I'll see if I can give a more detailed explanation.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by VCRTV / October 16, 2010 5:06 AM PDT

Perhaps we are on a wrong track. There are two separate issues, one with VCR connecting to the Sumsung TV, and one with DVD player connecting to the same TV. I was able to view tapes played through the VCR connected to a 720p Vizio TV, but cannot do the same with the Samsung. First there was no AV input on the Samsung, but you helped me with that problem by suggesting that I connect the video out on the VCR to the Y part of the component video in on the Samsung TV. This does not work. There is no signal. I also tried to connect the component video on the VCR to the Samsung TV. This again does not work. The only way tonged some signal to the TV is through the antenna in on the TV using a coaxial cable. I get audio, but the video is extremely poor with lots of snow flakes. So much so that I cannot even make up a face. So the question is, why the VCR cannot be connected to the Samgsung TV when it works with a different brand of TV? This is not an issue of adjusting the resolution of the VCR.

The second problem I had was not being able to connect a DVD player using HDMI cable. The player has up convert feature and came with an HDMI cable. This player works fine with the 720p Vizio TV. The DVD player works through the component video with the Samsung.

Sorry for the confusion.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 18, 2010 10:20 AM PDT

VCRTV,

Okay, let's break this into two sections:

1. The DVD player and the VCR are two separate units, correct? Or is this an all-in-one system?

For the VCR, try Editing the Name of the input you're using for component from "----" to VCR.

Using your remote, press:

MENU > INPUT > Edit Name > (choose) VCR > [Enter]

It may then be able to take the VCR signal.

For the DVD player with an HDMI connection, I'm almost positive it has a resolution option in the DVD player's menu. DVDs are 480, and HDMI can send that signal, but if it's an upconverting DVD player as noted in your post, then upconverting would mean that the option to send a higher resolution exists.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by VCRTV / October 21, 2010 8:38 AM PDT

Let's focus on one problem at a time (I think I was causing confusion by asking you two issues): Can the Samsung TV be connected to a VCR? I have tried a stand-along VCR and a VCR/DVD combination. I have tried AV input into the Samsung TV, and I have tried component video input. No video or audio. I followed your instruction above to Edit Name (thank you, I didn't know about this before), but it does not seem to change anything other than the name of the label. I used the coaxial cable, I got the audio but a very very fuzzy video. I have almost come to the conclusion that the Samsung TV cannot use VCR as input. Is this generally true?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

VCRTV,

No worries. I didn't break it apart very well either. Let's try this again.

VCRs are compatible. But when you connect one to the component input, you have to use the yellow RCA lead to the Y input. And after that's done, you'll need to switch the input from "COMPONENT" to "AV". If the signal doesn't work, THEN try to edit the name of the input to some of the different options. If THAT doesn't work, then I'm at a loss as to why the VCR wouldn't work.

Now, for the VCR/DVD upconverting player, you should be able to connect most upconverting DVD players with HDMI, and that should send the signal correctly, again possibly editing the inputs may help, or checking the menu for which upconverted resolution is being from the player. But let's see if we can get the VCR up and running.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Can't connect VCR to Samsung but OK with Vizio TV
by VCRTV / October 26, 2010 2:54 AM PDT

Thank you for your patience. I did everything you instructed me to, but still connect the VCR to the Samsung TV. I would like to mention again that this is not a problem with my 720p Vizio TV. I just plug it into the yellow red and white AV input on that TV and everything worked. I thought it was 720p vs 1080p, and so I went out and purchased another Vizio TV, this time with 1080p, and it connects to my VCR with no fuss. I am suspecting that there is something wrong with the Samsung TV. I have two Samsung TV, and they both have this problem. It seems that using component video to double as AV does not work.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 26, 2010 2:24 PM PDT

VCRTV,

If you feel like there's a problem with the TV, you may want to have it inspected, particularly if it's still under warranty. I just don't know what else to suggest.

I appreciate your patience as well. I'm sorry we couldn't get it to work.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by VCRTV / October 27, 2010 8:28 AM PDT

I don't think it is a problem with this particular Samsung TV. As I said, I have two Samsung TVs, and they both have the same problem. Can you tell me yes or no if you know someone has ever connected a VCR to the Samsung TV?

Collapse -
Yes, you can connect a VCR to a Samsung TV
by D4Django / October 27, 2010 8:37 AM PDT

I have an LN32A550, and I can connect my old VCR to it. This is not a special VCR at all; in fact, it's kind of old and cranky. But it works with the red,white,and yellow jacks on the "AV IN 2" input. The output looks awful, but that's because of the age of the VCR, I think.

Collapse -
Yes, you can connect a VCR to a Samsung TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2010 10:50 AM PDT

All,

I'm continuing the message here since the thread got too deep.

It does sound a bit isolated, but let's try this from a different approach. With the unit connected and playing a VCR tape or DVD, try editing the name of the input:

MENU > Input > Edit Name

The options are: VCR / DVD / Cable STB / Satellite STB / PVR STB / AV Receiver / Game / Camcorder / PC / DVI PC / DVI / TV / IPTV / Blu-ray / HD DVD / and DMA

Scroll through those options and watch the picture behind it to see if one of the pre-sets catches the full picture and gives you a clearer picture as you're scrolling through them. If you find one that looks good, select [ENTER] and your input should be set.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Still can't connect to Samsung TV
by VCRTV / October 30, 2010 4:14 AM PDT

I tried and it does not work. Samsung LED TVs are slim and cool, but connectivity is a problem. I have two new Samsung 1080p TVs, and have concluded that there is no way to use its composite video to double as AV input for VCR.

Let's move on to the second problem: connection of an up converting DVD player to the Samsung TV through HDMI. Both of my Samsung 1080p TV do not connect. It does not work either with a relative's 720p Samsung TV. However the DVD connects with no fuzz to either the 720p Vizio TV, and now to my new 1080p, which I purchased last week to see if it is the difference between 720p and 1080p of the TV that caused the problem. You had earlier suggested that I somehow adjust the DVD's output to 720p. I was having problem doing that because I don't see the display on the Samsung TV to adjust from the online menu. Now with then new TV, I can see that the up converting DVD player is outputting at 720p without any adjustment. The 1080p Vizio has no problem displaying the image, but the Samsung can't, in either 720p or 1080p. In your experience, is my problem isolated or is it common among other Samsung customers?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 30, 2010 10:47 AM PDT

VCRTV,

I haven't seen this - it probably sounds cliche', but it's very rare that devices aren't able to connect to our TVs. Usually you'd have some company in the threads if this was common.

Most upconverting DVD players have HDMI. Does your player not have this connection?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by VCRTV / November 1, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

To answer your question:
"Most upconverting DVD players have HDMI. Does your player not have this connection?" Yes, I was trying to connect the DVD player through HDMI but couldn't make it work with the Samsung TV. You had suggested that I adjust the HDMI resolution to 720p or higher. My previous message was to tell you that the DVD is outputting at 720p.

Collapse -
Still can't connect to Samsung TV -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 1, 2010 8:39 AM PDT

VCRTV,

I'm at a dead end. I don't know why it would play on one TV and not the other.

I haven't heard of any of these issues happening with other devices - I mean, it's really rare that you find a standard device that doesn't work across the board with different brands of TV.

Unfortunately, my expertise is tapped. The input resolutions, signals and editing the name of the inputs do it for almost every case I've seen. I don't know why it's not working in this case.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you!
by VCRTV / November 2, 2010 1:33 PM PDT

Thank you for your patience and help. I have learned a lot from you.

Collapse -
Can't connect DVR to Samsung LED Series 56
by bslynn2008 / December 15, 2014 11:39 PM PST

I am having the same problem, with 2 separate Samsung TV's. I have been trying to connect a Toshiba DVR620/ VCR DVR combo to my Samsung LED Series 56TV and my Samsung LCD Series 6 TV. I have tried every connection available. I have tried the RCA cables, I have tried several HDMI cables (thinking it was a problem with the cheaper of the 2 cables). I can view a VCR tape or a DVD, but I can not get a signal to record programs from the TV. At this point I am positive it is the Samsung TV. I can connect the new DVR to an old Toshiba TV (2006) and it works fine, but I connect it to my brand new "Smart TV" (2014) or the Samsung 6 Series (2011) and it doesn't work. SAMSUNG... HELP US!!

Collapse -
HD
by Highland_Logan / December 17, 2014 2:37 AM PST

You VCR may be analog only. With the signals in North America (and most of the rest of the world) gone to digital in 2011 (or earlier), you would require a converter box to use a VCR to record.

Frank

Collapse -
But the new Samsung TV does not have AV input
by VCRTV / October 28, 2010 4:39 AM PDT

That was the whole problem. We were trying to make the composite video input double as an AV input and that does not appear to work.

Collapse -
no signal connecting devices to Samsung LED TV
by goldhoney7 / July 25, 2011 11:54 PM PDT

I have just bought a new Samsung LED TV and cannot get a signal from my Wii or Optus D2 Satellite box using the AV component converter thingy. I cannot see any reason in the wide world why it won't recognise a signal through the red, white & yellow cables that I have plugged into the AV converter which came with the TV. Judging by the forum, seems to be a bit of a problem with Samsung TV's! If you have any suggestions, please help!!!

Collapse -
3 things to display VCR AV output to Samsung Component input
by VCR_Fixer / April 8, 2013 2:07 PM PDT

I spent 3 hrs fixing mothers new Samsung to display VCR video. The previous info from Samsung is helpful but incomplete.

1) Remove the 3 cables going into Samsung Component input. (The 3 coming from DVD output)
2) Insert the single VCR AV output cable to "Y" Samsung Component input. The other 2 CANNOT BE USED.
3) Change Samsung input source to AV using remote control
Source --> AV

Note 1: If AV does not highlight in menu, re-power Samsung and repeat. All 3 Component input cables MUST be removed! Step 2 only.
Note 2: Editing name from "AV ---" to "AV VCR" is not needed but is nice.
Note 3: VCR might display using Component input, but is badly distorted, you must use AV input for proper display

To watch DVD, reverse this procedure. jj

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.