Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Can't connect to my wireless router

by krazilogicz-2171865357884 / April 14, 2006 8:45 PM PDT

Hi all,
Im new here; Dave's the name. love the whole community thing just hope yez can help me out with this problem ive had for MONTHS lol.

Ok, i have a wireless router; (WGR614v4 to be exact) and i cannot connect to it at all. when i say cant connect i mean i cant login in to it to tell it my details etc....

PLEASE help. Im also using a Creative Broadband Blaster modem... Could that be stopping it??

Please help... It's really frustrating... lol

Thanks all,
Dave

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect to my wireless router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect to my wireless router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also:
by krazilogicz-2171865357884 / April 14, 2006 8:48 PM PDT

Oh and i also forgot to mention: in my manual it says the power light should always be green... But mine is Orange... Any ideas???

Thanks,
Dave

Collapse -
If a hardware problem....
by Michael Geist / April 15, 2006 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Also:

exists with the router, make it a Netgear problem. Exercise your warranty.

Collapse -
Netgear support and warranty
by plainjp / April 15, 2007 1:26 AM PDT

Hi all Jim here.

Just spent a month trying to resolve problems with my netgear router (624 model). This is the second netgear router gone bad in less than a year. I have spent about $75.00 in service calls (1 for each router) and a month of emailing to have netgear tell me the router is bad. Their warranty replacement solution is to mail back the defective router and then they will send a replacement...a 2 week time frame and I have to pay shipping; or I can pay about $20.00 to have them ship a new router before shipping mine...or pay above that to have next day shipping. I told them this was unacceptable...needless to say I will be going out this week and purchasing a link sys router.

Collapse -
I try it
by PudgyOne / April 15, 2007 9:32 AM PDT

Hook up as follows

ISP router/modem > Netgear

Now plug everything in and turn the isp modem on first.

Now turn on the Netgear router. In the back on the router is a reset button. Push it in for ten seconds and wait for it to reset.

Now plug in the ethernet cable to your computer. Plug the other end of the ethernet cable into a numbered port of the router, 1,2,3 or 4.

Login to the router.

http://192.168.0.1( this will be your login, unless you change your LAN ip address. If you change it then, click start, click run
click command, type ipconfig /all and look for the default gateway. this will be your new number to put in the address bar to log in.)

Once your in, You can either use the setup wizard or configure it yourself.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgr614v4_install_guide.pdf

Firmware update is found here

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v4.asp

Rick

Collapse -
User name and password
by PudgyOne / April 15, 2007 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I try it

I forgot to tell you.

For security reasons, the router has its own user name and password. When prompted, enter admin for the router username and password for the router password, both in lower case letters.

Rick

Collapse -
Usernam and password
by gorillaz101 / April 28, 2007 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: User name and password

I tried typing admin and password in as my details but it only closed the prompt box and then re-opened it signalling that my username and/or password was incorrect. Any ideas on how I can get my username/password?

Collapse -
We need to know
by PudgyOne / April 28, 2007 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Usernam and password

what router you are using and the model number.

The passwords vary, depending on make and model.

Also please tell us what country you are in, I noticed there are different passwords for those models, also.

Rick

Collapse -
Username/Password
by Lyford78 / July 14, 2010 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Usernam and password

try looking for the very small hole where you can stick a pen. press and hold that for 30 seconds. that is to bring back the default password and user which is what you have now. then try logging back in with it.

Collapse -
Dude!
by PolloLoco70363 / September 12, 2009 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I try it

Rick
I have been trying for months and doing all I can think of to get my 'puter to recognize my router! Thanks for the info...so simple! LOL

Collapse -
How to find the WEP on my PC ^ Laptop
by naafi25years / July 28, 2008 1:51 AM PDT

I am trying to connect a PSP to the internet for my friend. I do not know what the password is for WEP entry. Can anyone help me to obtain the password or how I can connect to my wireless router to look at the config to obtain the WEP

Thanks a million for any help.
Cheers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.