Windows Legacy OS forum

can't connect to internet after installing Win XP

by FamilyMan1426 / February 17, 2012 6:52 AM PST

Hey all, this is crazy. i had a PC in Win's an older PC but still running ok. The only problem was the HD was too small. So I swapped out the HD and installed Win XP SP2 on that one. I still had the Windows Installation disc that came w the PC.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't connect to internet after installing Win XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't connect to internet after installing Win XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What connection?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2012 6:57 AM PST

What PC?

Some have use install more apps or the stock installs an old Norton that blocks the internet since it's out of date.

Collapse -
Typo, ugg.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2012 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: What connection?
Collapse -
1394 connection? Yellow lights?
by Steven Haninger / February 17, 2012 7:46 AM PST

That's not Ethernet. It's firewire. And your Ethernet port LED should be green. You'll need to tell more about the XP disk as to whether it's a standard OEM copy, retail copy or a manufacturer's disk that came with the PC. If it's not one designed for that PC's hardware, your issue starts with missing drivers which seem all to common to forget about.

Collapse -
Dell Dimension 8400
by FamilyMan1426 / February 17, 2012 10:06 AM PST

Norton definitely is not on the PC. it's bare bones. nothing is on here except Windows XP SP2

Collapse -
1394 Net Adapter is listed under Network Adapters
by Coryphaeus / February 17, 2012 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Dell Dimension 8400

Standard and normal for Firewire. You are going to have to research the Network controler and Ethernet device. Then install the drivers. If this is built into the motherboard you need to dig out the board specifications. You might visit the Dell web site for Ethernet drivers.

Collapse -
Since it is a Dell ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2012 11:36 AM PST

Dimension 8400 start here on a PC that has Internet and enter the Service Tag number for the PC with problems:

That will get you to the pages with the proper peripheral and motherboard drivers for the specific service tag entered.

Download and install them and once your NIC has its drivers driving it you will be able to get connected properly.

Collapse -
Your "Other Devices" exclamation points are telling
by Steven Haninger / February 17, 2012 7:20 PM PST

You said one is for the Ethernet controller. This means no driver is installed. No driver means no Ethernet network which, in turn, means no internet through it. As mentioned, you will need the driver. Why it didn't load automatically from your disk I don't know. I wonder if it's possible that some add in Ethernet card exists in your machine. This is something I have seen to happen when an on board device has failed or the user felt was inadequate. Make sure you don't have 2 Ethernet jacks on the machine. As well, your restore disk just might have the controller on it and a way to navigate to it manually but I can't tell that from where I am sitting. The trip to the Dell site should find your driver if all else fails.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.