LG forum

Question

Can't connect GT540 to PC using cable

by andrewafresh / February 21, 2012 9:02 PM PST

when I connect usb cable from phone to pc, nothing happens.

I have downloaded the usb driver update from LG and still the same.

please can someone advise?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect GT540 to PC using cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect GT540 to PC using cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
While I've fixed too many of these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 2:00 AM PST

I've encountered far too many home built PCs that the drivers for the OS were not installed. I see the make, model of the phone but the PC?

But this looks to be an OLD PHONE (2010 is OLD!)
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_gt540_optimus-3081.php

What makes you think it's USB is alive?
Bob

Collapse -
Can't connect GT540 to PC using cable
by andrewafresh / February 22, 2012 2:35 AM PST

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply.
I think the USB port is alive because
(1) I can use a memory stick through it and
(2) when I connect the phone through it, it shows up in the 'Safely remove hardware' display; then I double-click the B2CAppSetup.exe , I say yes i want to run it, it has a progress bar which fills up with dots, ZoneAlarm then asks if the LG tool can connect to internet - I say yes, then nothing else happens.
I can now see LGuserCStool.exe in task manager but it's not using CPU.
None of the dialogue boxes shown in the 'phone update' section of "http://www.lg.com/uk/android/index.jsp" appear on my screen.
The phone's display looks normal, it does not say it is connected to PC or that it's updating software.
My PC runs XP home edition sp 2 ; processor is AMD Athlon 64.
Andrew

Collapse -
There are more clues that your PC is not ready.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 2:46 AM PST

I see SP2 and not SP3. I see the AMD and frankly I find AMD systems harder on users to get the drivers right.

There is more to the USB than memory stick use. I'd try this on some off the shelf LAPTOP with a preinstalled Windows as a test. Or let some friends try it out.

-> I do not mean to upset you but XP on such a machine is rough on today's users.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.