Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Can't connect to wireless, signal strength is strong

by dkennedy101 / February 25, 2012 2:49 AM PST

Hi guys,
Just installed XP on an old laptop and am unable to connect to the internet. I can see the wireless networks available, signal strength is strong but unable to connect.

I have 2 other computer in my house that are accessing the Internet through the same router (1 direct connected, 1 wireless) so no issues there.

ipconfig/all output:

E:\Documents and Settings\David>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david-ee8ad9b80
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-CC-C5-C8

Hope someone can help, thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect to wireless, signal strength is strong
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect to wireless, signal strength is strong
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 2:56 AM PST

about this XP install on the laptop.

The general cause for the problem you have is drivers. Did you install all the drivers this laptop needs to run XP? The XP Setup CD doesn't have those and doesn't do it for you, and neither does Microsoft through Windows Device Manager.

Mark

Collapse -
Where are the drivers?
by dkennedy101 / February 25, 2012 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Tell us more

Thanks for your reply, where would i get the correct drivers or how do i check the drivers i need to have?

Collapse -
Answer
This is exactly what MY XP LAPTOP DID.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 5:08 AM PST

It had a great signal but would not connect until I installed all the Service Packs and a wifi driver from my laptop's maker.

Since this is a fresh install, it should not connect yet.
bob

Collapse -
Drivers
by dkennedy101 / February 25, 2012 5:15 AM PST

I installed the drivers from the disk that came with the laptop, maybe i need to update to service pack 2, not sure how to check if its already installed.

Collapse -
Service Pack 2 and 3 add
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers

WPA and WPA2 capability and more.

Since you know that XP knew so little about wifi and wifi changed over the years, a fresh install means for most of us no Wifi.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
PS. Some restores include NORTON
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 5:25 AM PST

And since it's very old, it will expire just after install and shutdown internet access. Be sure you have removed that and installed something current.

Collapse -
Service pack 2 and 3
by dkennedy101 / February 25, 2012 5:50 PM PST

Service pack 2 and 3 are already installed on my system so its up to date. I have also installed the latest version drivers for my Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG NA but still unable to connect.

Any other ideas? I think its a simple solution but i'm not very experienced with using windows so not sure what to check. or look for.

There is no anti-virus software on my system so no issues there either.

Collapse -
Let's say the install was XP (i have to guess this)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 6:52 PM PST
In reply to: Service pack 2 and 3

And if your next step was not an antivirus there are too many pests that can crawl on and make trouble.

I also have to guess that you are not blocking your own machine with MAC FILTERS at the router.

Keep telling more and we might find it. But I can't ask the over 100 questions to find what it is. But if you told more, we might see it.
Bob

Collapse -
More details
by dkennedy101 / February 25, 2012 7:51 PM PST

As my op stated "Just installed XP", so yes its XP Happy

Not sure what information you want me to give you. All drivers updated using driver disk that came with the laptop. I can see the signal but can't connect. I have tried connecting using a cable and the lights on the router indicate the connection is live but still no Internet access.

Collapse -
It could be as simple as WEP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: More details

But looking up this discussion is dieing for information.

For now, go try a hotspot like Panera Bread.
Bob

Collapse -
Unable to connect.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: Service pack 2 and 3

Are you sure you have entered the right password?

If you say "I am unable to connect" interpret it as "I'm trying to connect but there's some error". That's quite something else than "I'm not connected". .
Does it say something about "limited or no connectivity" if you hover the mouse over the wireless icon in the task bar?
What exactly happens if you do a "ipconfig /renew"?

Kees

Collapse -
Yep, i'm sure
by dkennedy101 / February 25, 2012 7:57 PM PST
In reply to: Unable to connect.

Password is correct. It does not say "limited or no connectivity".

Wireless networks found, shows a list of networks, i choose my network and it tries to connect, then "unable to connect..."

Tried ipconfig /renew. Error message "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected". Not sure what that means.

Collapse -
Re: media disconnected
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Yep, i'm sure
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22media+disconnected%22 seems to have a lot of useful hits. Some are even marked "solved".

Just as a diagnostic, did you try that laptop elsewhere, for example a public WiFi at Starbucks or whatever public WiFi you have around? Or the wireless of a friend or family member?

Kees
Collapse -
And ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: Re: media disconnected

I read the first hit that mentioned "solved". This was the way it was done:

"Thank you...it turns out that it is a much simpler problem. The WLAN switch was turned off somehow by accident. It is on the front of the laptop beneath the card reader drive. Works like a charm, now."

Would be somewhat embarrassing, wouldn't it, if that turned out to be your issue. It makes sense to use that switch in an airplane ("turn off WiFi") and to make your battery last somewhat longer if you don't need it. But it should be turned to "on" again for the wireless to work.
Of course, there might be other causes.

Kees

Collapse -
Wish it was such a stupid solution
by dkennedy101 / February 25, 2012 8:55 PM PST
In reply to: And ...

however, its not. No switch turned off. I'll go through the list of tips on other sites and look on some technical forums.

You must work in IT with questions like "is it switched on" and "Are you sure you have entered the right password?" lol

Collapse -
I'm still thinking..
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 3:41 AM PST

drivers.

It's just your initial information in your top post, viz;

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

{My underlining}

Can you look at your Device Manager and tell us what it says for this device? I think it is disconnected because there is no driver installed for it.

Mark

Collapse -
Same here
by AXISOFWHO / September 9, 2013 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm still thinking..

My Win XP laptop is experiencing almost the same issue. I CAN connect to my own wireless network and certain others but when I get to my brother's house, I am unable to connect to his network; despite it showing a very strong signal. Whenever I enter his wifi credentials, it attempts to connect but then says unable to connect to network. The password entered is correct, because I temporarily enable the feature where you can see the password you're entering, but still no dice. My XP system has been updated to SP 3 and I have recently upgraded all drivers available for ethernet and wireless. Of course, I am able to connect to his network, using a wired connection.

Collapse -
Good clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here

At the office we have one last XP laptop. Yes it is XP! The one with no service packs. If we reload the XP from the maker, it will not connect to any WiFi that is WPA or WPA2 protected.

Even with service packs it won't connect.

If we use Microsoft's driver update it won't connect.

It will only connect after we install the latest driver from the maker's web site.

-> This seems to be must too hard for most users to get done. Maybe it's time for XP to go away?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Check Authentication settings.
by SlamX / September 17, 2013 7:07 AM PDT

Go into wireless network connections properties. Open change order of networks. Highlight your network and click properties. Click on authentication tab and make sure it is unchecked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.