Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Can't connect my PC to wireless n router

by jmmr1969 / June 5, 2011 1:09 PM PDT

Upgraded my router from g to n. Easily connected my laptop, itouch, iphone. My wireless g card in my windows xp desktop sees the new wireless n network and tries to connect, but it times out and cannot connect. Restarted computer, didn't help. What now?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect my PC to wireless n router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect my PC to wireless n router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Did you set your router to allow G connections?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2011 3:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Says it is backward compatible for a/b/g
by jmmr1969 / June 5, 2011 8:17 PM PDT

Must I config the router to allow G connections?

Collapse -
Router
by jmmr1969 / June 5, 2011 8:38 PM PDT

The dlink router says 802.11 Mode: 11bgn
Does this or does this not mean it is already set to allow g signal to connect?

Collapse -
Where does it say that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Router

And yes you must configure it or KNOW it is configured. It's not automatic.

There may be other reasons such as the RF Channel is at 13 but I'm starting with what you posted.
Bob

Collapse -
It says that when I connect/log-in to the router
by jmmr1969 / June 6, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

The router is a d-link DIR 655. The channel is 6. I did not see anywhere to change the setting to allow certain signals. I am "assuming" it should be connecting because of the above post/info about the 802.11 Mode begin set to 11bgn. Do you any other thoughts...

Collapse -
Cool. Let's use the simulator.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 9:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Router details/settings in the "Wireless LAN" section
by jmmr1969 / June 6, 2011 11:10 AM PDT

The emulator varies only slightly to mine. There is "mixed". This what my router reads...

Wireless Radio: Enabled
802.11 Mode: 11bgn
Channel Width: 20/40 MHz
Channel: 6
WISH: Inactive
Wi-Fi protect setup: Enabled/configured

Collapse -
For a test, set the wifi security to none.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 4:25 AM PDT

Some devices won't connect to some security choices.

Sorry I can't know all the combos. I have to test what works where and with what.
Bob

Collapse -
Some success!
by jmmr1969 / June 8, 2011 11:22 AM PDT

On the router, I was able to set an individual IP address to accept on the network. I set a new IP address on the computer and copied that MAC address to match the same on the router. But on the desktop, I did not know the DNS server address so I left it blank. My Wireless Network Connection box now says that I am connected to the network, but Internet explorer says that I have no connection. I assume that it is because I have not set the DNS address. If so, how do I obtain that number?

Collapse -
AHA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Some success!

Are you using MAC filters? Those give folk far too much pain.

Collapse -
MAC filters?
by jmmr1969 / June 10, 2011 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: AHA.

Not sure what MAC filters are. What should I be trying next?

Collapse -
If this was mine I would.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: MAC filters?

Reset the router to factory defaults and if the default is wifi disabled (some arrive like that) turn it back on.

After this many posts details are still not being told. I hope members will realize it's up to them to tell all. Firmware versions, settings and such. These problems involve so much that to ask all 34 questions with each new post would tire everyone out.

Start over and hope it's some setting that is amiss.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.