Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Can't connect to internet with IE

by Paul Muntz / October 29, 2010 2:33 PM PDT

I've got an HP laptop running Win 7 Home Premium. When I open IE all I get is "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page." I know it is connecting to the internet because it downloaded the updates. I downloaded AVG, Adaware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy on another computer. I put these files on a cd. I tried to install AVG and Spybot but they wouldn't install because they couldn't connect to the internet to get the necessary files to install. I've had this problem on friends computer some time ago but can't remember exactly what I did to fix it. I'm pretty sure it was some virus/hijacker or something similar. Anybody run across this before and have any idea how to solve it?
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect to internet with IE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect to internet with IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First thing, check the Proxy Settings.
by MDFlax / October 29, 2010 10:04 PM PDT

Open IE, then goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Connections tab. Find the "LAN Settings" button and click that. In the new dialog window are there any entries for Proxy Settings?

If so, remove all the options in that window and click OK/Apply/OK. I assume you do not normally connect to the internet using a Proxy Server.

Re-open IE and see if it connects to the internet.

Does that help?

Mark

Collapse -
By the way...
by MDFlax / October 29, 2010 10:08 PM PDT

if that works, I would reconsider using Spybot S&E and Lavasoft's AdAware. They were great utilities in the past but we often find that, with today's anti-virus utilities, Spybot's TeaTimer and Lavasoft's AdWatch components interfere with the anti-virus background scanner, and cause conflict and performance issues.

Find another manual scanner like;
Malwarebytes' Anti-malware or
SUPERAntiSpyware

Mark

Collapse -
Fine now
by maddmann75 / October 30, 2010 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: By the way...

I uninstalled the Norton junk on the machine. I did get Adaware to run and it didn't find anything. I can now connect to the internet. I installed Spybot and AVG and both came back clean. It must have been Norton junk installed.
Thanks all

Collapse -
Well done
by MDFlax / October 30, 2010 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Fine now

Good find. It's not a good idea to have more than one anti-virus installed, so nice work finding the problem, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Collapse -
cant open ie i click and it doesn't come up
by pdee94 / December 11, 2012 6:07 AM PST

can't open IE I click on it and it doesnt' come up

Collapse -
Since You've Stepped Into A TWO Year Old Thread...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 9:01 AM PST

I'll suggest that most members won't respond here...and if you'd like to get more suggestions to your question, please start a new thread, making sure to give all the pertinent computer and program information (make and model, operating system used, version of Internet Explorer used, error messages, etc.)_so others can offer good educated fixes for your issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.